Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Re: Where to Field Dress?

I ask hunters on our property to carry a trash bag for the pile. It's only a matter of time before our dogs are guaranteed to sniff them out!

The upside is I'll bring a tractor out to pick up and haul the deer for you.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Lancaster County)

Funny story.....the first time I shot a deer on my brothers property (liberal, yuppie type....), he saw me dragging it out and asked what I did with the guts. I told him I left them in the woods. His eyes got all big and He told me he would go pick them up and dispose of them. (me - why?) So after I left and he had painstakingly picked up all the guts and put them in the trash, he looks out his window and sees a fox licking the spot where the guts had been. So now he feels bad that he has deprived Mr. Fox of a meal, so he proceeds to get the guts back out of the trash and puts them back in the woods. Those were some well traveled/handled guts

Naturally, the gut pile was completely gone the next day.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Funny story.....the first time I shot a deer on my brothers property (liberal, yuppie type....), he saw me dragging it out and asked what I did with the guts. I told him I left them in the woods. His eyes got all big and He told me he would go pick them up and dispose of them. (me - why?) So after I left and he had painstakingly picked up all the guts and put them in the trash, he looks out his window and sees a fox licking the spot where the guts had been. So now he feels bad that he has deprived Mr. Fox of a meal, so he proceeds to get the guts back out of the trash and puts them back in the woods. Those were some well traveled/handled guts

Yuppie means: devoid of reality
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post

The big question is: will he learn from this or do the same thing and put guts in the trash if it happens again?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    The big question is: will he learn from this or do the same thing and put guts in the trash if it happens again?
    this was years ago. All succeeding gut piles were left in woods.......to the delight of foxes, raccoons, crows, vultures, coyotes, etc.

(Bucks County)

Tag and field dress b/4 moving. This opening Saturday I shot a buck near camp.

Sunday was colder and we had some sleet/light snow.

Walked past the spot on Monday morning and there was nothing left but some blood and disturbed leaves.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wis bang View Post
    Tag and field dress b/4 moving. This opening Saturday I shot a buck near camp.

Sunday was colder and we had some sleet/light snow.

Walked past the spot on Monday morning and there was nothing left but some blood and disturbed leaves.
    I hunt on my own and some neighboring properties, and this has been my experience with gut piles. They never last more than a day. Our dog has a confined roaming area, so that is not a problem. I just gut them where I find them unless it is in thick brush.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Carbon County)

Must be a lot of coyotes where you people live. I find whole deer that have been laying a while. Gut piles too.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Yuppie means: devoid of reality
    Liberal means devoid of common sense
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

Fwiw, where I hunt, I end up loading the deer in the truck and gutting them at home. The property has limited woods, and is surrounded by higher end homes, so in order to keep the privilege of hunting there, we hang them and gut them. Then dispose of the guts in a nearby strip of woods. The property owner is glad to have me hunting her land, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast