Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default .41 magnum home defense loads

I am honored that you have allowed me to post mail to this site, and I will make my message short and to the point. I have looked everywhere and can find only "full blast" magnum loads for the .41 magnum. I am a disabled american vet and can no longer even consider running away from threats in my home to my wife or myself. I own a pristine 6" mod. 57 Smith&Wesson which needs to fill two roles: as a hunting weapon it suits my needs well but the second need is for a reasonably powerful load with a lead load SWC at around 850-950 fps. We live way out in the country, so I am not particularly concerned about overpenetration, as long as I can obtain a load which is effective without deafening me, should I need it (God forbid) or causing temporary blindness if needed at night. Has anyone out there in "reloading land" tried such a load and could you please pass it on to me? I thank you in advance and pray God's blessings on you all! David Berry

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: .41 magnum home defense loads

Dave,

My LEE reloading manual lists some interesting loads for the 41 Mag that may interest you.

170 gr bullet using HP38 powder, starting load 6.7 grs @ 845 fps maxing out with 7.4 grs @ 929

170 gr bullet using HS7 powder, 13.1 grs starting load @ 1154 fps maxing out with 14.5 grs and 1269 fps.

Both loads should be lower recoil and much easier to control while still offering approx 40 S&W performance.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Chester County)

In addition to the loads that Holleta has mentioned, check out the loads listed at:
    http://www.handloads.org/loaddata/de...Powder&Source=

There are a few in the 900-1000 fps range w/200 gr. lead loads.

Or check out:

http://www.reloadammo.com/41loads.htm

Just in terms of my personal thoughts: If you're looking for a lead self defense load that doesn't kick to much, in the 850-950 fps range, you might want to consider a soft lead hollow point (if you can find it) or JHP in the 210 gr. or less range. Anything over that is going to have more kick to it than I think you're looking for.

The other alternative for you is to contact someone like Double Tap Ammo or Buffalo Bore. While those guys are famous for really, really hot self defense loads -- they're also willing to work up specialty loads. So, you can call them up, tell them exactly what you want, they'll develop a safe load (based on commercially available components), load a few boxes for you, and then give you the recipe.

If I were going to hand load self defense loads, I'd definitely have DT or BB load a few boxes for me first, just to make sure they work well. Or you can even just have them load up the self defense loads and use those without bothering to handload your own.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

Thumbs up Re: .41 magnum home defense loads

To: Rule10b5 & Holleta & all the others who have answered my posting of last night so very quickly and constructively. I have been a reloader for myself and several police departments since the early 70's, but I had kind of dropped out of the use of handloads for several years. I just recently inherited my mod. 657 from my father, who passed away last week. He didn't fire it much, as he didn't care for the recoil. I am not recoil-sensitive, but have had a lot of experience investigating firearms-related hearing injuries, as I was also a Weapons Officer and Firearms Instructor. Too many times I have seen officers have to retire early due to permanently induced hearing loss after they had fired their magnum-caliber weapons at various and sundry perps while answering a call in a domicile or other enclosed space.
    Back to the subject of the .41 Mag, I had never had to work up loads for this caliber, as Dad always trusted only factory loads, and in his later years couldn't get around much. Again, I just want to express my appreciation to you all for your assistance, and if you have any inquiries of me, please don't hesitate to drop me a posting. Thank you and God bless, Dave Berry

(Allegheny County)

Look at Corbons 170 gr. at about 1275 fps. That is well below the magnum 170 gr loads that are available. I shot a good many in a 28oz Taurus Tracker and they were pleasant to shoot

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/inde...e51d6c152b95ec