Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Smile DEL-TON AR-15s OPINIONS ?

Got a chance to get several un fired but can only attest to Rugers ARs and how the Del Tons compare ? My Ruger has over 5,000 rounds mixed bag of 223 and 556 never been cleaned yet to see the reliability of my Ruger does.So the Del Tons ?

Default Re: DEL-TON AR-15s OPINIONS ?

Just one of numerous entry level AR's. IMO at this point it's all about price. If they're cheap grab them. It's money in the bank IMO.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Just one of numerous entry level AR's. IMO at this point it's all about price. If they're cheap grab them. It's money in the bank IMO.
    Pretty much.

There are certainly worse options than that.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Allegheny County)

Back in 2007 when I first started into the AR15 thing, DelTon was a good, solid choice for something that wouldn't put you in the poor house.

Now there are a gazillion choices and they didn't seem to make an effort to keep their name out there, so lots of people never heard of them and think they are yet another new player in the game with no track record.

I wouldn't have an issue with one. I have one build with a DelTon lower.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Back in 2007 when I first started into the AR15 thing, DelTon was a good, solid choice for something that wouldn't put you in the poor house.

Now there are a gazillion choices and they didn't seem to make an effort to keep their name out there, so lots of people never heard of them and think they are yet another new player in the game with no track record.

I wouldn't have an issue with one. I have one build with a DelTon lower.
    How's that lower holding up?
    I've got a DelTon sport lite (the slick side pencil barrel model) that I was planning on using as a dedicated 22lr platform but my plans changed, now I've got this rifle and I'm undecided what to do with it now. I've been considering buying another upper for it, or just selling the whole thing.
    Just for the sake of comparison the DelTon lower verses a PSA lower, I would say the PSA is just a hair better but not by much. The PSA trigger is better and the controls seem like a tad better quality.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    How's that lower holding up?
    I've got a DelTon sport lite (the slick side pencil barrel model) that I was planning on using as a dedicated 22lr platform but my plans changed, now I've got this rifle and I'm undecided what to do with it now. I've been considering buying another upper for it, or just selling the whole thing.
    Just for the sake of comparison the DelTon lower verses a PSA lower, I would say the PSA is just a hair better but not by much. The PSA trigger is better and the controls seem like a tad better quality.
    I guess I didn't specify, but I bought the lower with LPK minus fire control group and I don't know what brand those few parts are.
    I can't really compare it other than visually - the DelTon looks essentially identical in machining, engraving, and finish to a PSA lower I have.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I guess I didn't specify, but I bought the lower with LPK minus fire control group and I don't know what brand those few parts are.
    I can't really compare it other than visually - the DelTon looks essentially identical in machining, engraving, and finish to a PSA lower I have.
    I agree, I was actually pleasantly surprised that the machining and so forth of the lower receiver does seem right on par with PSA. The main difference I can tell is the feel of the controls, and that's a very small difference.
    Honestly, the biggest gripe I have with my DelTon lower is it uses a commercial buffer tube and everything else I have has a milspec tube, that's a little aggravating. Not all DelTons have a commercial tube though so that's just my issue.
    The Hostler

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Got a chance to get several un fired but can only attest to Rugers ARs and how the Del Tons compare ? My Ruger has over 5,000 rounds mixed bag of 223 and 556 never been cleaned yet to see the reliability of my Ruger does.So the Del Tons ?
    If you can get them at a good low price I'd get them. They are an entry level rifle but I can say, over the years, I've transferred a good number of them to customers and I really haven't heard any complaints (and these are regular customers and they would let me know if they weren't happy). As said, they never seemed to do a lot of advertising, I think that early on, because of their pricing, maybe they figured that word of mouth would be enough. If you remember, in the beginning there were tiers of AR's:

Tier 1: (A, B, C) Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt
    Tier 2: Rock River, Stag, DPMS
    Tier 3: Del-Ton, Olympic, Rainier

Then the big boys got started producing them and now it is the most popular modern sporting rifle in the US.

Again, I don't think there is anything basically "wrong" with a Del-Ton
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Del-Ton is solid. I believe they are one of the non gucci companies that MPI all their bolts (not batch test). That being said I think they still use an ar-15 bolt carrier as opposed to a full auto profile. Does this matter? Probably not. Also, (and this is where my memory gets a little fuzzy) I believe they use a "high shelf" lower, so in theory if you had a registered auto sear, you would need to use a different lower or get the Del-Ton lower machined. Is this an issue for most? Again, likely not.