Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: .22 crickett rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic View Post
    Thanks i have read that the 22lr kills coyotes and even wild boars etc
    There are cases on record where grizzly bears have been killed with a 22lr, but that does not make it a good idea. You should make up a mock up of a small rifle (maybe a nice walking stick would do) and carry it around a while to see if that actually works with your fishing experience. Back when I used to fish a lot, I never could have made it work and still done my fishing very well.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Erie County)

And I have read that Davey Crocket grinned down bears.

(Northumberland County)

Why not a revolver in 22lr/22mag or 38/357? Much easier to keep at hand yet also out of your way in a holster, has multi shot capability, and allows for snake/rat shot mini shells (actually hitting a snake can be easier said than done with normal bullets, especially if you're under duress), etc. Heritage Rough Rider revolvers cost about the same as that cricket in 22lr, maybe less on deal in a base model. Rock Island and Taurus both have new 38s for ~$200. A Cricket is fine for what it is, but its ultimately a kids learning aid to teach technique, in a kid size package.

(Allegheny County)

You could probably find a single shot shotgun for $100 or less in the classifieds.
    That would give you all sorts of options from birdshot to 00 Buckshot.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Local gun store (Trop in Elizabethtown PA) had 12 gauge "Nomad" shotguns - single shot - for $79 recently - not a great shot gun by any stretch, but better than a .22 (nothing wrong with the Cricket, for what it is...) You would probably be much better off with something more substantial than a .22 - then if you wanted, they make adapters for 12 gauge that fit other rounds.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Montgomery County)

Just to add some advice of my own, if you’re dead set on a .22 I’d suggest at least something with more than one shot. If you missed a snake or coyote and needed a second shot you’d be better off with say a 10 shot magazine. As others have said the Crickett is very small for an adult. I got my 9 year old a Rossi RS22 (I think that’s the model). It’s a 10 shot magazine bolt action that’s big enough for me but small enough for him. It’s also ridiculously accurate with cheap ammo at 25 yards. I paid $150 for it and was surprised how much fun it was to shoot and the group I got. They also make one in .22 WMR if you wanted more power. I guess you could put a sling on it and hang across your back while fishing.

Just to add, I’m not a wild animal behavior expert. I’m thinking there could be situations where well placed shots take out what you’re talking about, piss them off so they attack before you could follow up, or scare them off even if you miss. Just some things to think about.

(Berks County)

It executes all the gators on that tv swamp show. Choot 'em Will, choot 'em!
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Huntingdon County)

If you want something single shot, I'd personally go with something like this.
    https://fedarm.com/product/ss12-12-ga/
    I have a break action 410 similar to this that folds well enough to fit in a backpack.

If your heart is set on a 22 like others have said try and get something with a magazine.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Sava...-Rimfire-Rifle
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You could probably find a single shot shotgun for $100 or less in the classifieds.
    That would give you all sorts of options from birdshot to 00 Buckshot.
    Quote Originally Posted by LMTguy View Post
    If you want something single shot, I'd personally go with something like this.
    https://fedarm.com/product/ss12-12-ga/
    I have a break action 410 similar to this that folds well enough to fit in a backpack.

If your heart is set on a 22 like others have said try and get something with a magazine.
    https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Sava...-Rimfire-Rifle
    Bingo

If you're serious about wanting something for self defense then a break barrel shotgun will serve that roll much better. Way more versatile and effective at sd ranges than a .22. you can carry buck shot or slugs for bigger stuff and bird shot for the smaller.

I have one of these: https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...s_id/415000252

I bought mine locally for $170 out the door. It's light and can fold in half to fit in a case or pack. They make it in 410 or 12 guage also. I like the 20 guage since it's a good balance between effectiveness and recoil.

(Lycoming County)

On a side note. Most of the animals you listed aren't really a problem in my experience. Coyotes, maybe if you have a small dog or something with you, but they tend to avoid people. Bobcats are really skittish. Snakes I usually just walk around. Remember it's illegal to kill most snakes in PA.

Your biggest threats are bears, feral dogs, and the two legged variety. I would want more than a 22 for most of them. If you can swing a budget pistol it would probably serve you better. Easier to carry and doesn't give any false indication you might be "hunting" out of season. That said, on camping trips I will throw the shotgun I listed in my stuff and keep it around camp along with a pistol that I carry on my person. If it's all you really can afford it's an effective choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast