Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Good "first" rifles?

I, myself, am still pretty new to the gun ownership game. I bought my first gun a little over a year ago, when i turned 18. I have been shooting pretty actively, although most of the guns i have used weren't my own. I only have 2 at the moment. I'm looking to expand my collection.

I do have 2 issues at the moment that cause some limitations. The first of which is, I am a broke college kid. I would prefer the guns be $400 or less. The second of which is, I am in the DEP for the Navy as a Nuke. I want to be able to get them before i ship to basic then MOS school, so i know what to do with em while I am still here. My parents will hang on to them for me while I am away.

I have a lot of concerns about the left and their restrictions. For this reason, I've been looking for an AR for 400 or less but that just doesn't seem too possible.

What are your guys' takes?

edit: Should probably mention that the purpose is mostly going to be target shooting and plinking for now. Just some fun guns to shoot. Preferrably not 22lrs. I know they are great for target shooting because of cheap ammo, but i want a kick.
    Last edited by Epii; February 26th, 2020 at 12:00 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Good "first" rifles?

link (out of stock, but they regularly offer this upper at this price)

link

EDIT: Not sure - guys, do you have to be 21 to buy that lower or does that only apply to stripped lowers?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

PSA AR15, like above, or a Norinco SKS with the original 10 round box magazine. Both will give you years of inexpensive service.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

link (out of stock, but they regularly offer this upper at this price)

link

EDIT: Not sure - guys, do you have to be 21 to buy that lower or does that only apply to stripped lowers?
    Should be good, since it's assembled in rifle configuration. I think it would depend on if it was transferred as a "rifle" or "other".

(Bucks County)

Take a short drive up to Tanners Sports Center, they have several entry level AR15's at close to your budget.

(Berks County)

I saw some AR's in that price range at the gun show in Bloomsburg two weeks ago.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lycoming County)

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165450007.html

Essentially the same rifle as the build from PSA, but complete so it avoids the transfer under 18 problem. $450

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/p...6+nato++30%2b1

Del-Ton for 466. Bud's does layaway to help you out as well. There's also S&W's and Rugers on there for a shade over 500.

https://grabagun.com/firearms/rifles...6-pos1848.html
    Basic Anderson for $479. Grabagun does the layaway thing too.

Really the cheapest way to get a decent rifle in your price range is gonna be to buy a lower and upper separate. If you're parents are willing to buy you the lower as a present, it would simplify the under 21 problem for you. Might be a solution.

(Delaware County)

None of those basic ARs have sights, and shooting a rifle without sights is... problematic.

I second the recommendation for a Chicom SKS.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    None of those basic ARs have sights, and shooting a rifle without sights is... problematic.

I second the recommendation for a Chicom SKS.
    Classic has norincos for @ 300, but if you want to modernize it for detachable mags, modern stock, etc you'd have over$400 in it quickly. Price would be a push IMHO, unless you want to keep it stock and just clean it up. I guess it depends on what the op wants.

PSA has the best deals, a set of back up Iron sights can be had between $30 and $50.00 which would still put the OP at or under his prices if he went with the above rifle. The SKS is a good platform, I have been collecting them for over a decade however if I were going to recommend having one rifle for all situations well then it wont be an over priced SKS that like all surplus may require replacing springs and other parts. Stick to what you can easily get and easily upgrade in the future when you save more money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast