Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Good "first" rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Classic has norincos for @ 300, but if you want to modernize it for detachable mags, modern stock, etc you'd have over$400 in it quickly. Price would be a push IMHO, unless you want to keep it stock and just clean it up. I guess it depends on what the op wants.
    Classic has beaters at $300.00 that often have cracked stocks and require internal repairs, ask me how I know this?
    You are correct you would have way more into it if you "modernized" it and then you would find that it sucks hard since it wannest meant to be a modern rifle.

Tapco is also going out of production on mag's and parts for the SKS so whats out there is out there and mag's are drying up. There are other ways to properly convert the rifles to take AR x39 mags that work very well but it's costly and requires fitting and other modification. You could find a SKS D or M that takes AK mags for around $700.00 but they often run like shit as well since they weren't meant to run AK mags.

Almost every Chinese SKS I see for sale on this site including the Bubbas are listed at $400.00 plus.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 26th, 2020 at 10:41 AM.

(Montgomery County)

You need to be 21 for a receiver, even one with a rifle stock. So you'll have to buy a complete rifle. I do think an AR is your best bet for fun, learning marksmanship and gaining familiarity with the US service rifle.

Post a WTB (want to buy) thread in the classifieds. I'm sure someone has an extra basic PSA or M&P sport they'd give up for a good price for a young man looking to practice before shipping off. Also then you save on shipping, tax and transfer cost, since money is tight.

If not, then get an M&P sport off of PSA for $499. But after shipping, tax and transfer you'll be over $550, hence my suggestion for going used.

Who's got a basic AR to sell for $400?

Also if wanting a handgun, your parents can gift you one or you can build a Polymer80 Glock-style pistol. You'd be looking at $500 + any tools needed so doesn't help with your budget, but nowadays the options are there to build one legally yourself being under 21 years old.

Read up on all laws and practice safety first and foremost!

EDIT - also you're so close to Tanner's, you'll be able to find a used AR for $400 there. Call them or stop in a couple times per week and they'll get you something in your budget.
    Last edited by jthrelf; February 26th, 2020 at 10:51 AM.

The last 10 pages or so in this thread should have one if not several very affordable manufacture built AR's listed , if not then subscribe to it and sooner then later something will pop up.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.ph...7821&page=1771
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 26th, 2020 at 11:02 AM.

(Berks County)

I have a friend who built an AR without sights for $340.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Centre County)

As said, the lower that EM has shown is just a lower. It doesn't matter if it is complete with a rifle stock or complete with a pistol tube/brace it is still a lower and will be transferred as a "Other" on the 4473. As such, a person under 21 cannot purchase one or transfer one AT A FFL. However, a person under 21 CAN buy one from a private party just like a rifle, even if it has a pistol tube/brace attached, again because it is a lower receiver until an upper receiver is attached. Then it becomes a pistol or rifle.

My suggestion to the OP: Shop around, check BudsGunShop.com, Grabagun, KYGunCo, CheaperThanDirt, CDNN, MidwayUSA, Palmetto State Armory, Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore, Tombstone Tactical and the other online sellers. Right now the market is somewhat soft so it's a buyers market and many of these places are working to get their inventory down so many have sales going on. But also shop the classifieds here.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

If the young man finds what he is looking for within his budget and it does not have iron sights I am willing to donate a set of knock off magpul pro's that I am not going to use. They are 100% functional just wasn't what I was looking for on the rife I was going to put them on.

All he needs to do is PM me his address after he get's a rifle.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/radical-f...U#.XlaLEo7YrGA

Special Sale: $399.99

They have $8.99 shipping on all long guns and Of course there maybe tax and your FFL transfer fee's.

Last edited by Hodgie; February 26th, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    If the young man finds what he is looking for within his budget and it does not have iron sights I am willing to donate a set of knock off magpul pro's that I am not going to use. They are 100% functional just wasn't what I was looking for on the rife I was going to put them on.

All he needs to do is PM me his address after he get's a rifle.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/radical-f...U#.XlaLEo7YrGA

Special Sale: $399.99

They have $8.99 shipping on all long guns and Of course there maybe tax and your FFL transfer fee's.

Looks pretty solid for the price... 4150 barrel steel, midlength and HPT/MPI bolt.... and though not pictured, it says fully ambi features which is usually worth some $.

And thank you for offering the donation!

(Allegheny County)

I've posted that Radical Firearms carbine from CDNN Sports a few times now in the Deals thread.

RADICAL FIREARMS RF15 5.56 NATO

Action: Semi-Auto, Direct Impingement • Finish: Annodize Black • Barrel: 16" - 1:7" Twist, 5.56 NATO, M4 Feed Ramps • Sights: None - Optics Ready Full Length Top Rail • Magazine(s): One 30-Round Included • Stock: 6 Position Adjustable • Weight: 7 lbs. • Overall Length: 33"-36.25"

Rifle Features:
    16" M4 5.56 Melonite Barrel 4150V Chromoly 1:7" Twist
    1/2x28 Thread Pitch
    Ambidextrous Mag Release and Bolt Catch
    M16 Milspec HPT/MPI Bolt Carrier Group
    Mid-length gas system
    12" Free Float Radical Firearms Billet Round Rail
    Picatinny Top Rail
    Forged Upper Receiver with Forward Assist, Shell Deflector

There's about $110 worth of items (
    bolded) that you don't get with a basic, budget M$ style carbine with plastic hand guards.
    Would anyone scoff at a factory built rifle that was $289? Sure, it's not the greatest brand, but I've seen them in person, and the machining and fit/finish is actually much better than I expected.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Another good deal on a Radical AR. This is a newer model with an upgraded rail. Classic Arms does a garbage job with the description so check out the model number on Radicals site for more information.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/radi...tent=Secondary

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Another good deal on a Radical AR. This is a newer model with an upgraded rail. Classic Arms does a garbage job with the description so check out the model number on Radicals site for more information.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/radi...tent=Secondary
    Yep. The one at CDNN is an older model. (about 4/5 years ago?) The round handguard is solid, but a tad heavy, and larger in diameter than what is on most guns now.
    The handguard on the one at Classic may or may not be lighter, but it is more "modern" with M-Lock slots that allow mounting of accessories that wouldn't be possible on the round handguard.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast