Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default WALTHER P1 QUESTION

I just bought a Walther P1, basically a newer P38 with alloy frame, and have a small problem. When I fire it, the empty casings hit me in the head. Does anyone know of a way to fix this, other than wearing a helmet when I shoot? I am pretty handy and want to do it myself, also pretty cheap and don't want to pay a gunsmith.

(Berks County)

Default Re: WALTHER P1 QUESTION

Ahhh, the bane of the P-38, getting kissed by hot brass.

Mine flings them up but a tad to the right, every once in a while getting one coming my way. How worn is it? Check your extractor/spring and make sure the chamber is clean...other than that I am no Walther smith, maybe someone will chime in wtih an idea or two.

If things are worn or springs are weak, Numrich is about the best place and prices for parts.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...Model=2100zP38
    Last edited by 762xIan; March 8th, 2007 at 06:30 AM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: WALTHER P1 QUESTION

Well, if you want to support PA industries, then rather than Numrich for springs, go to Woolf Springs in Newtown Square. It is where Numrich buy their springs. Dave_n

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: WALTHER P1 QUESTION

Scout, The P-38 was acually designed to be fired by guys in helmets! Like all guns keep em clean and oiled well and it'll work better. The serious answer is that the extractor is on the top of the slide and the ejector is on the lower right side by the top of the mag and will always send brass back in your direction in some capacity. The more powerful the load or more worn the spring usually sends the brass farther to your left. If you are using std ammo it prob means the springs are reasonably tight. Learn to break down the piring pin and ctg indicator inside the slide under the extractor it is often a neglected area on the gun and may be crusty. The firing pin and slide are the main diffs between the p-38 and p-1 If you need further help just contact me and I'll give ya a hand. Dave

(Dauphin County)

Thumbs up Re: WALTHER P1 QUESTION

To whomever gave me the good feedback thank you.(Rather Sissy looking curtsy done jokingly) I'm rather new here and consider that a welcome, although I don't know who wrote it. Maybe someone could help me with that? Anyway Thank you again