Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default i need some information about me buying a new hand gun on Friday ,

hello everyone i am new here , i have a question i will be buying a new handgun from a dealer Friday here in pa , i know there is a 3.00 and 2.00 charge for back ground checks , i wanted to know if i have to register my gun with the state police if i am only using it in my home for self defense ? thank you

(Chester County)

Default Re: i need some information about me buying a new hand gun on Friday ,

PA has no registration. Officially.

(Berks County)

Nope, no registration necessary just take it home and keep it ready.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Once you pass the background check at the dealer and walk out with your new firearm your obligation to the law has been met. Once you get home your obligation to your safety begins so get some basic handling training if you already don't have it.

Have fun and be safe.

(Berks County)

You will complete ATF 4473 and PSP Record of Sale forms. The PSP form is 'not a registration,' but it lists your information and the handgun you're buying. Draw you own conclusion.

(Lehigh County)

You will fill out two forms at the dealer, one is a federal 4473 form and the other is a state police form. That is all you have to do. There is not other requirement on your part to do anything more.

The state police will likely enter their data in a database, which is of very questionable legality, but that is not a problem for you purchasing your gun.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Blair County)

okay thanks to you all .

(Lehigh County)

Exclamation Re: i need some information about me buying a new hand gun on Friday ,

And aren't you suppose to keep any ammunition for said hand gun locked up unless you have a valid carry permit in case you also purchase ammo .

As others have said, once you finish at the ffl you are good to go.

I know you did not ask, but a little extra info/advice. Look into getting a license to carry. Even if you plan on keeping the gun at home it gives you a little more flexibility if you need to take the gun somewhere. For instance, without a license to carry firearm (ltcf) you technically have to take the gun straight home with no stops anywhere from the ffl in. If you take your gun to the range there are conditions that have to be met that you don't have to worry about with a ltcf.

Basically a ltcf makes a gunowners life a bit less complicated.

I know it's not what you asked but something for a new gun owner to consider

Quote Originally Posted by GOYABEAN View Post
    And aren't you suppose to keep any ammunition for said hand gun locked up unless you have a valid carry permit in case you also purchase ammo .
    Not sure what you are saying. Do you mean at home after you buy a gun? If so no.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast