Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non resident LTCF

Does PA still do non resident LTCF? For example, the many people coming from Virginia want to carry at our rally, but we don't recognize their permit. Can they still get non resident LTCFs?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Non resident LTCF

I haven't heard of any changes.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Same, I know it's pretty much "may issue" because the sheriff can decide to issue or not, but someone at arf posted an old article where it stated that PA no longer recognizes non-resident permits effective immediately. I don't believe that to be true. I think it's possible they were confused with where our courts said that PA residents that can't get a PA LTCF for one reason or another, can't go to a reciprocal state and get their non-resident permit and be good to go in PA.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Same, I know it's pretty much "may issue" because the sheriff can decide to issue or not, but someone at arf posted an old article where it stated that PA no longer recognizes non-resident permits effective immediately. I don't believe that to be true. I think it's possible they were confused with where our courts said that PA residents that can't get a PA LTCF for one reason or another, can't go to a reciprocal state and get their non-resident permit and be good to go in PA.
    That’s exactly right: residents can not carry in the commonwealth on a non-resident from another state. It’s a non-person person kinda thing!

I would remind VA residents they can open carry at our rally without a permit, but they need to follow PA / FOPA transport laws when traveling.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    That’s exactly right: residents can not carry in the commonwealth on a non-resident from another state. It’s a non-person person kinda thing!

I would remind VA residents they can open carry at our rally without a permit, but they need to follow PA / FOPA transport laws when traveling.

What about with the SOE?

(Berks County)

Now here's the part that confuses me...W/O a LTCF we are restricted as to where we can transport our firearms to, like a range or a gunsmith. Doesn't that preclude transporting it to a rally?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Franklin County)

Same, I know it's pretty much "may issue" because the sheriff can decide to issue or not,
    I think you know this, but from a black letter law position, the sheriff CANNOT "decide" not to issue. ALL LTCFs are "shall issue" per statutory wording, regardless of where the applicant resides.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

What about with the SOE?
    Good point, but we haven’t heard of a single SOE gun related debacle, plus the governors staff said the SOE didn’t affect gun laws (sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Now here's the part that confuses me...W/O a LTCF we are restricted as to where we can transport our firearms to, like a range or a gunsmith. Doesn't that preclude transporting it to a rally?
    It would, but PA 6106 explicitly allows transport of firearms with a license from any other state:

. [/A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).

Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided: (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109. (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Franklin County)

Good point, but we haven’t heard of a single SOE gun related debacle
    There's a pretty big difference between "it's legal" and "you'll probably get away with it" when being wrong on the second count can lead to a lifetime prohibition.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I think you know this, but from a black letter law position, the sheriff CANNOT "decide" not to issue. ALL LTCFs are "shall issue" per statutory wording, regardless of where the applicant resides.
    This. Most people from out of stand find it easier to find a sheriff who will follow the law, then sue.

I wonder if VA was one of the states the AG illegally dropped recognition for?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast