Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Non resident LTCF

PA still issues to non-residents. Many sheriffs refuse to issue to, or accept applications from, non-residents - a violation of the UFA.

The following counties are known to be non-resident friendly: Erie, Crawford, Mercer, Venango, Jefferson, McKean, Centre, Lackawanna, and Berks. There are others, but I'm not sure which ones they are.

PA's AG dropped VA when VA's laws changed to honor all licenses. Our AG did the same thing to Maine when Maine went Constitutional Carry.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I think you know this, but from a black letter law position, the sheriff CANNOT "decide" not to issue. ALL LTCFs are "shall issue" per statutory wording, regardless of where the applicant resides.
    Thirded. The sheriffs are behaving in an unlawful manner and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    This. Most people from out of stand find it easier to find a sheriff who will follow the law, than sue.
    Correct.

I threatened to sue, and fully intended on following through with that threat. Two weeks later, the sheriff called me to tell me to come on down and he would accept my application this time.

As I said, they are behaving unlawfully, and they know it. But they won't change their behaviors until forced. I suspect there will be no change until they start doing this to residents, since residents do not have the option to run to a different county. It's only a matter of time - the same failed logic applies to residents.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    That’s exactly right: residents can not carry in the commonwealth on a non-resident from another state. It’s a non-person person kinda thing!

I would remind VA residents they can open carry at our rally without a permit, but they need to follow PA / FOPA transport laws when traveling.
    Are you sure that is correct? If a resident without an LTCF can't transport a firearm to open carry how can a non-resident do the same thing legally? Transport laws only cover traveling through the state, not stopping to open carry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Are you sure that is correct? If a resident without an LTCF can't transport a firearm to open carry how can a non-resident do the same thing legally? Transport laws only cover traveling through the state, not stopping to open carry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    It's under 6106 in title 18:
    (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
    If you're a non resident you can transport on your license, but it doesn't cover concealed carry.

This was the law where the court ruled a PA resident isn't "Any Person" so that's why you can't carry on a non resident permit if you are a resident in the state.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12