Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default BA Hanson or Faxon Pencil?

I'm looking at replacing the barrel on my AR with a lighter profile and can't decide between Faxon's pencil barrel or the Ballistic Advantage Hanson. I found the Faxon match grade barrel on aim surlus with a pinned gas block for $233 and right to bear has the BA with a pinned block for $159. Faxon's appeal is that it definitely is lighter but only by a couple ounces. My current M4 profile BA barrel weighed 28 ounces when I put it on; the Faxon supposedly weighs 19 and the Hanson weighs 22.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: BA Hanson or Faxon Pencil?

I have that Faxon barrel and love to carry it and it shoots as good as any nice barrel should but it will get hot quick and POI will change.

I recently went to Kansas on a coyote hunt and the day before we left I was sighting in my AR with the pencil barrel and got it warm and goofed up my hunt by changing my scope.

Lucky for you InRange TV recently did all the testing for you already. They along with Brownells are releasing their own line of rifles which will include one of these barrels. I personally have a Faxon Machine Gunners profile barrel and it's ridiculously accurate and they are an amazing outfit to deal with if you ever have a question or an issue.

In this first R&D update of the WWSD2020 project, we revisit barrel selection and test new offerings from Ballistic Advantage as well as Faxon in an attempt to validate our conclusions about pencil barrels and modern heat stress relieving as well as choose the official barrel for WWSD2020.

Due to an audio issue we had to re-test and re-film the 30 round dump and subsequent lack of group shift, but the edit in the official video accidentally included the first group fired which didn't match up with the final result.

(Allegheny County)

I was debating the same thing for a future lightweight.

I'll be using a Faxon pencil barrel the same as I used on my wife's lightweight - except I want the 14.5 with pinned slim brake.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Check ar15discounts.com too (I didn't do price comparisons)
    https://ar15discounts.com/search-res...cil&page_num=2
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Lucky for you InRange TV recently did all the testing for you already. They along with Brownells are releasing their own line of rifles which will include one of these barrels. I personally have a Faxon Machine Gunners profile barrel and it's ridiculously accurate and they are an amazing outfit to deal with if you ever have a question or an issue.
    I watched the WWSD series and between that and tax refund, that's why I'm interested in rebuilding my upper. I don't generally do a lot of rapid fire with my rifle so I'm not concerned about a minor shift in POI.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I was debating the same thing for a future lightweight. I'll be using a Faxon pencil barrel the same as I used on my wife's lightweight - except I want the 14.5 with pinned slim brake.
    If I could find a Faxon pencil barrel with an integral linear compensator and pinned gas block, I'd be pretty happy. Unfortunately, I don't think such a thing exists. If I got the integral muzzle brake, I'd want a shorter handguard. My STNGR rail would come really close to the ports on that brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I watched the WWSD series and between that and tax refund, that's why I'm interested in rebuilding my upper. I don't generally do a lot of rapid fire with my rifle so I'm not concerned about a minor shift in POI.

If I could find a Faxon pencil barrel with an integral linear compensator and pinned gas block, I'd be pretty happy. Unfortunately, I don't think such a thing exists. If I got the integral muzzle brake, I'd want a shorter handguard. My STNGR rail would come really close to the ports on that brake.
    Just in case you don’t know this is a new series they just stared. This video was posted a few weeks ago. The new faxon barrel will have the flash hider/comp machined into the barrel, the gas block slides right over.

(Lackawanna County)

I have a faxon pencil barrel build and if you’re after cutting weight then that’s the way to go. I don’t feel it recoils any harder than any of my other rigs

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Just in case you don’t know this is a new series they just stared. This video was posted a few weeks ago. The new faxon barrel will have the flash hider/comp machined into the barrel, the gas block slides right over.
    I have issues with the blast from brakes and prefer to have a linear comp to direct some of that forward. I thought about getting a 14.5" and having my KVP compensator pinned but I generally avoid most tasks that I can't do myself. I don't think red loctite would be adequate haha.

(Bucks County)

I have a BA Hanson 8.3" in .300 BO on my Form 1 SBR... more accurate than I am!
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast