Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Just bought my first AR15.... clueless on optics

Any reason to go either 30mm or 20mm (microdot)? I’m looking at various red dots and cannot decide on a microdot or 30mm tube. I’d be shooting 100 yards and under.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Somerset County)

If your budget is $500-1k you have some very good options.

A red Dot is definitely an option for the ranges you said would be shooting. Trijicon mro and Aimpoint pro are good options. You would have enough to throw a magnifier on there too for longer shots

The gun you bought it's more of a recce style though and would be well suited with a lpvo. I will list some good options below

Burris RT6- if you want to save a couple bucks you can grab these for $350 or less. Add an American defense, larue lt204, or Midwest mount and you are around $500 all in

Burris XTR2- Natchez had good deals on these. The 1-5 would be a good option and a stop above the rt6 glass and durability wise

Steiner P4Xi- this is a 1-4 you can find for $500-600. German Schot glass and an Aimpoint bright reticle. One of the best lpvo values out there

Vortex PST2 1-6. The strike eagles have their place but this is a much better option and in your budget. Much better glass and durability than the SE and they can be found right around $600

Lots of good options, these are just a few of the better in your price range imo

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    Any reason to go either 30mm or 20mm (microdot)? I’m looking at various red dots and cannot decide on a microdot or 30mm tube. I’d be shooting 100 yards and under.
    Your decision is gonna be, in part, related to the health of your eyes: a green dot is good for both young and old eyes. For the most part, a red dot is not good for old eyes.

There's also the "aim small, miss small" school of thought: the bigger the 'dot' the easier it may be to pick up your target at closer ranges. The smaller the 'dot', the more accurate you can be out to distance. For some folks I know, 100 yards is not distance.

But whatever you think may increase your fun quotient at the range, GO FOR IT!
    - bamboomaster

Haven't tried them all , and I doubt I'll be going on any covert tactical missions deep behind enemy lines , but the Burris AR-332 has done what I need for fun at the range. Goes green or red with the turn of a knob.

20120704_01.JPG
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

Yeah, but you definitely have a street sweeper to get the leaves off your driveway...
    - bamboomaster

(Allegheny County)

I don't notice any difference.
    They both have clunky bodies that are visually distracting, but since you aren't looking "through" them like a scope, the size difference isn't even a factor.
    Both eyes open you just see a dot. Your other eye makes up for what the optics body blocks in the other eye.

Cool that you can even leave a solid black cap closed on the front and still use the dot the same way.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

You spent the money on an lwrc. Now match it with something equal for an optic. I’m a fan of a low power variable optic or acogs

(Allegheny County)

And here's a pic showing each type. (both are Primary Arms - the 20 mm is a gen 1 PA micro red dot)

I may take that 30mm off that pistol and put it on a carbine and get a Romeo 5 or similar 20mm red dot for the pistol.
    I put it on just to see if it would be too big overall for the pistol, but it's fine. If my carbine dot hadn't failed, I'd probably leave it on, but given the need to buy another optic now, I'll just get a micro red dot for the pistol as I had initially intended.
    Not that any of that has any bearing on your question. LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

How about a nice Leupold 1.25-4X20 VX R Patrol Special Purpose? Ranging features, 10 MIL circle and Fire Dot so you can pretend to be tactical, but still a scope handy for punching paper, which is what you’ll really do.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Everready73 View Post
    Steiner P4Xi- this is a 1-4 you can find for $500-600. German Schot glass and an Aimpoint bright reticle. One of the best lpvo values out there
    This is what I'm currently lusting after for a rifle I've let sit idle for too long with no sighting system. Bright dot, simple reticle, clear glass. Yep.

Last edited by marinville; February 24th, 2020 at 11:37 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast