Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Swiss K31 - Interesting rear sight

So my Swiss rifle family grew by two yesterday. 1911 long rifle to compliment my K1911 and a K31 that’s probably nicer than the one I already had. Both rifles are really nice, beautiful in my opinion for Swiss rifles. The K31 has most of the finish on the metal and the wood is not overly abused.

Anyway, as I was inspecting for marks, imperfections, etc. I noticed (this was mail order) the rear sight was unlike anything I’ve seen on my other Swiss rifles, any others I’ve seen, and really any other old surplus rifles. The first thing I noticed was the elevation setting wouldn’t slide when I squeezed the side button and tried to move it. But then I realized a two step knob on the bolt handle side of the sight. A larger ring and a smaller ring with what looked like windage and elevation settings. A quick google search tells me this is a Fürter rear sight corrector and while it was easy to find out what it was there doesn’t seem to be too much mention of them out there. It’s basically a fine adjustment rear sight. The rifle serial number puts it at 1940 but it sounds like these sights didn’t come out until 1965. So does anyone know anymore about these? Rare? Cool? Adds value? Decreases value? Lucky score?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Swiss K31 - Interesting rear sight

Very interesting. I would think it would add value, as it is an upgrade over the standard sight. Shooting competitions are popular in Switzerland, and apparently this rifle was upgraded for that purpose.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Tioga County)

Plenty of these rifles get modified for competitions in Switzerland.

(Montgomery County)

With adjustable open sights I’m thinking this could very quickly become my favorite milsurp. Too bad GP11 is not plentiful like it used to be. I’ve got an unopened case and a couple of the paper packs from inside another case, at least one of which is opened. I happened to be on gunbroker last week and not only is it scarce but what I did see was $1 or more per round. Makes me not want to shoot what I have. Should have bought more when I could have but isn’t that always the case? I have an unopened wooden crate of 7.62x54r as well that I don’t want to open either because I paid less than the current price of one spam can for it a few years ago. I find myself in a situation where’d I’d almost rather by PPU (or Wolf for the combloc stuff) than use surplus on hand or buy more of it. I may go that route because then at least I could reload the PPU.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    With adjustable open sights I’m thinking this could very quickly become my favorite milsurp. Too bad GP11 is not plentiful like it used to be. I’ve got an unopened case and a couple of the paper packs from inside another case, at least one of which is opened. I happened to be on gunbroker last week and not only is it scarce but what I did see was $1 or more per round. Makes me not want to shoot what I have. Should have bought more when I could have but isn’t that always the case? I have an unopened wooden crate of 7.62x54r as well that I don’t want to open either because I paid less than the current price of one spam can for it a few years ago. I find myself in a situation where’d I’d almost rather by PPU (or Wolf for the combloc stuff) than use surplus on hand or buy more of it. I may go that route because then at least I could reload the PPU.
    RUAG in Switzerland put GP11 back in production a few years ago so I suspect most stocks are now depleted in Switzerland. Last batch that was imported was 1983/1984 production. GP11 went out of production in 1994 and shooters in Switzerland say it's drying up.

I'm in the middle of reloading GP11 berdan primed brass. I had a few things to work out but I'm getting there.

But , but , , it's a weapon of WAR!!!!!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    But , but , , it's a weapon of WAR!!!!!
    I like to think of it more as a weapon of neutrality.