Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Alarm permits or applications in PA?

I am going to install a security system soon and a friend of mine who does this professionally in another state said I need to find out from my township or county on the requirement or permitting before I activate the system. I searched on my township site as well as Monroe County and I cannot find anything under any documents or permitting regarding alarm or security systems.

Is this something we have to do here in Monroe/Polk or even in PA. I spoke to my brother earlier who has recently put in a similar security system in his home in Maryland and he did have to do this in his township it was free and consists of address, and contact information, there was no fee for him. Just printed it, filled it out and sent it in.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Alarm permits or applications in PA?

Check with your local police. They’re the ones who have to answer a call from the alarm monitoring company. Here in Bucks it’s on my township website.

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Check with your local police. They’re the ones who have to answer a call from the alarm monitoring company. Here in Bucks it’s on my township website.
    State police up here, I guess I can call the barracks tomorrow.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I am going to install a security system soon and a friend of mine who does this professionally in another state said I need to find out from my township or county on the requirement or permitting before I activate the system. I searched on my township site as well as Monroe County and I cannot find anything under any documents or permitting regarding alarm or security systems.

Is this something we have to do here in Monroe/Polk or even in PA. I spoke to my brother earlier who has recently put in a similar security system in his home in Maryland and he did have to do this in his township it was free and consists of address, and contact information, there was no fee for him. Just printed it, filled it out and sent it in.
    Depends on where you live. If you have volunteer fire dept. and State Police, with no local police, like Harborcreek, PA., no permit is usually required. But...there is a charge for more than 3 false alarms in one year. Check with township, or town, you live in.

(Bucks County)

Keep your motion detectors clear of stink bugs in the fall. Ask me how I know.

(Montgomery County)

When we did ours we had to file paperwork with the township police and we had to pay a township fee since the alarm monitor connects to emergency services.
    There is also something on there about fines for too many false alarms, and some other details I can't remember.
    Your regulations or lack there of will be location specific.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

My wife has a friend that works in the main office for the township, she just confirmed that there are no alarm permits here.

I may call the local state police barracks tomorrow to verify with them if I have to do anything.