Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C&R license

(Delaware County)

Default C&R license

I've been toying with the idea of possibly getting a c&r license and I'm confused. I see all firearms over 50 years old are eligible, yet the c&r list says c&r subject to gca of 1968 and the list seems small. I guess my questions are, if I find a handgun or rifle made in 1969 is that eligible? How do you keep the c&r stuff from your "normal" stuff or does it not matter? Can you sell c&r rifles face to face and or have handguns transferred?
    Im hoping to hear from some c&r holders.
    Thanks, bjmac

Default Re: C&R license

You are subject to keeping a bound book of the firearms you purchase under your license both pistol and long arms for as long as you choose to retain your license.

You can legally purchase hand guns that are C&R eligible and have them shipped right to you once you have been approved for your 03 FFL. This includes buying from local dealers if they choose to honor your 03FFL many will not, or in private face to face purchases.

Like any other FFL you are subject to ATF inspection if they feel so inclined. They can only inspect the transactions you made under your license and not anything that would be outside of that. They will call and make an appointment with you which can take place in your home or at their local office.

While you can buy and sell with the Intent to better your collection the 03 FFL is not a retail license and does not let you run a business under it like an 01 and if caught doing so can be subject to prosecution. Again you have to log all qualifying purchases as they come in and go out of your personal inventory.
    Last edited by Hodgie; February 15th, 2020 at 04:32 PM.

(Delaware County)

Im assuming you have one. Do you find it worth it or is paying the transfer fee the better option for someone who will only do a few a year.

For me it’s always been worth it. For the $30.00 it code every three years. The days of extremely cheap surplus are over so are most bulk and by the crate offerings which is where it saved hundreds.

If you find yourself on the road a lot stoping in shops and pawn shops especially out of state it definitely pays off.

Cash and carry.

I maintain mine these days to qualify for FFL pricing on Brownell's. I save WAAAAAAAY more than thirty dollars every three years.

(Montgomery County)

There aren’t many FFLs that will charge less than $30 for an internet transfer. The guy I used most recently charges $25. The C&R costs $30 for 3 years so even if you only buy one or two in that time it’s worth it financially. It’s not that much of a hassle to apply for it and send in the application. As a modest collector it has paid for itself many times over for me. Your bound book will record acquisitions and dispositions. The pages may be listed here somewhere or online, possibly on the ATF website. I can’t remember for sure. I printed out a bunch a long time ago and am still using those. I put them in a 3 ring binder.

In general most firearms older than 50 years old are C&R eligible. Exceptions would include NFA items. There may be others and I’m sure there are people more knowledgeable here than I am. The list the ATF publishes includes things that may be older than 50 years or may be less than 50 years old (ex: CZ82) but were specifically determined to have some historical or collectible significance (can’t remember the exact wording). They don’t update the list often and I haven’t even looked at it in a few years. It was already a few years old at that time. I’m not sure what you’re idea of small is but I thought it was a decently long list the last time I checked. Note that there may be a case where a particular gun is not specifically C&R but it’s production range spans older than 50 and newer than 50. Only older than 50 examples would be eligible and in cases where specific year cannot be determined then none may be C&R until the last of them turn 50. I believe Norinco SKS’ are a case where some are over 50 and some aren’t and it is not listed as C&R while SKS’ from other countries are listed (like Russian or Yugo). Most people think of C&R as old military surplus (myself included) but if you find an old whatever action deer rifle and it can be dated older than 50 then it should be eligible. I have seen some dealers list them as such. C&R and non-C&R can be physically stored together but just make sure the C&R stuff is in the bound book. I keep two sets of documentation. One for everything including C&R and one for just C&R.

Disposition (selling) depends a little on who you’re selling too. If you are selling to another C&R holder you can do rifles or pistols face to face. You get a copy of their license and they get a copy of yours. If you sell a long gun to a non-C&R holder I believe you are supposed to record their driver license number in the bound book. If you sell a handgun to a non-C&R holder that gets done at a dealer like any other. Just be sure you’re always recording the dispositions. I think that about covers your questions. Let us know if you have more.

FYI NFA items can be C&R eligible as well you still have to apply and wait for a tax stamp but once it's complete it goes right to your door.

(Delaware County)

Thank you all for the information.

(Mercer County)

It is worth it. Just follow the rules. I have a nice collection going and all shipped to my door.

(Montgomery County)

Anyone ever have issue with stuff being shipped to your house, specifically when you’re not home? I understand the adult signature requirement but I’ve had mixed experiences with being able to pick it up from FedEx/UPS later that night after they leave a door tag.

I believe in the past I’ve been able to just take the door tag to the depot later that night and pick it up. I know for a fact I’ve done this with UPS and I think I’ve done it with FedEx. One time it was held at a UPS hold location (in a Walgreens). I’ve tried contacting the carrier to see if they could hold it rather than have the driver make a wasted trip and the item be jostled around more than necessary. It’s always the same (except for the Walgreens time), per the shipper we need to attempt delivery at the delivery address before we hold it for you to pick up.

My most recent experience was interesting. Scheduled delivery was Sunday via FedEx. Didn’t realize they delivered on Sunday. I wasn’t home and knew I wouldn’t be but I didn’t even bother trying to let them know once the online delivery manager told me I couldn’t make changes. Next scheduled delivery was supposed to be tomorrow since today was a holiday. I called FedEx and she said they couldn’t hold it at all without hearing from the shipper and would continue to attempt delivery even though I was telling them I wouldn’t be home Tuesday or Wednesday. So then I asked if they would send it back after 3 failed attempts and she says, no, they would hold it for me to come pickup and if I didn’t then they’d ship it back.

Sooo, you can’t hold it for me when I tell you I won’t be home but you’ll drive it to my house three times even though you know I won’t be there... And then you’ll hold it for me. Cool.

Got to work this morning and got an email that it was rescheduled for today and was already out for delivery. This was before I could even call the shipper to request they tell FedEx to hold it for me. Just to try to be done with all the BS I came home for lunch and just worked from home the afternoon and now I have my items. Whatever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast