Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: What ARs do I need?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    They really are like shoes, or coats - there are some that do OK at several roles, but it's better to have one that's the best for each intended purpose.
    Yep, like any tool. But it’s also nice to have some that “call” you to take them out because they’re a little different and fun to shoot. I just bought a cheap 9mm carbine just for this purpose. It will live in its base form just to keep it simple.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    Horsepower at longer ranges and most importantly, cool factor. :-)
    My friend is wondering what's a good meat gathering round out of a standard lower (e.g. .450 Bushy, .458 Socom, etc.) as he may be in possession of a number of lowers waiting to be built out. AR-10 is a whole new chassis...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    My friend is wondering what's a good meat gathering round out of a standard lower (e.g. .450 Bushy, .458 Socom, etc.) as he may be in possession of a number of lowers waiting to be built out. AR-10 is a whole new chassis...
    Ah, gotcha, I do not have experience with any caliber other than 5.56 in a standard lower and the barrel length recommendations are covered.

(Lackawanna County)

6.5 grendel

(Wyoming County)

I just built a 458 socom.

From what I've read .450 BM beats 458 on paper.

450BM has been approved by saami and is pretty easy to find at my LGS & Cabelas neither of which had 458 socom.

450BM is a straight walled cartridge and has the advantage of being allowed in States that only allow straight walled cartridge for hunting i.e. Ohio

You almost have to be a reloader to choose 458

All that said - I can't see any reason why .300blk or the 6.5 flavors wouldn't serve as a much better whitetail cartridge than the .4xx rounds
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

300 AAC is a capable deer/midsize game round, as is 6.5 Grendel.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Lancaster County)

Currently serving the purposes I consider essential:

1. 16" 5.56 Recce setup for 3 gun, range fun, SHTF, varminting, etc. -- 1-4x scope
    2. 18" 5.56 DMR setup for DMR competition, range fun, SHTF, and varminting w/ 3-15x scope
    3. 16" 5.56 pencil barrel w/ irons for my son when he's old enough to learn to shoot w/ a centerfire
    4. 16" .22LR w/ 1-4x scope for my son and/or myself and/or wife for practice and small game
    5. 18" .308 AR10 w/ 3-15x scope for hunting (out of state, I don't bother with here), precision matches, range fun, SHTF
    6. 10.5" .300BLK w/ red dot for HD, pest control and hogs, range fun
    7. 16" 6.8 SPC for my son and/or wife for hunting (lighter weight than AR10)
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Drop the "s" in "ARs". You need 1. Get 1 AR, be it a 16", 14.5" pin & weld, or 11.5" AR "pistol/SBR". Take whatever money you would be wasting on building other ARs & invest it in decent kit, glass, armor, NOD, & most importantly TRAINING. Having multiple ARs is worthless if you cant employ them better than the guy(s) shooting at you.

(Allegheny County)

You can't do a New York reload with only one rifle.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCARshooter View Post
    Drop the "s" in "ARs". You need 1. Get 1 AR, be it a 16", 14.5" pin & weld, or 11.5" AR "pistol/SBR". Take whatever money you would be wasting on building other ARs & invest it in decent kit, glass, armor, NOD, & most importantly TRAINING. Having multiple ARs is worthless if you cant employ them better than the guy(s) shooting at you.
    Backups for parts or to pass off aren't a bad idea though.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast