Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Taurus Service!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Now, Taurus. I had a PT 24/7 OSS-DS in .45. It started light-striking. Sent it in for repair, it came back, worked for a bit, then started light-striking again. I put it in the safe and forgot about it. Couple years later, I got around to sending it back in. They told me it was subject to a class action lawsuit and that they could not repair it until that lawsuit was resolved. Okay, then, send it back to me, please. Nope. They held onto that gun for over two years. About eight months after the lawsuit was resolved, they called me and offered a choice of a replacement (brand new) gun or $200
    That sucks.
    No happiness in that.

Did You ever get that crap from folks wanting to bet you that you couldn't hit them at 100yds with that HP22.
    I used to ask them , why'd I'd risk going to jail....."because I shot them"...…. to prove a point.
    Now if the bet is to hit a human silhouette target with it ….. well lay your money on the table and I'll quit my day job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Interesting. A lawsuit freezes repairs. No doubt repair of what the suit is about would help prove the plaintiff's assertion. I can see them not being able to send out a gun that is defective. That would be very negligent. Sorry you got trapped in such a catch-22. Thank Dem Dingell for the lack of publicity.

The simple answer is that no government entity has the power to police defective firearms or ammunition in America—or even force gunmakers to warn consumers. The Consumer Product Safety Commission can order the recall and repair of thousands of things, from toasters to teddy bears. If a defective car needs fixing, the U.S. Department of Transportation can make it happen. The Food and Drug Administration deals with food, drugs, and cosmetics. Only one product is beyond the government’s reach when it comes to defects and safety: firearms. Not even the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can get defective guns off the market. If a gunmaker chooses to ignore a safety concern, there’s no one to stop it.

To understand how firearms makers escaped government oversight of the safety of their pistols, revolvers, and rifles, you need to go back to 1972, when Congress created the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Four years earlier, President Lyndon B. Johnson had signed the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act, which regulated several aspects of firearm sales, and advocates of gun control hoped to give this new agency oversight of defective weapons. Representative John Dingell, a Democrat from Michigan and a hunter with an A-plus rating from the ascendant NRA, blocked them. In 1975 he did it again, when a colleague introduced a bill making a second run at giving the CPSC firearms authority. “We put in there an express prohibition against them getting their nose into the business of regulating firearms and ammunition,” Dingell said in debate in Congress. That second bill was crushed, 339-80, and the issue has never been seriously considered again.

This image can only be used with the attached article for period of 90 days from publication.
    Sonie Brown and her husband, Bud Brown, with a picture of Jarred. On the morning of New Year’s Eve 2016, Jarred picked up his father’s Taurus handgun to shoot target practice behind their house when the gun went off while holstered.PHOTOGRAPHER: BRYAN THOMAS FOR BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK
    For Brown, none of that explains why he hadn’t heard that Taurus had sold bad guns. It’s one thing if the government didn’t do anything, but he reads every issue of American Rifleman, the NRA’s official magazine, and he never saw a warning about Taurus guns. “Why didn’t the NRA warn us? I guess there’s too much money and politics going into the NRA, so they had reason not to tell us,” he says.

The NRA lists gun safety as among its concerns, and in recent years, American Rifleman has covered voluntary safety recalls from Colt’s Manufacturing, FN America, and SIG Sauer. But articles on Taurus’s class-action settlement or any of the lawsuits could not be found by search on the magazine’s website. Shooting Illustrated, another NRA publication, ran a three-paragraph story on the class-action settlement.

Taurus and the NRA have had a mutually beneficial relationship for years. A lot of that was the work of Robert Morrison, president of Miami Lakes-based Taurus International Manufacturing Inc., until 2011. Morrison is a close friend of Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s executive vice president. Taurus has received at least eight NRA awards and has been mentioned in dozens of articles in American Rifleman.

Morrison started as an independent Taurus salesman in 1994 before moving up through the ranks to run U.S. operations in 2004. He aggressively used the NRA to sell guns, introducing a program, still in effect, whereby anyone who buys a Taurus weapon is given a free one-year membership in the NRA. The strategy appears to have worked: In 2016, American Rifleman profiled an Alabama pawnshop that sold 1,000 Taurus firearms in a month with the promotion.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-t-be-recalled
    Be careful what you wish for. A previous generation of gun control activists had their sights on using the Consumer Product Safety Commission to severely regulate or even ban firearms and (lead) ammunition. Are pistols without a mechanical safety, or magazine disconnect ‘safe’? Is lead ammunition ‘safe’ to shoot? Is high performance hollow point ammunition marketed for personal protection ‘safe’ to use on the guy attacking you?

By their nature, firearms and ammunition are not ‘safe’ to point or shoot at anything on the other end of them. State law already provides remedies against defective or unsafe products, including firearms. Why does the Federal government need to be involved too?

Especially with this current anti-gun ownership frenzy, I would not advise advocating the Consumer Product Safety Commission have anything to do with firearms or ammo.
    Last edited by Mosinshooter762; February 15th, 2020 at 11:02 AM.

(Wayne County)

How very timely, this post is. I was going to start the same thread. Mine isn't with repairs, however.

I simply ordered (online even) a pair of plain, wooden grips for my Model 65 back in the middle of January. The pistol is great. I'd just like wood grips on it. After not hearing anything for two weeks, I checked the order status on their website. "Pending". No estimated shipping date. Nothing. Just "pending".

So, I called Customer service and hung up after 45 minutes of Spanish classical guitar music. No "yojr estimated wait time is.....minutes" . No "you are the 13th caller in queue". Nothing. More classical.guitar the following week while on hold. So, I sent a message to Customer Service chat line asking for a.status update. No response. Truly piss poor customer service.

All.I'm trying to do is to GIVE them my money. They just don't seem to want it very badly.

Taurus customer service eats donkey goobers!
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Monroe County)

Had some Taurus revolvers that worked flawless. Had an original Millennium PT 111 9mm that blew apart. They replaced it quickly no questions asked with an upgraded model.. (Had the dealer send it back for me.) Had 2 45's one was a Millennium PT145 worked flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    That’s a Bloomberg propaganda piece that wants to change the law so gun manufacturers will get sued out of business. Backdoor guncontrol.
    Spot on.

Step 1: allow CPSC to regulate/manage defective firearms
    Step 2: slowly open the definition of "defective firearm" until none are left

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    That sucks.
    No happiness in that.
    Eh, new gun that I like more than the used gun I bought ain't so bad. But I would definitely not call that incident a positive experience.

Did You ever get that crap from folks wanting to bet you that you couldn't hit them at 100yds with that HP22.
    I used to ask them , why'd I'd risk going to jail....."because I shot them"...…. to prove a point.
    Now if the bet is to hit a human silhouette target with it ….. well lay your money on the table and I'll quit my day job.
    Well, I don't think I'd be shooting with anyone who wanted to try that. But, yeah... I use the short barrel and shoot balloons moving in the wind at 50+ yards with that thing all day long. I put a metal spinner out at 30 and never let it swing back past the vertical line (til the mag is empty, that is). Nice shooting gun with such a low recoil profile that staying on target is just a non-issue. And I've put way more rounds through that thing than my $100 should have paid for, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    Eh, new gun that I like more than the used gun I bought ain't so bad. But I would definitely not call that incident a positive experience.

Well, I don't think I'd be shooting with anyone who wanted to try that. But, yeah... I use the short barrel and shoot balloons moving in the wind at 50+ yards with that thing all day long. I put a metal spinner out at 30 and never let it swing back past the vertical line (til the mag is empty, that is). Nice shooting gun with such a low recoil profile that staying on target is just a non-issue. And I've put way more rounds through that thing than my $100 should have paid for, heh.
    I had both a blue and stainless version …..and the 5 inch barrel kit …. but didn't like that , as it didn't do anything for the gun and made it no longer fit in my back pocket.
    The ammo for these used to be carried in a small peanut butter jar that would hold 450rds.
    Theres no doubt more rounds went threw those pistols than HP ever imagined would.

But...
    No one has ever said that to you about the HP or another small pistol you had?
    It must be my face or something.....
    I've had tons of folks over the years say this to me about the HP or one of my snub guns...like it proves a point or something??
    I always found that to be a stupid thing to say …
    as if I would risk legal trouble just to prove a point to some yum yum.
    Now , when you change the bet to hitting a human size target or even trace their outline on paper and hit it at 100...….
    I mean it nots even hard ….. it's far from some amazing feat and anyone could do it.
    BUT ….. I have spent a lot of my time shutting folks up for free.
    One day I figured it was going to start costing them.
    And loud mouths are very slow when it comes to pulling the wallet out.
    I try and be a nice guy , I think I'm a nice guy and I used to hate taking others money ….. for whatever reason ... esp on a sucker bets.
    But as I age , I'll take a chumps money without blinking or so much as a Thank You.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolFan View Post
    When I hear someone say or I read "they have great customer service" it gets me thinking that maybe I should stay away from a company like that because I prefer not to use their customer service. Some years ago I purchased a Rossi revolver - it seemed like a nice revolver. I voluntarily sent it back to Rossi (which is affiliated somehow with Taurus) for a recall issue - that was back in September 2019. After 3 months I was told by Rossi\Taurus (same CS people) that it would be replaced. Here I am now February 2020 still waiting for the replacement. Five months and counting is not great customer service. Taurus service just plan SUCKS!
    I sent my Rossi in to them and forgot about it. About 4 months later I called and asked what the status is. They told me it was un repairable and to pick a new revolver out. (They gave me two or three options) Had the new gun the next week. Whole process too about 5 months. I'm sure if I hadn't forgotten about it I would be here saying the same stuff. But I really have no issue with their CS. Still haven't shot it
    Last edited by AirportFF; February 18th, 2020 at 09:13 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by AirportFF View Post
    I sent my Rossi in to them and forgot about it. About 4 months later I called and asked what the status is. They told me it was un repairable and to pick a new revolver out. (They gave me two or three options) Had the new gun the next week. Whole process too about 5 months. I'm sure if I hadn't forgotten about it I would be here saying the same stuff. But I really have no issue with their CS. Still haven't shot it
    What really boggles my mind is the gun they are replacing my Rossi with is a model 605 which was introduced in 1995. 25 years producing this gun and they are back ordered - for at least 2 months that I know of... really!? That makes no sense - it must be popular if its been in their catalog for that long. The only other revolver that may be longer is the model 85. Personally I wish Taurus would just write me a check instead and be done with it - but they refused.

No one has ever said that to you about the HP or another small pistol you had?
    It must be my face or something.....
    Nope, not that I can recall. That said, I don't often shoot around other people (blessed with my own private range), so maybe I just haven't had the chance to be exposed to such idiots.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast