Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Army Assault Weapon System Offers 'Guaranteed Hit'

The SMASH system utilizes advanced optics and computerized feedback to ensure accuracy.

https://www.ien.com/advanced-manufac...ssault-weapons

Bill

Army Assault Weapon System Offers 'Guaranteed Hit'
    The SMASH system utilizes advanced optics and computerized feedback to ensure accuracy.

AUTHORS Jeff Reinke, Alex Shanahan

In an era filled with smart cars, smart phones and smart TVs, it doesn’t sound too far-fetched that the Army would like to develop some smart weapons for what we’d like to believe have always been some pretty smart soldiers.

Last month at the annual SHOT Show, Israeli-based Smart Shooter Ltd. unveiled their SMASH Fire Control System. The company is working with Sig Sauer on the Army’s advanced fire control system project, which will be used with their new Next-Generation Squad Weapon.

This new weapons system, which includes semi and fully automatic variants, will replace the M4A1 rifle and M249 machine gun, commonly referred to as the SAW. Designed with shooter accuracy in mind, the SMASH system can engage both stationary and moving targets during the day or at night via a weapon-mounted optic site, specialized pistol grip, and a button on the handguard.

The shooter looks through the optic, placing the crosshairs on the target and then pressing the button to “mark” the target. This information is fed back through the system’s computer as the shooter keeps the crosshairs on the target and squeezes the trigger. Pressing and releasing the button essentially locks the weapon onto the target, while the crosshairs reinforce the aiming point.

This technology removes a number of variables that can affect the accuracy of the shot, such as sighting in the weapon for each user, breathing patterns that can raise or lower the round’s trajectory, weapon recoil, and even unplanned body movements. This stems from the fact that the weapon only fires if the crosshairs are properly aligned.

Additionally, if the target moves suddenly and the shooter keeps the crosshairs trained on it, the system will fire automatically once the shot lines up. This makes moving targets easier to hit without wasting rounds or revealing the direction of fire.

The system is only activated by pushing that button on the handguards, so rapid shots can still be fired without SMASH when necessary. Depending on how both the SMASH system and the new weapons test out, infantry soldiers could see both by early 2023.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Army Assault Weapon System Offers 'Guaranteed Hit'

Very interesting indeed.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Susquehanna County)

Interesting I believe there were studies done after Viet Nam that showed some tens of thousands of rounds fired for each enemy casualty. Curious. How will this work when a Final Protective Fire is ordered?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Wayne County)

I wonder how it will fare in an all out fire fight.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I wonder how it will fare in an all out fire fight.
    I remember reading that some general once stated "In combat, anything more complicated than a can opener will fail".

Bill

Now they just need these for police handguns.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Pair it up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    I remember reading that some general once stated "In combat, anything more complicated than a can opener will fail".

Bill
    Pretty sure that guy was proven wrong quite sometime ago by the SF teams.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Pretty sure that guy was proven wrong quite sometime ago by the SF teams.
    Only if their can opener failed.

Last time I had the chance to train with SF (we trained them on mortars) they did some small arms classes with us, they said this.

“We’re not any better then you. We just spend a lot of time repeating the same basic stuff over and over again, until it becomes flawless”.

Now, I’m not going to say I agreed with him. But I’ll say this, the more you train, the more shit breaks. The more you have to figure out how to work around it. The better off you are later on.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Only if their can opener failed.

Last time I had the chance to train with SF (we trained them on mortars) they did some small arms classes with us, they said this.

“We’re not any better then you. We just spend a lot of time repeating the same basic stuff over and over again, until it becomes flawless”.

Now, I’m not going to say I agreed with him. But I’ll say this, the more you train, the more shit breaks. The more you have to figure out how to work around it. The better off you are later on.
    I definitely take your word for it, I just see them using some great tech but I am sure they have to train for every contingency if all that fails. I've had the pleasure of being around and doing some pistol shooting with some Air Marshals who get most of their pistol and hand to hand training by a lot of ex SF guys and it shows it. For some of the guys I know a pistol is like a natural extension of themselves it's impressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast