Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Ruger Hawkeye LRT or Savage 12 LRP?

Any personal experience with either the Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target or Savage 12 Long Range Precision? Looking for something long range oriented under $1000 without being modular or AR-esque and these 2 are both floating near the top of that list. Likely 6.5 Creedmore in whatever I get (not a fanboy, but am starting to come around on the caliber's advantages, especially for my uses). Range use only so weight is an advantage, if anything; no plans to hunt with it. Likewise, if there's something similar in nature in the sub-$1000 range that I'm missing, open to suggestions. I usually lean towards Savage for centerfire bolt guns, but the Ruger's checking a lot of the right boxes in this case...better aesthetics IMO, 5R rifling, comes with rail, muzzle brake, stock adjustments, controlled feed, and a hair (literally, $50-100) cheaper. From what I've seen, the Savage has the edge on the overall stock quality (though it's not adjustable), fluting included, and probably on the trigger as well. Either would likely be new unless I stumble into a deal.

Thanks, RR

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Ruger Hawkeye LRT or Savage 12 LRP?

You may not want a chassis rifle but you’re in the ballpark price wise with those. Things to keep in mind. The ruger uses expensive ai mags. I’m not a fan of my savage with hs precision stock. It just doesn’t feel comfortable or fit me well. And it reflects in my accuracy with it.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Ruger Hawkeye LRT or Savage 12 LRP?

Thanks, exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. That was part of my concern on the Savage as well. What's there is probably the better stock, but the lack of adjustment options is a concern if it doesn't fit well. I get what you mean on the chassis style and cost though, and saw mag costs as well