Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Suppressor suggestions

I am looking for a suppressor I can use with 45 acp, 9mm and subsonic 300 blackout. I have a 7.62sd I mainly use for the blackout now, but I want another I can have when I take my kids shooting.

I am new to pistol suppressors and not sure what is required such as pistons etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Suppressor suggestions

I have a Liberty Cosmic 45. Will suppress just about every pistol caliber available plus 223 and 6.5 Grendel. Monocore design and easy to clean. Completely happy with it
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

Most .45 pistol suppressors will handle all that you asked for.

Pistons are required for most centerfire handguns, as most have a Browning tilting barrel style design. They contain the threaded portion that attach to your barrel, and thus you'll need one for each thread pitch you want to use. They give a bit of an extra rearward boost to help the pistol function more reliably with the weight of the suppressor.

Do NOT use pistons with fixed barrel guns (practically all rifles, rimfire guns, and a small number of centerfire pistols). They will cause damage. However, most designs will have fixed barrel spacers available that replace the spring of the piston and allow use on a fixed barrel gun. You may alternatively use a fixed barrel endcap instead, which saves weight.

Common threads for 9mm are 1/2x28 (most guns) and 13.5mm LH (HK, SIG, and Glock, maybe some other European brands). Common threads for .45 are 0.578" (most guns), 16mm LH (as before, HK, SIG, and Glock), and 16mm RH (HK Mark 23 only). Not sure about .300 BLK threads, I think 5/8-24?

I personally use a Rugged Obsidian .45. They perform well, have a nice warranty, and are modular (meaning you can shorten or lengthen the suppressor as you wish).

(Berks County)

Good summary.

One thing I would want is the ability to disassemble for cleaning.

You might know this already, but get a can that will handle the largest caliber you use. Don't get hung up on 1 or 2db for a can for a specific (smaller) caliber.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Good summary.

One thing I would want is the ability to disassemble for cleaning.

You might know this already, but get a can that will handle the largest caliber you use. Don't get hung up on 1 or 2db for a can for a specific (smaller) caliber.
    I have a non serviceable pistol can (KAC for Mk23), and it's actually one of my favorites.

Consider also the material. Aluminum is lighter, but may not stand up to some cleaning methods. Steel is tougher, but heavier.

(Westmoreland County)

I also use a Rugged Obsidian 45. Rugged had a deal with purchase that also got me the 3-lug adapter, fixed barrel spacer and one more piston. It came with the 1/2x28 piston, I added the 5/8x24 that my Rem 700 SPS Tactical 300blk is threaded for. The only extra I had to buy was a 3-lug adapter half that goes onto the barrel. I have a Sig MPX that takes a 13.5MLH adapter. I went with the Griffin Armament adapter. The Obsidian 45 covers me for 45acp, 9mm and 300 blk subsonic. I like that it is convertible to a K (short) configuration simply by unscrewing the end 2 inches or so of the tube, removing the baffle that was in that part of the tube, and then putting the end cap on the shortened tube. You can run a 9mm end cap on the 45 if you want to pick up 1 or 2 more db reduction, but I am more worried that I will have the 9mm cap on when I shoot 45acp and forget to swap that, so I will just forgo the extra db or two.

I do want to find a dedicated can that will handle 300 blk regular velocity as well as other .30 caliber rounds, but I will find a deal sooner or later. I am thinking that will be a Yankee Hill Resonator II at some point. I am just seconding the advice given above, it is all pretty accurate. Just my decision process and thoughts when I bought mine.

Oh, and I have the Sig SRD45 too, its nice but I like the Obsidian better since it can be shortened.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I have a non serviceable pistol can (KAC for Mk23), and it's actually one of my favorites.

Consider also the material. Aluminum is lighter, but may not stand up to some cleaning methods. Steel is tougher, but heavier.
    Non-serviceable is probably fine. I just personally prefer one that I can take apart and clean. +1 on the material. Again, I'm sure aluminum is fine, but I would rather have stainless. Or titanium.

(Montgomery County)

I bought an OSS HX-QD 762 Ti, I spent the extra dollars and got it in titanium. Going with the titanium was worth the extra $200.00. At the time of my purchase OSS had an offer going for two free brakes if my choice. That was worth $300.00. I am planning on buying a Obsidian 45 in the near future.