Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Pottstown ranges- semi and no NRA

Wondering if there any ranges in the Pottstown area that are fine with semi-auto and dont require an NRA membership. I would like to get back in to shooting more than once every few months or having to take a good part of the day to drive to where my buddy owns some land. I've tried the state game lands and frankly they seemed to be a train wreck of Elmer Fudds and gangbangers. Maybe I'm funny for not enjoying being swept by muzzles and having to wait 30 min to change my target. I'm not a fan of having to put 5 or less in a 30 rd magazine and make sure that I don't fire too fast. Just to be clear I'm not so jackhole looking to roll up and start bump firing or some crap like that. Not looking to do mag dumps or anything, I just want to be able to actually shoot my rifle with a full magazine. I was a member of one of the local clubs a few years back but they changed some of their policies to be more hunting oriented shall we say. Had an incident at the same place where a member drilled me about having my membership card totally visible at all times (fair enough whatever some guys like this be the boss and stuff) and then proceeded to ask me if I someone my size (5-7) could handle a rifle that large (CETME). Whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Regarding NRA membership. I don't particularly want NRA membership to be a requirement. I have a few reasons for that. First, my membership in any organisation shouldn't really have any bearing. (Short of something crazy like the Communist party or some radical gun control group.) I know the NRA does some great things but where I send my money is no one's business but mine. FWIW my I'm a registered independent who votes almost solely on pro-2A issues. Second, I dropped my NRA membership as frankly I became sick of the constant calls asking for money. Multiple times I requested to not be contacted asking for money and continued to receive phone calls. I am simply not interested in becoming a member again. I found GOA a better fit.

At the end of the day I'm just looking for a laid back club or range to go shooting at and not be bothered.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Pottstown ranges- semi and no NRA

How about the Boyertown gunclub? Or Pikeville and Becthelsville. Not sure if i spelled that right. Not sure if they are even still operating any of them. I used to belong to them back in the 80's. I moved out of the area in 91. So im out of touch with what is left.
    Member of Zerbe Township Rod & Gun Club.

Pukeville can get real fuddy and that is why I quit over 25 years ago. B-ville has some stupid rules and only has a 100 yard max range. Boyertown isnt too bad, but not at the top of my list. First would be University rifle club in Exeter Twp. . The range goes from several feet to 600 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by CoalcrackerAl View Post
    How about the Boyertown gunclub? Or Pikeville and Becthelsville. Not sure if i spelled that right. Not sure if they are even still operating any of them. I used to belong to them back in the 80's. I moved out of the area in 91. So im out of touch with what is left.
    You get an A+ on spelling. Your no dumb bunny!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

The University Rifle Club would be your best bet for near Pottstown. Unfortunately..they are closed until further notice.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by mattaias1 View Post
    ...Regarding NRA membership. I don't particularly want NRA membership to be a requirement. I have a few reasons for that. ...
    One reason for ranges to mandate NRA membership is the NRA Range Grant program, but one requirement to apply for the grant is "100-percent NRA membership affiliated club."
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Berks County)

IMO refusing to join a club because of the NRA membership requirement is a case of cutting off one's nose to spite their face. I am not familiar with all of the clubs in the area but the one I belong to has that requirement, which I met before I applied there anyway. The range is close, the restrictions are not bad and they offer most everything I look for in a range. There must be something attractive about the place because some people travel pretty far to shoot there, farther that I would like to travel.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    One reason for ranges to mandate NRA membership is the NRA Range Grant program, but one requirement to apply for the grant is "100-percent NRA membership affiliated club."
    Are you sure about that? If I remember correctly A&S Indoor Range a few years back got some NRA Range Grant $$$ and I do not believe that everyone that shoots there is an NRA member. I could be wrong, or it could be just a difference between a Sportsman Club Members Only range and an Open to the Public Range, pay as you use range.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Forgot to mention that no NRA membership is needed at University rifle club. I don't agree with all things so I am not a member anymore.
    Last edited by Daycrawler; April 9th, 2020 at 03:46 PM.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Get the NRA associates membership. It’s $10/yr and what I do. I’m not crazy about the NRA either but $10 is minimal and after 5 consecutive years you can at least vote in an attempt to get rid of the cronies.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Are you sure about that? If I remember correctly A&S Indoor Range a few years back got some NRA Range Grant $$$ and I do not believe that everyone that shoots there is an NRA member. I could be wrong, or it could be just a difference between a Sportsman Club Members Only range and an Open to the Public Range, pay as you use range.
    NRA has multiple types of grants, but their most popular one is the NRA-Affiliated Range Funding grant.

"Applicants for this program must be a 100% NRA membership NRA-Affiliated Club with funds made available at NRA’s sole discretion by approval of the Range Development Committee – a standing committee of the NRA Board of Directors. Grants can be awarded to assist with acquisition, development, and improvement of shooting facilities. This Range Grant program is limited to $5,000 per applicant per year, and the deadline for submission is August 1 annually."

The other requirement, which I currently don't see on their website, is the range must have 500+ paying members.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast