Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Help with some No4 Mk1 Enfield Markings

I just picked up a No4 Mk1 Enfield at the Oaks show and was wondering if anyone out there can help me decipher some of the markings. I was able to determine what most of them mean searching on my own. It’s a 1943 Maltby with brass butt plate, pretty nice wood, decent but maybe a little dark bore, and no import marks that I can find. The metal finish/wear/patina looks mostly even and shows age. The serial on the bolt handle matches the band behind the trigger guard but I don’t see a serial on the magazine. The side of the receiver is marked FTR B which I think means it was refurbished at BSA. Is it common for these rifles to not have import marks?

What I need help with is the following: 1. On top of the receiver just behind the wood is what appears to be a triangle someone has highlighted in white. I could only find one reference to this online but no one answered what it means. 2. While the serial on the bolt handle matches the band there are characters in what I would describe as the channel of the bolt body. It looks like N S H 5 to me. 3. And while there is no serial on the magazine SMC is on the floor plate which I think is Singer Manufacturing Company but on the back rib that faces the trigger there is what looks like a double sided axe head sitting atop an upside down V, below that is VO, and below that is something I honestly can’t make out. Maybe a an upward pointing arrow over a faint EFD over 4something, a zero or rounded rectangle. I don’t know.

I’m not really a fan of the image posting here. In order to attach the picture quality was scaled down a lot. I see lots of people with good quality images in their posts so maybe someone knows how to do it better than me. I’m on my phone too which makes it a little tougher. Maybe using an image host and pasting the URL is better. I’ll give that a shot later but I’m hoping this is enough for anyone to help out for now. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Help with some No4 Mk1 Enfield Markings

Google 'broad arrow proof mark' and you will find it is a mark indicating British government property. Really need better larger pictures to evaluate more.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(York County)

Post those pictures to the Gunboards Lee Enfield section and you should get some real expert advice. I know the generic markings you named like the FTR and Maltby, but I think the triangle on the receiver belongs to one of the many third world nations that the British Empire gave arms to in its waning days. Iraq?

Anyway those little marks are the stuff is what they guys over their live for.

(Montgomery County)

Here are better pics:

(Berks County)

Takes a little research but I used various websites to identify mine , mine is a 43 Maltby.
    https://www.milsurps.com/enfield.php?pg=in2.htm

http://www.allaboutenfields.co.nz/history/markings/
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(Montgomery County)

Thanks. I had already found both of those sites and used them among others to identify most of what I see on the rifle. Looks like EFD on the magazine might stand for Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield Lock. I’m most interested in the triangle on the receiver though. I’ve only found one other reference to that online but no answer as to what it is.

Anyone know if it’s common for these rifles to be counter bored?