Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    1,339
    Rep Power
    16473033

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by Square Bag View Post
    Probably will go with 7.62 by 39 as I don't want to reload and it's cheaper than a 300 blackout.
    If it's just the cost of ammo, I'd still go 300. Same mags you have now and 7.62 uppers can be very finicky from what I've seen.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NEPA, Pennsylvania
    (Wyoming County)
    Posts
    1,880
    Rep Power
    21474844

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by Square Bag View Post
    Probably will go with 7.62 by 39 as I don't want to reload and it's cheaper than a 300 blackout.
    If that is your choice, Empty Mag can probably help a lot. He's got a few threads here about his x39 build

    Here's one of them: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=352379
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; February 4th, 2020 at 04:48 PM. Reason: added link
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wayne, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    1,550
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    below is a list of calibers that work in a Ar15 lower. There are some bolt action uppers that fit the lower but they will not feed through the mag well, i.e. 50 bmg.
    Rimfire calibers
    .17 Mach 2
    .17 HMR[1]
    .17 Winchester Super Magnum[1]
    .22 Long Rifle[2]
    .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire[1]
    Centerfire calibers imperial measurement
    .17 Mach IV
    .17 Remington Fireball
    .17 Remington[1]
    .17-223[3]
    .20 Practical[4]
    .204 Ruger[1]
    .222 Remington
    .223 Remington
    .22 PPC
    .22 Nosler
    .224 Valkyrie
    .224 Kritzeck (Shortened .223 remington neck)[6]
    .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum[5]
    .243 LBC[3]
    .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum[5]
    .25 Winchester Super Short Magnum[5]
    .25-45 Sharps
    .277 Wolverine (6.8◊39mm)
    .30 Carbine[1]
    .30 Remington AR[7]
    30 American[8]
    300 OSSM[5]
    300 AAC Blackout (7.62◊35mm)[7]
    .300 Whisper[7]
    .350 Legend[9]
    300 HAM'R - Wilson Combat[10]
    358 Yeti - Wildcat[11]
    375 SOCOM
    .40 S&W[12]
    .45 ACP[13]
    .450 Bushmaster[1]
    .458 SOCOM[14]
    .50 Action Express
    .50 Beowulf[15]
    Centerfire calibers metric measurement
    5.45◊39mm[1]
    5.56◊45mm NATO
    FN 5.7◊28mm
    6◊45mm
    6.5mm Grendel[1]
    6.8◊39mm (.277 Wolverine)[16][17]
    6.8mm Remington SPC[7]
    7.62◊37mm Musang
    7.62◊39mm[7]
    7.62◊40mm Wilson Tactical[7]
    7.92x33mm Kurz
    9◊19mm Parabellum[2]
    10mm Auto[13]
    9x39mm[18]
    I'm not surprised that 9.3x74R isn't on the list...

    But .45-70 should be...

    9.3x74R.jpg
    - bamboomaster

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1694024

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    [QUOTE=bamboomaster;4135583]I'm not surprised that 9.3x74R isn't on the list...

    But .45-70 should be...

    i havent seen that in an ar 15 platform but phoenix weaponry does make a 45/70 AR based on a 308 lower, but its pricey. i would think 45/70 might be a little to long for a standard ar15 lower.
    Last edited by akley88; February 4th, 2020 at 06:14 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    I'm not surprised that 9.3x74R isn't on the list...

    But .45-70 should be...

    9.3x74R.jpg
    [QUOTE=akley88;4135588]
    Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    I'm not surprised that 9.3x74R isn't on the list...

    But .45-70 should be...

    i havent seen that in an ar 15 platform but phoenix weaponry does make a 45/70 AR based on a 308 lower, but its pricey. i would think 45/70 might be a little to long for a standard ar15 lower.
    458 socom mimics it ballistically pretty well.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    27,076
    Rep Power
    21474877

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    If it's just the cost of ammo, I'd still go 300. Same mags you have now and 7.62 uppers can be very finicky from what I've seen.
    That's internet fiction.
    It used to be true before extended firing pins and the introduction of C-Products Defense mags.
    No longer.

    The only real potential issue with a 7.62x39 AR is the bolt.
    Since it uses the same bolt as a 5.56 with the bolt face machined to fit the larger case, the bolt face is thinner, creating the potential for breakage.

    I'm not reading anything to suggest it's a common issue - just that it's a POTENTIAL issue.

    Buy a spare bolt.
    (Pgh) GROUP SHOOT DATES: (April 18 Cancelled) - June 20 - August 15 - October 17 (link)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Reading, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    1694024

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

    458 socom mimics it ballistically pretty well.
    My socom is one of my favorite rounds.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    731
    Rep Power
    21474841

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    below is a list of calibers that work in a Ar15 lower. There are some bolt action uppers that fit the lower but they will not feed through the mag well, i.e. 50 bmg.
    Rimfire calibers
    .17 Mach 2
    .17 HMR[1]
    .17 Winchester Super Magnum[1]
    .22 Long Rifle[2]
    .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire[1]
    Centerfire calibers imperial measurement
    .17 Mach IV
    .17 Remington Fireball
    .17 Remington[1]
    .17-223[3]
    .20 Practical[4]
    .204 Ruger[1]
    .222 Remington
    .223 Remington
    .22 PPC
    .22 Nosler
    .224 Valkyrie
    .224 Kritzeck (Shortened .223 remington neck)[6]
    .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum[5]
    .243 LBC[3]
    .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum[5]
    .25 Winchester Super Short Magnum[5]
    .25-45 Sharps
    .277 Wolverine (6.8◊39mm)
    .30 Carbine[1]
    .30 Remington AR[7]
    30 American[8]
    300 OSSM[5]
    300 AAC Blackout (7.62◊35mm)[7]
    .300 Whisper[7]
    .350 Legend[9]
    300 HAM'R - Wilson Combat[10]
    358 Yeti - Wildcat[11]
    375 SOCOM
    .40 S&W[12]
    .45 ACP[13]
    .450 Bushmaster[1]
    .458 SOCOM[14]
    .50 Action Express
    .50 Beowulf[15]
    Centerfire calibers metric measurement
    5.45◊39mm[1]
    5.56◊45mm NATO
    FN 5.7◊28mm
    6◊45mm
    6.5mm Grendel[1]
    6.8◊39mm (.277 Wolverine)[16][17]
    6.8mm Remington SPC[7]
    7.62◊37mm Musang
    7.62◊39mm[7]
    7.62◊40mm Wilson Tactical[7]
    7.92x33mm Kurz
    9◊19mm Parabellum[2]
    10mm Auto[13]
    9x39mm[18]
    That is very informative. Thanks for posting that.
    Put up or shut up. Donate to FOAC. https://foac-pac.org/Donate

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    27,076
    Rep Power
    21474877

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    That is very informative. Thanks for posting that.
    Yeah, now we all know what to do with all those 80% lowers we have laying around!
    (Pgh) GROUP SHOOT DATES: (April 18 Cancelled) - June 20 - August 15 - October 17 (link)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    5,303
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Converting a 5.56 to 308

    Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    My socom is one of my favorite rounds.
    Yeah, I keep meaning to build one. Something always comes up and I get side tracked. One of these days though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Converting a Sig from DA/SA to DAK
    By xx AG xx in forum Pistols
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM
  2. Converting another one...
    By PennsyPlinker in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 15th, 2009, 11:22 AM
  3. Converting a DAO to SA/DA
    By Chazman321 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
  4. Converting a DAO to SA/DA
    By Chazman321 in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 8th, 2008, 01:09 PM
  5. Converting .41 mag to .44
    By DR. GLOCK in forum General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2007, 09:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops