Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Juniata County)

Default Problem with a marlin 30-30 advance needed.

So I have marlin 30/30 which is ~ 10 years old. Only really used a handful of times, normal cleaning. Upon returning home and pulling it out, I found that the trigger had a lot of play — as in tilting the gun back and forth the trigger moves about 1/4 inch. The safety also no longer functions.

So my question is, is this a gun smith problem, or something I should contact marlin about. Whatever broke, broke will it was sitting in the gun safe.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Default Re: Problem with a marlin 30-30 advance needed.

Hi , it has been some time since I picked up any of my 336's. But I am fairly certain those triggers flop around back and forth naturally.
    Fairly certain they were never non-moving when you touched them. So that doesn't sound like a problem to me , unless I am missing something.
    As far as the safety thing goes … assume you mean the cross bolt safety? If so , at the risk of provoking anger ….. you do know the hammer has to be cocked back to apply … correct? Just checking the cause you never know...….

Known as the Floopy Trigger syndrome,Mine displays the looseness but not when cocked !

(Mercer County)

the safety blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin, not the trigger from releasing the hammer

(Bucks County)

I assume it's some kind of lever like a 336? And the trigger rattles as you are trying to be quiet in the woods? Geeez...that sucks :-(
    And, they are known for this, and people keep buying them?? Wow....

Just an aside. My Dad bought a 336SC in 1950. Fired it enough to sight in the open sights. I think it was our third year of hunting, we were up around Coutersport. Day before opening. A Sunday. Dad took one shot at a target to make sure all was well, and no bang.
    I figured out the firing pin was not extending past the bolt face, ie broken. I found an old ice pick in the shed, broke it off, filed it until it was the right length, and dropped it into the firing pin channel. It worked. Told Dad if he had to take a second shot, point the muzzle straight up and lever slowly. (He didn't get a shot anyway).

Went into Coutersport on Tuesday and a gunsmith or whatever he was had the needed pin. He had them on hand due to 336 firing pin breakage was well known. The replacement pin has been fine to this day.

Point being, there is talk of how the new stuff is inferior to the old stuff. May be. Maybe not.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Bucks County)

Google floppy trigger...common problem easily solved.

Go expensive....happy trigger from brownells.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Clarion County)

These people are into Marlins: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/336/
    Few threads on it: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/g...oppy%20trigger
    FYI 336 disassembly:

Edit, found another old bookmark
    Last edited by cephas; February 2nd, 2020 at 06:09 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    So I have marlin 30/30 which is ~ 10 years old. Only really used a handful of times, normal cleaning. Upon returning home and pulling it out, I found that the trigger had a lot of play — as in tilting the gun back and forth the trigger moves about 1/4 inch. The safety also no longer functions.

So my question is, is this a gun smith problem, or something I should contact marlin about. Whatever broke, broke will it was sitting in the gun safe.
    Trigger "flops" a bit but not that much...I haven't messed with the safety model of the 336 yet so I can't say what would jam it w/o looking at it.

I'd think any smith worth his salt should be able to deal with it. I know I would.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Hi , it has been some time since I picked up any of my 336's. But I am fairly certain those triggers flop around back and forth naturally.
    Fairly certain they were never non-moving when you touched them. So that doesn't sound like a problem to me , unless I am missing something.
    As far as the safety thing goes … assume you mean the cross bolt safety? If so , at the risk of provoking anger ….. you do know the hammer has to be cocked back to apply … correct? Just checking the cause you never know...….
    Both when cocked and not cocked. And it is a lot, much more then just sloppy.

And I’m not sure if I knew it had to be cocked to apply or not, but I do know the hammer comes down when the trigger is pulled regardless of the position of the safety.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    the safety blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin, not the trigger from releasing the hammer

So you’re saying I need to load it to figure out if it is working.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast