Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Problem with a marlin 30-30 advance needed.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    So you’re saying I need to load it to figure out if it is working.
    NO! With gun unloaded, no ammo anywhere near gun, pull hammer all the way back till it locks back. Push in safety. With thumb holding hammer, pull trigger, and slowly lower hammer. While holding trigger, push hammer forward towards firing pin, you should be able to easily see the hammer can not touch the firing pin.

Now push safety other direction so you see red on safety, repeat same process and hammer should go all the way forward touching the firing pin. Again no ammo in gun

Both when cocked and not cocked. And it is a lot, much more then just sloppy.

And I’m not sure if I knew it had to be cocked to apply or not, but I do know the hammer comes down when the trigger is pulled regardless of the position of the safety.
    Ok, fair enough. Without seeing the trigger I couldn't say and take your word on that.
    About the safety ...when you say the hammer comes down.
    Down where all the way forward?
    Because again , not trying to assume anything but the safety is only a hammer block , nothing more and isn't supposed to keep the hammer from moving.
    It's nothing more than a do-dad that blocks the hammer should it fall forward. Which is way you can't apply it with hammer down.
    Also , the trigger and safety really aren't that combined that one problem would have anything to do with the other as I can figure.
    Since you are trying to decide.
    If you find a trustable gunsmith , show him the rifle and see what he says before you pack it up and return to the factory.
    But somethings are lost when talking on a forum and it can take a while to understand one another but it SOUNDS like you think the hammer should not move at all with safety applied.
    IF … this is what you are thinking …. it is not correct. It just blocks movement past a certain point …. not stop it from moving at all.
    Again , I think this is obvious which is why I think I may not be following you correctly.
    You did say … you were not sure if you knew it had to be cocked or not to apply ….. that leads me to think , you are not aware of what the safety does.
    If you half cock or full cock the hammer …..and apply the safety …….. the hammer should/could go forward until stopped by the safety blocking the path of the hammer.

Unload the gun . point at something safe to shoot ….. apply safety with hammer all way back …… pull trigger'

IF the hammer moves but stops from going all the forward …… by the safety …… you have no problem that couldn't be solved by reading an owners manual.
    Last edited by Boondox; February 2nd, 2020 at 10:15 PM.

Let me say just one more thing.
    I am not always the best listener or understander when people talk to me ,
    nor am I the best explainer....
    but I just want to point out that a marlin 336 is not like an AR ….
    when you cock an AR and apply the safety …… the trigger and hammer will not move when you pull the trigger
    on a marlin ….. if you cock it , apply safety , you can pull the trigger and hammer will drop until it hits the safety button.
    I just want to make sure we both understand this before moving on if needed.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    Google floppy trigger...common problem easily solved.

Go expensive....happy trigger from brownells.
    Marlin triggers have lots of play in them and they do flop. As Jakebrake pointed to HAPPY TRIGGER eliminates that problem. I’ve done 4 already and you get a better trigger.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
    Let me say just one more thing.
    I am not always the best listener or understander when people talk to me ,
    nor am I the best explainer....
    but I just want to point out that a marlin 336 is not like an AR ….
    when you cock an AR and apply the safety …… the trigger and hammer will not move when you pull the trigger
    on a marlin ….. if you cock it , apply safety , you can pull the trigger and hammer will drop until it hits the safety button.
    I just want to make sure we both understand this before moving on if needed.
    Nope. You explained clearly.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Nope. You explained clearly.
    I been called many things …. but no one ever said that to me before.
    I blush..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12