Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default .223 Reloading - Cost effective?

Hey guys,

I just got my first AR-15 and put 150 rounds through in on Sunday. I know I'm going to be shooting this gun a lot. Now, I reload .45 ACP and it's definitely cost effective, mainly because I'm using lead bullets. Obviously with .223 that's not an option. I'm trying to figure out if it's going to save my any money reloading .223, espeically since I'll need to buy:

1. Case trimmer
    2. Lee double disk kit for the auto disc powder measure
    3. Case lube kit
    4. Case tools (chamferer, etc)
    5. .223 Dies
    6. Bullets
    7. Primers
    8. Powder

My other question is about brass. I fired a bunch of Sellior & Bellot ammo and I'm wondering if their brass is ok to reload with or if I should buy new Remington brass or something.

To those of you that reload .223, what is it costing you per round? Saving any significant money over buying factory ammo?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .223 Reloading - Cost effective?

I don't have figures for you, sorry. Someone else will surely be along with those.

I figure the cost of reloading is more about how valuable your time is. Once you get the tools, the componants will almost always be cheaper than the finished product. Unless you are going for ulta accuracy or some super-duper monster stopping bullet/load.

If it is something that you enjoy as a side hobby to your shooting that is a bonas.

I think that rifle cartridge reloading is a bit more time consuming than pistol cartridges.

Since it appears that you already have a press the increased cost of tools will not be significant. The dies will be your biggest.
    So long as you have the time, with the price of .223 these days, I would have to say it would be cheaper.
    I am sure someone will be along shortly with figures.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Berks County)

Reloading 223 is fun and cost effective. I am fairly new to it, and the accuracy that you can get is very exciting. If you do not take into consideration the hardware...which you have to, I know, it breaks down pretty much like this for me. I am going to keep it to the 55gr stuff because that is probably what you will end up shooting the most out of your rifle.

500 m193 projectiles from weidners www.weidners.com $37 plus shipping
    500 CCI 450 Magnum small pistol primers $22.50 at $4.50 a box
    2 lb Hodgdon H335 powder. $17.25 x 2 at Shyday in Lebanon

With tax and shipping it comes out to around $110 for 500 .223 XM193~ish rounds.....vs. $180+ for a case of federal.

Of course, you can save much more by buying in bulk. If you order the 5000 projectiles, the shipping is free, and you can get 8lb containers of power for $114 at Shydas....you can see how the cost will come down.

Now of course you have to ake into consideration the cost of the brass, and your time, but the way I look at it, the brass is basically free cause you already had the fun of shooting it in the first place.

Your S&B brass will be fine for reloading, just keep an eye on it once you have a couple of loads through it. Of course, it you can get you hands on some Lake City once fired brass that is pretty much the ticket. I just noticed in Cheaper than Dirt they have 500 never fired non-primed cases of LC 06 headstamped brass for around $84 I think. The nice part of that is you do not have to remove the military primer crimp on those cases like you do on the once fired stuff.

Good luck and happy reloading!

The Capn'
    Last edited by Capnswervon; October 20th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post

1. Case trimmer [$12]
    2. Lee double disk kit for the auto disc powder measure
    3. Case lube kit
    4. Case tools (chamferer, etc) [$3]
    5. .223 Dies [$27]
    6. Bullets [$44/500 Hornady 55gr FMJBT]
    7. Primers [$30/1000]
    8. Powder [300 load/lb @ $20/lb]

To those of you that reload .223, what is it costing you per round? Saving any significant money over buying factory ammo?
    Recurring cost/rd = bullet 8.5c, primer 3.0c, powder 6.7c = 18.2c/rd
    Amoritization of equipment depends on # rds loaded.
    Time to reload = if you don't enjoy it and expect to get paid, don't start.

Money saved - NONE. You'll shoot more and blow away any savings that you experience - but then again it a HOBBY and its FUN so therefore its PRICELESS.

Prices above are for lower end LEE equipment - of course you could spend much more on the higher ends manufacturers but Lee works just fine for me. Buy powder/primers locally, other equip prices from Midwayusa.com and will cost abot $12 for shipping.

(Jefferson County)

It usually takes thousands of rounds of reloads to actually start saving money. You have to account for the reloading equipment, dies, reloading supplies, etc with each round loaded.

If you have $300-500 into a station, and you save $.01 to $.05 per round, it'll take awhile to recoup the equipment costs. Until then you haven't saved a thing and are still in the red versus factory ammo costs. Not to mention your time that is involved and what you value it at.

Its very hard to beat bulk mill-ball ammo prices at reloading. Mil-ball/bulk makes profit per volume, where as customer tailored, hunting or "defensive" loads makes profit per sale - which usually cost 2-5 times more than it should.

rifle
    http://10xshooters.com/calculators/R...Calculator.htm

handgun
    http://10xshooters.com/calculators/H...Calculator.htm

(Lancaster County)

I'm pondering the same decision between reloading .223 and buying a 5.45x39 upper and saving the money that way.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Jefferson County)

For a typical 223 setup at $300 (press, dies, tumbler, gauges, etc) and using Cabelas' prices for bulk brass, 55gr FMJ's, primers and powder versus a bulk 223 ammo of 250rds at $99.99 = $7.93 per 20rnds. It'd take about 1670rnds to start saving money, a little less if you can get free range brass. lol

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    For a typical 223 setup at $300 (press, dies, tumbler, gauges, etc) and using Cabelas' prices for bulk brass, 55gr FMJ's, primers and powder versus a bulk 223 ammo of 250rds at $99.99 = $7.93 per 20rnds. It'd take about 1670rnds to start saving money, a little less if you can get free range brass. lol

I have a press, calipers, etc. I currently reload .45ACP. Maybe I'll get the fiance to buy me the components for xmas this year.

(Allegheny County)

The above calculations provided was only a basic guide. My costs are considerably lower on the components. Without going into details, it cost me .17 a round to reload 223. The same quality of ammo if purchased in bulk would cost at least .50 a round. You could always split the difference and shoot Wolf at about .30 a round. If you're going to burn more than 2-3 thousand rounds a year, it's worth reloading. If you're going to burn 500-1000 rounds a year, save your money.
    Toujours prêt

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I have a press, calipers, etc. I currently reload .45ACP. Maybe I'll get the fiance to buy me the components for xmas this year.
    If you already have the basics like press, scales, etc - then a set of dies and trimmer is really nothing.

Your production rate and time involved would be the biggest factor. Its hard to pump out a crap load of semi-auto plinking ammo with a single stage press.

If you have a turret or progressive, you probably would be farther ahead to load them yourself. You can really chuck out the ammo with those setups.

I'm sure you can beat the Cabela's prices that I used as an example, so your cost savings and equipment recouping will take much less time.

I say go for it if you're gonna shoot that AR. It dont take long to go through a 250rd pack with a semi-auto, heck just an half hour's time will burn up $80-100 in ammo. If you reloaded and have recouped the costs, that could be around $40-50 in the same amount of range time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast