Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: .223 Reloading - Cost effective?

Based off the last time i bought materials to load 223, my cheapest cost to load 1 round was $0.2766 and the most expensive was $0.3733. I made a spreadsheet that accounts for all materials (excluding brass, dies, press, etc). The variation is essentially which bullet and what powder & charge I'm using.

Figuring the average box of bullets is 20 rounds, it costs be $5.53 or $7.47 for a box. Yeah its worth it on cost alone, and the accuracy is better.
    Stay armed my friends.

(Berks County)

For plinking ammo it's hard to beat store bought recently.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Thumbs up Re: .223 Reloading - Cost effective?

I have finally decided that reloading rifle ammo, like .223 is really not worth the trouble. I do not varmint-shoot & so do not need ultra-accurate rds. I save brass and trade it in for discounts on comm'l reloads in .223 and also now for 9x19 pistol . It's just too dang much trouble to reload finicky 9mm pistol ammo when it can be bought for about a cheap as I can do it.

I have always been a wheel gun man and still shoot .38/.357 and so still like to load those myself...plus I still like reloading .45 ACP. I have found that the straight-walled pistol cases are MUCH easier to load.

G'luck!!

(Washington County)

My current cost per round is .16. I buy everthing in bulk and all my equipment has long ago be paid off in savings. My last buy was 5000 primers at 19.95 X 5, 8 lbs of ArComp at 154.00, and 88.00 for a 1000 55gr Hornady FMJ. These prices included shipping except for the primers which I drove to Cabelas in Wheeling to get. I reload everything I shoot including shotgun shells. All my brass is range pickups so there is no cost for it. I save all brass whether I have a gun in that caliber or not so I can trade for brass that I shoot. I also might get a gun in that caliber so I would have the brass.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
    I have finally decided that reloading rifle ammo, like .223 is really not worth the trouble. I do not varmint-shoot & so do not need ultra-accurate rds. I save brass and trade it in for discounts on comm'l reloads in .223 and also now for 9x19 pistol . It's just too dang much trouble to reload finicky 9mm pistol ammo when it can be bought for about a cheap as I can do it.

I have always been a wheel gun man and still shoot .38/.357 and so still like to load those myself...plus I still like reloading .45 ACP. I have found that the straight-walled pistol cases are MUCH easier to load.

G'luck!!
    Yes with the ammo glut you do have to question reloading right now. I'm doing a bunch of 9mm right now because I have the components ready to go but even brass cased ammo has fallen to $8.95 to $9.95 a box.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Yes with the ammo glut you do have to question reloading right now. I'm doing a bunch of 9mm right now because I have the components ready to go but even brass cased ammo has fallen to $8.95 to $9.95 a box.
    Where are you seeing that price, shipped?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I'd venture to say that the $9 a box ammo isn't as accurate, clean, or gentle cycling as what you can reload. Even if it was, $9 a box still isn't $5.50 a box.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345