Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Courthouse

(Fayette County)

Default Courthouse

For those of you who carry into the courthouse and check in your firearm, could you tell me what their SOP is or how they conduct themselves when you inform them you have a firearm to check in? I end up going to the courthouse a few times a year and seems that there is one security guard there who either has an issue with me or has an issue with people carrying firearms. I'd like to hear other peoples experiences at their county courthouse.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Courthouse

Last few times I checked a firearm they had more of a problem with my steel toed boots than they did with the firearm.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Last few times I checked a firearm they had more of a problem with my steel toed boots than they did with the firearm.
    I wish I had the same experience today.

(Berks County)

No problem at Reading but I don't remember exactly what the procedure was. I'm thinking I filled out paper on it, he opened locker, I put the firearm in the locker and he locked it, reverse when leaving.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Butler has self-check lockers just before the checkpoint, and very friendly and professional sheriff's deputies.

(Clinton County)

For the most part I just make sure I speak calmly and clearly to the guard about needing to check a firearm or anything else, what is where and state every intention. Keep it pointed in a safe direction and get a receipt! Usually no problems in Clinton County at the courthouse, our sheriff and District 76 Rep is 2A friendly.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Indiana County)

It would appear that every county court house runs a little differently. For the Indiana County Court House (their procedure is a little bit convoluted, but still friendly):
    Go to the counter before the magic gateway, call a deputy over if necessary, tell the deputy you'd like to check your handgun.
    They run you through the magic gateway, which beeps, behind the counter, and into the storage room behind it.
    There you take your gun, in its holster, they log it in (and log you in), and give you a receipt.
    They then run you back to the magic gateway and you again go through it just like everyone else (this time without packing heat).
    Coming out of the court house you hold up your ticket as you approach the gateway exit, and if I remember correctly (it's been a while since jury duty) you go back into the office, swap your ticket for your handgun, and exit the court house under the eye of a watchful deputy.

For Indiana County it's no big deal. They only have room for four handguns, so I have no idea what they'd do if numbers five and beyond showed up.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    No problem at Reading but I don't remember exactly what the procedure was. I'm thinking I filled out paper on it, he opened locker, I put the firearm in the locker and he locked it, reverse when leaving.
    Sounds pretty reasonable. Well Fayette County is not like that. Today I walked in and informed the Security Guard that I had a firearm I needed to check in. He replied back and said, don't reach for it and you better have a permit for that. I told him I do and I wont reach for it, it's in the front, I appendix carry. As I stepped through the metal detector I had my hands around shoulder height (Old habits from work when I was a CO.) Anyways as soon as I stepped through he took a step towards me and reached for my waist where my pistol was. As he did this I took a step back and he said I'll remove your firearm. At this time I told him I'd rather not because I dont want him pointing my firearm at me as he removes it. (I've been around this guy before and he has no regard for safety) he then unsnapped his holster and put his hand on his firearm. I then said to him don't do that just call your supervisor cause you do this stuff to me everytime I come down here. So then he told me to remove the firearm In the holster and hand it to him, so I did. As he walked towards the lock boxes he tells me that I need to leave my firearm in my vehicle (yeah that's a great idea, leave a firearm unsecure in my vehicle outside of the courthouse and jail where criminals are. Solid plan) which I said to him. He then told me if I'm going to be a smart ass he will confiscate my firearm and I'll be arrested. At this point I cant help but to laugh at him and said please do. this would have totally made my day. Anyways I went and did business and when I came back to retrieve my firearm he had a deputy waiting there for me to tell me how I was a bad boy and how I need to conduct myself. When he handed my firearm back to me he then unsnapped his holster again and put his hand on his pistol. I then told him just stop, if you are that scared it's time to get a new job. He was also got angry when I informed him he wrote down the wrong serial number as my glock 19 has 3 different serial numbers on it since the barrel, slide, and frame don't match.

That deputy needs to find a new line of work. He doesn't have the demeanor required for the job. There is no reason to unsnap a holster if things progressed the way you described. He is clearly looking for a reason to mess with law-abiding citizens.

I hope you filed a formal complaint?
    I am not a lawyer.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    That deputy needs to find a new line of work. He doesn't have the demeanor required for the job. There is no reason to unsnap a holster if things progressed the way you described. He is clearly looking for a reason to mess with law-abiding citizens.

I hope you filed a formal complaint?
    And somebody tell him that thumb-break holsters are so 1970's. Even worse if he's rocking an Uncle Mike's or some other one-size-fits-all POS.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast