Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Courthouse

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Courthouse

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Please contact the Sheriff and politely but firmly explain what is going on and ask him to please instruct his deputies correctly.
    Tell him you are extremely concerned that this deputy's behavior is both antagonistic and dangerous, and may lead to an accidental shooting.
    Be polite, be professional, and focus on concern for safety as opposed to getting the deputy in trouble.

If you don't have the presence of mind to talk to the Sheriff by phone, then put it in writing.
    If you don't have the skills to write a good letter, I or others can edit your written draft.
    It sounds like you go there often, so it is in your best interest to handle this properly and prevent an accident.
    I wrote a letter to the sheriff and spoke to him today on the phone, he told me he is going to watch the videos and speak to the security guards/deputies about this. He agreed it is none of their business as to why I am carrying a firearm and that they should not be disarming anyone or clearing weapons in the foyer of the courthouse. Hopefully this resolves the issues

(York County)

The last time I went to the York one which was in September, I’m not sure if the officer near the entrance was new or just wasn’t expecting a non-LEO to need to check a firearm but I came in and instead of proceeding to dump my pockets into the screening bin I tried to inform him that I needed to check a firearm and he repeatedly kept stating loudly “sir empty your belongings into the bin” until about the 3rd time I said that I needed to check a firearm first, then he gave me a blank stare for a second before telling me to come to the lockbox area with a kind of “really?” tone to his voice. Prior to that every time I’d been to the York courthouse they were pretty friendly about it.

(Chester County)

In Chester County with the new building you walk in and the lockers are to the right. You put your firearm in, take the key then go through the metal detectors. That's how it's been since they opened the new Justice Center.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmil13 View Post
    I wrote a letter to the sheriff and spoke to him today on the phone, he told me he is going to watch the videos and speak to the security guards/deputies about this. He agreed it is none of their business as to why I am carrying a firearm and that they should not be disarming anyone or clearing weapons in the foyer of the courthouse. Hopefully this resolves the issues
    Well done.
    Please post any updates as they develop.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    In Delaware County, the sheriff office is in the courthouse proper, but the lockboxes (2) are in an auxiliary building.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=323317
    yea, that is zero percent legal.

Juniata county has lock boxes in both the annex and the courthouse, in order to comply with the law.
    I have not spoken with DelCo on the issue but, if memory serves, the law requires them to have lockers "at" the courthouse, not necessarily "in" the courthouse, and the building is within the courthouse 'complex'.

So, I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmil13 View Post
    Sounds pretty reasonable. Well Fayette County is not like that. Today I walked in and informed the Security Guard that I had a firearm I needed to check in. He replied back and said, don't reach for it and you better have a permit for that. I told him I do and I wont reach for it, it's in the front, I appendix carry. As I stepped through the metal detector I had my hands around shoulder height (Old habits from work when I was a CO.) Anyways as soon as I stepped through he took a step towards me and reached for my waist where my pistol was. As he did this I took a step back and he said I'll remove your firearm. At this time I told him I'd rather not because I dont want him pointing my firearm at me as he removes it. (I've been around this guy before and he has no regard for safety) he then unsnapped his holster and put his hand on his firearm. I then said to him don't do that just call your supervisor cause you do this stuff to me everytime I come down here. So then he told me to remove the firearm In the holster and hand it to him, so I did. As he walked towards the lock boxes he tells me that I need to leave my firearm in my vehicle (yeah that's a great idea, leave a firearm unsecure in my vehicle outside of the courthouse and jail where criminals are. Solid plan) which I said to him. He then told me if I'm going to be a smart ass he will confiscate my firearm and I'll be arrested. At this point I cant help but to laugh at him and said please do. this would have totally made my day. Anyways I went and did business and when I came back to retrieve my firearm he had a deputy waiting there for me to tell me how I was a bad boy and how I need to conduct myself. When he handed my firearm back to me he then unsnapped his holster again and put his hand on his pistol. I then told him just stop, if you are that scared it's time to get a new job. He was also got angry when I informed him he wrote down the wrong serial number as my glock 19 has 3 different serial numbers on it since the barrel, slide, and frame don't match.
    Have Gunlawyer or Josh Prince send a letter for you.
    Last edited by PocketProtector; February 4th, 2020 at 02:18 PM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    So, I guess it depends on what your definition of "is" is...
    No definition of "is" is required. It's plain letter law, to wit:

§ 913. Possession of firearm or other dangerous weapon in court facility.
    (e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking of firearms by persons carrying firearms under section 6106(b) or 6109 or for the checking of other dangerous weapons that are not otherwise prohibited by law. Any individual checking a firearm, dangerous weapon or an item deemed to be a dangerous weapon at a court facility must be issued a receipt. Notice of the location of the facility shall be posted as required under subsection (d).

The phrase "at or within the building containing a court facility" is about as plain and as clear as it gets. "In a nearby building," "across the street" or "just around the corner down the block" doesn't cut it.

I think it would take an attorney and a lawsuit against the county commissioners to fix.
    Last edited by Statkowski; February 4th, 2020 at 05:09 PM.

(Dauphin County)

I have jury duty coming up next week, anything worth knowing about in Dauphin Co courthouse? My jury summons says DO NOT bring your firearm. That doesn't sit well with me.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post
    I have jury duty coming up next week, anything worth knowing about in Dauphin Co courthouse? My jury summons says DO NOT bring your firearm. That doesn't sit well with me.
    Ah, but just think it the lovely opportunity to point out during jury selection that you don’t think you could trust a single word that came out of the Judges, or DA’s mouth considering their demonstrates track record of withholding relevant from the jury pool, in regards to Fundamental civil rights exercised by members
    Of the jury pool, and how deeply disappointing this attempt at official oppression under color of law is, especially considering your concerns over jury pool tampering.

If you need an attorney that specializes in civil rights law. Best Law offices in Sunbury.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post
    I was scheduled for next week as well but had to reschedule. I called the sheriff's office and they told me there was a locker downstairs at that entrance as well. I don't recall seeing one there a few years ago but if not I was planning on checking it upstairs. Can you post your experience next week?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast