Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Courthouse

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Courthouse

Quote Originally Posted by gooseSA40 View Post
    For my Juror Duty 5 years ago, I open carried everyday and used the main entrance off Market Street. I got to know the "Security Guard" in charge, Joe (I think). First day, I went in and asked to check my firearm. After some back and forth and BS about said firearm, I told him that I'm here all week for Jury Duty, so better get used to checking the firearm.

They will push to see the LTCF. Your choice on pushing back.

Unless things have changed.... Use the main entrance, and the juror seating area is downstairs and to the left.

Honestly, don't take their BS or polite request not to bring the firearms. If the "Security Guards" refuse to do their job, ask for an actual Sheriff's Deputy.
    Thank you for answering my question. As long as I can make it down to the jury pool from the main entrance I will just use that. I knew of needing your LTCF when checking the firearm, didn't know you could push back. Wonder what the consequences would be if declining to show it?

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by PGRNPA View Post
    Thank you for answering my question. As long as I can make it down to the jury pool from the main entrance I will just use that. I knew of needing your LTCF when checking the firearm, didn't know you could push back. Wonder what the consequences would be if declining to show it?
    There is nothing in that law that requires you to present your LTCF. Security has no authority to see it, and a deputy has the same authority as you do, that is to say common law. They can pound rocks, or find a cop that has the authority to request to see your LTCF.

Of course, such a request outside of some other criminal activity is likely also a civil rights violations, just like demanding to see your driver’s license when you have committed no crime is.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    There is nothing in that law that requires you to present your LTCF. Security has no authority to see it, and a deputy has the same authority as you do, that is to say common law. They can pound rocks, or find a cop that has the authority to request to see your LTCF.

Of course, such a request outside of some other criminal activity is likely also a civil rights violations, just like demanding to see your driver’s license when you have committed no crime is.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PAMedic=F|A= again."
    --ET

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post

And to be clear. Simply carry a gun is not a crime. Just like driving is not a crime.

You need a license for both (if you carry concealed). It isn’t legal to demand you license for either activity.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Fayette County)

Sorry for not updating this, but I went back to the courthouse and their SOP for checking a firearm has changed. I informed the security guard I had a firearm to check in, he told me to follow him over to the lockers when we got there he said, please face the locker, place your firearm inside close the locker and remove the key then he gave me a receipt for the firearm. After I picked up my firearm he apologized to me about the prior incident and I went on my way.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmil13 View Post
    Sorry for not updating this, but I went back to the courthouse and their SOP for checking a firearm has changed. I informed the security guard I had a firearm to check in, he told me to follow him over to the lockers when we got there he said, please face the locker, place your firearm inside close the locker and remove the key then he gave me a receipt for the firearm. After I picked up my firearm he apologized to me about the prior incident and I went on my way.
    It sounds like you solved the problem.
    You have performed a service for the entire 2A community.
    Well done.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Dauphin County)

Sounds like he got his ass reamed by the sheriff.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Juniata County)

No, thank you for your post and the update. It was the start of a good conversation, that I think many of us have used to improve our understanding. The more we know, and actually think about these issues ahead of time, the better prepared we are to deal with them.

A few years back I was at the Snyder county court house. They had security, I check my firearm, no issue. Few weeks later they had put deputies out front instead. Deputy didn’t know the law, and wanted me to unholster my firearm, unload it, and place it in the locker. This caught me unprepared due to my previous uneventful experience there. However thanks to the experience and sharing of knowledge of others on this forum, I informed him (not as confidently as I would have liked), that there was no chance that was going to happen. That my firearm required me to disengage the safety to unload it, which is unsafe as they do not have a clearing barrel or safe direction to point it, that I was not going to unholster my firearm unless I had a reason to use it, and the law did not require it to be unloaded & this I could not be required to unloaded it. I told him I was going to take the entire holster off my belt like I had before and put it in the locker.

Likewise, a lot of people think open carry is a big deal. But if you talk to the people on the open carry forum, no one has anything to report. It is much ado about nothing. No one noticed and no one cares.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

(Dauphin County)

I know the statute reads that "each county must provide" but I'm curious if that applies to a federal courthouse or a district justice office?

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by PGRNPA View Post
    I know the statute reads that "each county must provide" but I'm curious if that applies to a federal courthouse or a district justice office?
    No, it does not apply to a federal courthouse. The county has no jurisdiction in the matter.

Yes, it does apply to a district justice office. Good luck with finding one where the county has shelled out the cash to invest in any sort of storage facility at an MDJ office.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast