Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Introducing friends of friends to firearms

I wanted to get your take on my situation. My wife and I are frequently asked by friends and now friends of friends, to introduce them to firearms, concealed carry, and home defense.

With friends we didn’t hesitate to invite them to our home. We would show them the various types of guns we own, explain safety, explain different guns, let them handle and dry fire safely, talk about carrying and home defense, etc.

Now that we have friends of friends requesting the same thing, I’m concerned we are opening our selves to liability should any of these people run afoul of the law. Are we liable for providing “training” to them since we are not licensed instructors? Does our liability change if we start asking for monetary compensation from these people?

We aren’t trying to start a business, but if things progress to a range session it costs my wife and I money. We need a babysitter, pay range fees, ammo, etc. I would really appreciate a legal opinion on this or if anyone has a link to information on this topic.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Introducing friends of friends to firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkowboys View Post
    I wanted to get your take on my situation. My wife and I are frequently asked by friends and now friends of friends, to introduce them to firearms, concealed carry, and home defense.

With friends we didn’t hesitate to invite them to our home. We would show them the various types of guns we own, explain safety, explain different guns, let them handle and dry fire safely, talk about carrying and home defense, etc.

Now that we have friends of friends requesting the same thing, I’m concerned we are opening our selves to liability should any of these people run afoul of the law. Are we liable for providing “training” to them since we are not licensed instructors? Does our liability change if we start asking for monetary compensation from these people?

We aren’t trying to start a business, but if things progress to a range session it costs my wife and I money. We need a babysitter, pay range fees, ammo, etc. I would really appreciate a legal opinion on this or if anyone has a link to information on this topic.
    Unless they are very close friends and you trust them unequivocally I would suggest that you direct them to the nearest training facility and let them take a course of their choosing
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Bucks County)

Fuck that. As the above poster said, send them to a training facility.
    NEVER show "friends of friends" your stash.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Agree to meet at a range for a fun adult afternoon of shooting, bring a long a few firearms that would be good to introduce a beginner too. Answer basic questions about firearms and the law and if they like it then they will seek out training and more in depth answers to their questions.

I would NOT recommend giving concealed carry training or anything beyond basic target shooting from a bench or lane at a range. You don't have liability insurance and if ranges find out you were giving a training session beyond bringing a new friend to the range for the 1st time in their facility without being authorized your most likely going to get banned.

Have them pay for what they use regarding range visits, ammo and targets even if using your firearms. Beyond that that is all you can or should do for almost anyone that isn't a close family member or friend.

(Allegheny County)

I think everyone is overthinking this.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Honesty I want to get as many people interested in the 2nd and comfortable with firearms. For me it's a case by case situation. If a person i trust vouches for someone, i am open to talking to them and giving them pointers. They don't need to know everything i have but i can take them through the basics. I am also open for going to the range with them or the gun store to get them more comfortable.

The more we expose and get involved the stronger we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I think everyone is overthinking this.
    Not true, I never think about anything.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 30th, 2020 at 01:26 PM.

loose lips sink ships.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    loose lips sink ships.
    Exactly! Does your house have alarm system?

(Berks County)

Only a very select few friends even see my stash and I agree with the nays for all of the previously stated reasons. I would, however, take one of my run-of-the-mill pieces to that friend's house and help familiarize them with it with a heavy emphasis on safety so it would not be loaded. Then I would help them select a professional who could help them further.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast