Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Introducing friends of friends to firearms

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Otherwise, fuck’em. They’re not serious.
    Or they don't have the money to make a mistake with their first purchase or pay for professional lessons and just need some guidance.

I'm happy to teach anyone to shoot who I know at least a bit. No, not doing total strangers but that's never came up. And hell no I'd never show anyone my safe, what's inside, etc.

I'm also happy to provide ammo. If you're starting a first time shooter out with a .22LR pistol like you should, then maybe moving up to 9mm, the first lesson is very likely going to be well south of $10 in ammo. In my opinion, that $10 is worth more than a donation 10x that amount to a gun lobby group. Properly teaching a new shooter is one of the best 2A advocate activities we can do. I'm not giving that up for some astronomically small chance of being sued.

That said I view my teaching skills as up to the task for this. Some people may not be able to get their points across effectively or safely introduce people. But most importantly - DO NOT SCARE WOMEN AWAY BY PUTTING A LARGE CALIBER IN THEIR HANDS. Use a .22LR, or if you have to - a heavy gun with 9mm or .38sp. Double up their ear protection, especially indoors so they aren't jolted by the noise/blast. They key is to 1) be safe 2) have fun 3) learn skills - in that order. That creates new shooters.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Or they don't have the money to make a mistake with their first purchase or pay for professional lessons and just need some guidance.

I'm happy to teach anyone to shoot who I know at least a bit. No, not doing total strangers but that's never came up. And hell no I'd never show anyone my safe, what's inside, etc.

I'm also happy to provide ammo. If you're starting a first time shooter out with a .22LR pistol like you should, then maybe moving up to 9mm, the first lesson is very likely going to be well south of $10 in ammo. In my opinion, that $10 is worth more than a donation 10x that amount to a gun lobby group. Properly teaching a new shooter is one of the best 2A advocate activities we can do. I'm not giving that up for some astronomically small chance of being sued.

That said I view my teaching skills as up to the task for this. Some people may not be able to get their points across effectively or safely introduce people. But most importantly - DO NOT SCARE WOMEN AWAY BY PUTTING A LARGE CALIBER IN THEIR HANDS. Use a .22LR, or if you have to - a heavy gun with 9mm or .38sp. Double up their ear protection, especially indoors so they aren't jolted by the noise/blast. They key is to 1) be safe 2) have fun 3) learn skills - in that order. That creates new shooters.
    I have a couple of 9mm and a nice .45 that I'd like to learn how to shoot. When are you available? Bring lots of ammo, I'm a slow learner.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

For the OP...if these are women that you are talking about Northern Chester County Sportsman's Club (NCCSC) has a women's club where they have women teach women all about guns and shooting and much of their stuff is open to the public. I am confident that those women would love the opportunity to teach new people all about guns and shooting.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I have a couple of 9mm and a nice .45 that I'd like to learn how to shoot. When are you available? Bring lots of ammo, I'm a slow learner.
    I don't teach through high volume just good fundamentals

And current gun owners don't count towards my willingness to provide ammo

(Juniata County)

This thread is both chilling and why soccer moms are so important.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=356434
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

For me it would depend what kind of "friends".

Young single guys that are bringing other young single strangers into your house........then NO.

Reputable couples (preferably settled with kids) that are concerned about their safety and some of their reputable friends in the same situation they can vouch for ........Try and help them.

Don't be afraid to ask your friends a lot of questions about the 'friends of friends" before you agree to meet them. They should be people your trusted friend knows well and can recommend without question. And I wouldn't show them everything. A pistol and a shotgun would be a good start. Then let them handle them and talk a lot about safety and responsible storage (especially with kids).

I would not worry about liability either (famous last words). Your goal at first is not to train them. It should be to open their eyes that firearms are not evil and they have options to protect themselves. Let them get training elsewhere. If they later become good friends then take them to the range.
    Last edited by Delkal; February 1st, 2020 at 01:02 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234