Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default gun violence survivers foundation?

My son is involved in nerf blaster wars, and there's a fenefit war coming up that all the entrance fees go to this organization: http://gvsfoundation.org Website says they are neutral, but I don't trust anybody on the web. Anybody have any info? I'm willing to be the bad guy with my son and stick to my guns if they are anti, but if they are neutral then we go. Thanks in advance

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: gun violence survivers foundation?

The words "gun violence" in the name is a dead giveaway that they are LYING about being neutral.

At least that's my take on it. Not even looking at the website. Sorry.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs down Re: gun violence survivers foundation?

Their Vice President is not looking good: https://drgo.us/bindu-kalesan-should-be-fired/

The anti-firearm activist and researcher Bindu Kalesan made headlines recently with her latest advocacy piece, which DRGO’s Publication Review Team gutted in Tuesday’s blog entry. We take this opportunity to show how Kalesan is just another practitioner of a long tradition of scientific disgrace—abusing scientific credentials to advance a culture war against gun owners. And this is how the public health gun prohibition movement’s future is in doubt under our new political leadership.

In her Injury Prevention article, “School Shootings during 2013-2015 in the USA”, Kalesan and her coauthors intends to convince readers that states spending more money on mental health treatment and on education, as well as requiring background checks for firearm purchases, have fewer school shootings. As flawed as the article is, mainstream media outlets eagerly picked up the message and trumpeted it to the nation. The corrupt system of junk science findings to media outlets to the public (and their elected representatives) worked.

Kalesan exemplifies the crusading junk scientist—a generally urban career academic steeped in the anti-firearm civil rights atmosphere of universities, proudly ignorant of America’s gun culture and the political tradition it’s founded on, and unabashedly entangled in various formal gun control lobby groups. There are numerous examples, but let’s take a closer look at Kalesan herself.

According to the website of Gun Violence Survivors Foundation, Kalesan is its Vice President. The website claims to help “survivors of gun violence in an effort to help them heal mentally and emotionally.” Kalesan’s biosketch on the website relates in the murky patter of the social sciences her goals of “pursuing research to determine the social, individual and political factors that drive the increase or decrease in firearm injury in each state. Eventually, her goals are to minimize the preventable injuries and deaths due to firearm violence.”

If her modus operandi is anything like that of her fellow anti-gun rights advocacy researchers—Arthur Kellermann, Garen Wintemute, David Hemenway, and others—“minimiz[ing] the preventable injuries and deaths due to firearm violence” is code for working to pass more and more gun control laws.

Indeed, Kalesan’s two Twitter accounts (here and here) are full of tweets, hashtags, and usernames affiliated with the gun prohibition movement
    More at the linked article... suggest reading the whole thing if you can stomach it.

Last edited by gghbi; January 30th, 2020 at 12:32 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Northampton County)

Thanks, my hunch was correct.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I am sure they perceive themselves as neutral, and can probably point to someone else as being more anti-gun to rationalize their position

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    The words "gun violence" in the name is a dead giveaway that they are LYING about being neutral.

This. 100%.

Guns are a tool. People decide whether to use tools for good or evil. There is no legitimate reason to advocate for a reduction in gun violence specifically, over knife violence, hands and feet violence, hammer violence, baseball bat violence, tire iron violence, etc. unless you have an anti-gun agenda.

I wonder why they didn't create the Knife, Hands and Feet, Hammer, Baseball Bat, Tire Iron Violence Survivors Foundation (KH&FHBBTIVSF) ? If the name was too long, then they could have just made it about all violence, no?
    I am not a lawyer.

(Erie County)

Good job in doing your homework.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

My take as well.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

Interesting that they're using an event that utilizes gun violence amongst children to promote their anti-gun violence message.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Just send your son into battle wearing a great pro-2A shirt.

They'll reveal themselves real quick if they're anti's.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast