Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default More freaking out about firearms businesses close to schools

From here: https://medium.com/swlh/what-happene...0-1eabec120c53

One day, I was surfing around Google Maps, seeing how long it would take us to get from here to there locally, when I noticed something that immediately sent my heart rate sky high. A block from my house, and a little more than a block away from where my children attend fourth grade, there was a business tag on a house (ON A HOUSE!) that said [name of gun-based business].

Did I read that right?

My kids walk home from school every day and, unbeknownst to me, they were walking past a gun shop. Did other parents know about this? It seems like something that would be incredibly important to know.

I sat on this information for a few weeks, not really knowing what to do with it. In hindsight, I may have been in denial, thinking we could just go on, business as usual. But I discovered something about myself in 2019. After years of keeping quiet, being the good little suburban mommy, I discovered that if I don’t speak up, I feel like I’m disintegrating. I literally feel like I’m disintegrating. The knowledge I uncovered on my Google Maps search gnawed at me. Still, I had to do my research.

The only research I could really do was to visit the website of [name of gun-based business]. The top of the page was all about getting your guns engraved, which struck me as odd. Engraved guns? Must be a part of the culture. I asked my husband about this (he’s a country boy who’s been around guns his whole life) and these are his exact words: “It’s like getting a tattoo on your dick. It’s stupid.” But that’s neither here nor there.

Additionally, it seems transfers of ownership are also performed at this location. I scrolled further down the website and saw that you could also get a custom holster the size of a cupcake. Yum!

Then we got to the real shit: Complete Handgun $175, Complete Revolver $200, Complete AR $450+. Whether they are selling, buying, or rubbing them in oil and putting them up their bums really makes no difference to me. We are less than 1,000 feet from an elementary school. A place where hundreds of parents send their precious little lives every day, trusting they’ll be safe. A place where 5-year-olds and 6-year-olds have to participate in lock-down drills just in case someone comes in, or drives by when the kids are out at recess, carrying a newly-engraved or newly-transferred AR and does the unthinkable.

Anyway, I’d been speaking up lately about climate change and healthcare, I’d even begun a run for a local office that required me overcoming intense social anxiety to knock on doors and collect signatures of people I didn’t know so I could get on the ballot. Additionally, I was attending social events and forcing myself to be way more outgoing than I had theretofore felt comfortable with. I knew the time had come.

I was literally shaking — as I’m shaking while typing this — when I pulled up the map on my computer and screen-shotted the area close to our school. I added a red circle around our elementary school and a red circle around the home where the gun shop is located, and made a notation that it was 0.2 miles away from the school. I then took a deep breath and posted it to our school PTC’s Facebook page (258 members) with the caption: “Does it terrify anyone else that someone’s running a gun shop out of their home 0.2 miles away from where our children go to school? Does anyone know if there are rules about how far away they have to be?”

At this point, I started wondering why the business owner was commenting on a post on our school PTC’s FB page. Well, it turns out that one of the families that attends the school is the family that lives in the house that deals with the guns. This was a complete shock to me. Never in a million years did I think that someone with children in this day of mass shootings would have such poor judgment and would care so little about the safety of children as to have a gun-based business within 1,000 feet of an elementary school.

Apparently I was wrong.

There’s a place for this type of business — a residential neighborhood near a school is not that place. Until the laws are changed to reflect the concern most moms feel for their children regarding gun safety, it seems we just have to live with putting our children’s lives in danger as they head off to school every day. Poor judgment that puts our children’s safety at risk is perfectly legal in America.
    Author seems to have a very distorted view of reality.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: More freaking out about firearms businesses close to schools

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    From here: https://medium.com/swlh/what-happene...0-1eabec120c53

Author seems to have a very distorted view of reality.

They all do.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Damnit where this Facebook post?

"sent my heart rate sky high", unfortunately not high enough.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Sounds like she would rather have pedos in her neighborhood than a gun shop:

I got some responses that they didn’t have any problem whatsoever with a legitimate businessman doing business, some responses that they were more scared of the pedophiles in the area (yeah, those drive-by pedophiles really freak me out!)

(Washington County)

99% of those comments pound this snowflake about her article. They are a good read.

https://medium.com/p/1eabec120c53/responses/show
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Those comments are good.

You can go to her candidate page and leave comments.

https://www.facebook.com/JD4DuPage4/...87956032605892

(Lancaster County)

Why is the magic number 1000'? I've always wondered that.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

And where is Dupage county?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Philadelphia County)

Until she spotted the business on the map she never knew it was there and everything was fine. There was never any incident at the business to cause any alarm and everything was fine.

Now all of a sudden, everything is not fine. Go figure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast