Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Loading silver bullets... Yes, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Wrong supernatural creature. Werewolves are affected by silver. You need wooden bullets to stop a vamp.
    Not to get too far off topic but in some vampire lore silver affects vampires and not just werewolves.

In other news I’ve asked for more information on the silver heads he has, how they were made, diameter, weight, etc.

(Schuylkill County)

Was his name Clayton Moore or perhaps Jay Silverheels?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Small amounts of silver are used to harden lead soldering alloys.
    Silver by itself is very soft. Alloying, or adding various metals together, usually strengthens the final product because of the different sizes of the various atoms. Without getting into too much detail, those different sizes induce a strain on the typically orderly crystalline arrangements of metal atoms, and strains on the atomic level hold energy, which take energy to break, leaving a stronger finished product.

If anyone would like a deeper dive into HCP, FCC, interstitial locations, etc. I would be happy to discuss
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Blair County)

Silver is soft, watch pressure and speed I would assume both of these will be an issue if fired.

(Montgomery County)

He’s told me they are machined and .357 outside diameter. Seeing as .38 spec/.357 mag are normally .358 in diameter I figure if you ever did shoot them accuracy wouldn’t be good since you’d have a poor gas seal and may not engage rifling very well.

(Bucks County)

0.357 is correct for .38/.357. 95% of the jacketed bullets sold are sized that diameter. For cast most people size .358 but it is more firearm dependent and you need to slug your bore before you know.

Unless your barrel is way oversized I doubt you will see any difference in accuracy with a handgun. A bigger problem in revolvers is when the forcing cone or the cylinder throat is tight and it swages the bullet down before it hits the barrel. Try pushing one of your bullets thru an empty chamber. I bet it won't easily go thru.

(Chester County)

Sterling silver is 92.5% silver the rest 7.5% is usually copper to strengthen the silver. Most silver jewelry is sterling silver.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    0.357 is correct for .38/.357. 95% of the jacketed bullets sold are sized that diameter. For cast most people size .358 but it is more firearm dependent and you need to slug your bore before you know.

Unless your barrel is way oversized I doubt you will see any difference in accuracy with a handgun. A bigger problem in revolvers is when the forcing cone or the cylinder throat is tight and it swages the bullet down before it hits the barrel. Try pushing one of your bullets thru an empty chamber. I bet it won't easily go thru.
    Good to know. I usually load lead cast bullets for my own .357. 158 gr semi wadcutters usually but I have a bunch of round nose I need to use up. I get them from King Shooter’s Supply in King of Prussia and I measured some last night. They were .358. I have some semi jacketed HPs as well. Not sure of the brand. Left over from a while back when my father loaded them. I’ll have to check them out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Sterling silver is 92.5% silver the rest 7.5% is usually copper to strengthen the silver. Most silver jewelry is sterling silver.
    Right, I had read that. According to him they are pure, not sterling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123