Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Loading silver bullets... Yes, I know.

Well, copper is harder than silver and there seems to be little problem using it so I imagine it could be done. Oh, by the way, I believe that the silver must be from a melted-down blessed crucifix to work against a werewolf.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Doing some more research I found this: https://www.mgsrefining.com/blogs/tags/silver%20bullets
    And searching also shows lead with Brinnel hardness of 5 and silver is 24.5.
    Just to add the BHN of pure lead is 5. Casters add tin and antimony for desired hardness and effect.
    Pure linotype will cast out around 22 BHN.
    Took a gander over at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ and surprised to find discussions on it.
    This is one members page on it: https://sites.google.com/site/vwgsilverbullet/home
    Curious minds wanna know how much silver content is needed to kill a werewolf?
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Bucks County)

I had to step a way from the computer for a bit, but it looks like people are heading down the right direction.

https://www.jewelrynotes.com/the-moh...-is-important/

Silver, depending on the alloy is about the same or a little softer than brass and copper. Pure silver is about the softest you can get of any silver alloy. Machining it is probably the best way to get controllable weights and sizes, given how hard it is to cast pure metals.

So, after machining, I would make sure the bullets are annealed, since silver is a work-hardening metal. Simple process is to heat them up to just glowing in dim light. A light peach or salmon glow is sufficient. Then quench in water.

Once you've done that, if you can find loading data for solid brass or solid copper bullets, they should carry over to silver as well.

Larry Correia is very knowledgeable about firearms and in his fantasy books, when they need mass produced silver bullets, they use ammo that has balls of pure silver at the tips. Basically like pressing an insert into hollow point like a round nose polymer tipped ammo. That way you use normal loading data for the bullet weight and you are good to go. That is mainly for pistol rounds. Larger rifle round have a rod, rather than a ball, pressed into the bullet.

(Chester County)

Had the same problem with the Lone Ranger. I kept telling him........

He could just buy these... I'm not sure if they would work for werewolves. LOL

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    He could just buy these... I'm not sure if they would work for werewolves. LOL

I have some in various calibers I can sell you. I offer a 300% money back guarantee if they ever fail to kill a werewolf.

(Washington County)

Just have the guy buy you a cheap seater die as compensation for the loading work if you’re worried about damaging your die, but it sounds like you’re good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I had to step a way from the computer for a bit, but it looks like people are heading down the right direction.

https://www.jewelrynotes.com/the-moh...-is-important/

Silver, depending on the alloy is about the same or a little softer than brass and copper. Pure silver is about the softest you can get of any silver alloy. Machining it is probably the best way to get controllable weights and sizes, given how hard it is to cast pure metals.

So, after machining, I would make sure the bullets are annealed, since silver is a work-hardening metal. Simple process is to heat them up to just glowing in dim light. A light peach or salmon glow is sufficient. Then quench in water.

Once you've done that, if you can find loading data for solid brass or solid copper bullets, they should carry over to silver as well.

Larry Correia is very knowledgeable about firearms and in his fantasy books, when they need mass produced silver bullets, they use ammo that has balls of pure silver at the tips. Basically like pressing an insert into hollow point like a round nose polymer tipped ammo. That way you use normal loading data for the bullet weight and you are good to go. That is mainly for pistol rounds. Larger rifle round have a rod, rather than a ball, pressed into the bullet.
    The infamous , but now banned KTW ''armor-piercing'' or ''Cop Killer'' bullet , was originally turned from bronze with a tungsten insert and later ones were turned from 70-30 yellow brass. Both were much harder , and both had the green 'Teflon' coating to reduce friction in the barrel.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Blair County)

better be careful he might be thinking about taking out one of the undead looking dems

Quote Originally Posted by carrguy1 View Post
    Not if you get the vamp in the heart though.
    Wrong supernatural creature. Werewolves are affected by silver. You need wooden bullets to stop a vamp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast