Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Default Re: SEPA Milling Party?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    If your going to drill smaller, why not use an adjustable ream to size to pin?

A book on clock repair talked about swedging the holes to work harden the brass plate. Aluminum work hardens.
    Ever use an adjustable reamer? They SUCK! On-size reamers are available in .0001 increments and are not that expensive. Good adjustable reamers are very expensive and they SUCK!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by jkl56 View Post
    Are you sure your drill bit is sharp enough? I have not had to use very much downward pressure when drilling aluminum.
    BRAND NEW bits from 80 Percent Arms that they sell specifically for the Easy Jig.

They cut fine with the hand drill, probably just a case of Harbor Freight "quality'.

I'm in the middle of milling my second lower with the same bits, still cutting fine, with the drill and router.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Ever use an adjustable reamer? They SUCK! On-size reamers are available in .0001 increments and are not that expensive. Good adjustable reamers are very expensive and they SUCK!
    I have.

On a different note but in continuity with the thread I post this:

The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Delaware County)

I use reamers for my lowers. Or I drill *just undersized & use fine sandpaper to bring to regency fit. I do everything on my mill. I hate loose fitting pins, safety, etc.
    Remember Biden the Pedophile! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRqaO6DXcA

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Frequently. An adjustable reamer is a hand tool and should only be used to remove about .002-.005" (depending on hole diameter) while turning it with a tap handle/wrench. They work fine when used like that. But good ones (US made) are pretty darn expensive. The cheap import ones are usually pretty crappy.

(Erie County)

OK, I just ran through this thread and have a few things that might help. I purchased a 5DTactical pro jig last month. It took about a month to get the jig and accessory tool kit. I ordered the special end mill that screws directly to the router without using the collet. Tonight I milled a 80% lower using a DeWalt DWP611 1/4"router and it took me about 1 hour to finish. It came out pretty good for a first try. I would highly recommend the 5DTactical jig. It is a "no touch" jig, meaning that the end mill never comes in contact with the jig. The end mill has three short cutting flutes. I have $264.00 in the Jig and tool kit and an additional $134.00 in the router. I figure that it will cut at least 30+ lowers ( the end mill may have to be sharpened/replaced at some point). That would be about $14.00 per use if it were to be a group endeavor. If I can figure out how to post pics I will put up a couple.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    OK, I just ran through this thread and have a few things that might help. I purchased a 5DTactical pro jig last month. It took about a month to get the jig and accessory tool kit. I ordered the special end mill that screws directly to the router without using the collet. Tonight I milled a 80% lower using a DeWalt DWP611 1/4"router and it took me about 1 hour to finish. It came out pretty good for a first try. I would highly recommend the 5DTactical jig. It is a "no touch" jig, meaning that the end mill never comes in contact with the jig. The end mill has three short cutting flutes. I have $264.00 in the Jig and tool kit and an additional $134.00 in the router. I figure that it will cut at least 30+ lowers ( the end mill may have to be sharpened/replaced at some point). That would be about $14.00 per use if it were to be a group endeavor. If I can figure out how to post pics I will put up a couple.
    I believe that an hour is record time as this point. And if you made no errors on it even better, congrats.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Schuylkill County)

20170313_110947.jpg

My son and I visited Tactical Machine while in Florida for Bike Week a couple years ago. They gave us each 2 80% lowers. I really need to get started on them one of these days.
    Masters Degree from, School of Hardknocks and College of Common Sense

(Centre County)

I also have the 5D Tactical jig, used it yesterday to mill out two 80% lowers. Took about an hour and 15/20 minutes (each) to complete and clean up the work area where chips went if not sucked up by the vacuum you can attach to the jig. Now I have to do the abrasive blasting to get them ready to be Cerakoted.

Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

I just ordered the tooling needed and I'm going to learn the hard way of how bad it will go trying to use a 3D printed jig. Should be here 22nd and a picture of my poor idea posted the 25th.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast