Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: SEPA Milling Party?

Holy chit! That thing's complex compared to the jig I was using. I have to laugh when they say it does the job in minutes. X x Yminutes=minutes/60=hours.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Did you get the router or is that purchase still needed?
    I have a 2 1/2 HP router, but it will need the large base adapter to work. I'm going to be getting a special collet for it so I can use plain 5/16" end mills and not have to use the ones that have a turned down shaft to fit the 1/4" collets that the small base routers use. I just wanted to get the jig before ordering the large base.

Also, I've got a PM from someone who has access to several routers that use the small base so we don't have to wait on that. But it will need the small shaft end mills.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlish View Post
    Thats purdy, and I have a spare bit set for that too
    Sounds good. Looks like we are about ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Holy chit! That thing's complex compared to the jig I was using. I have to laugh when they say it does the job in minutes. X x Yminutes=minutes/60=hours.
    The routers tend to run spindle speeds in the 10K to 30K rpm range. That is a lot faster than most garage sized vertical mills. You can take a more aggressive cut with not as much side loading force. Material removal should be much faster.

Check out this instructions video from about 3:30 to 4:00 minutes in. Does that make it look more reasonable?

Also, with those spindle speeds, EYE PRO IS REQUIRED!

Would it be too late to get in on this?! I have an 80% anderson waiting to be milled, and my buddy and I just ordered two more raw aluminum lowers from tactical machining. By the way, their raw AL lowers are on sale right now for $29 plus (reasonable) shipping.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I have a 2 1/2 HP router, but it will need the large base adapter to work. I'm going to be getting a special collet for it so I can use plain 5/16" end mills and not have to use the ones that have a turned down shaft to fit the 1/4" collets that the small base routers use. I just wanted to get the jig before ordering the large base.

Also, I've got a PM from someone who has access to several routers that use the small base so we don't have to wait on that. But it will need the small shaft end mills.

Sounds good. Looks like we are about ready.

The routers tend to run spindle speeds in the 10K to 30K rpm range. That is a lot faster than most garage sized vertical mills. You can take a more aggressive cut with not as much side loading force. Material removal should be much faster.

Check out this instructions video from about 3:30 to 4:00 minutes in. Does that make it look more reasonable?

Also, with those spindle speeds, EYE PRO IS REQUIRED!
    It sounds like you've run some equipment so I'll ask you what you think. One thing that I see is that they are removing millings and aren't showing that to you, that takes time. I also think that they're doing a little time lapse there and it doesn't get done as quickly as they're claiming it does but hey, I've been wrong before. I hope it goes as quickly and smoothly as they show it but I'm skeptical by nature and will wait to hear how it goes.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Would it be too late to get in on this?! I have an 80% anderson waiting to be milled, and my buddy and I just ordered two more raw aluminum lowers from tactical machining. By the way, their raw AL lowers are on sale right now for $29 plus (reasonable) shipping.
    I could give one demonstration on how it's done on my equipment and I believe that someone is able to coach but not touch so you're not too late.

(Bucks County)

It sounds like you've run some equipment so I'll ask you what you think. One thing that I see is that they are removing millings and aren't showing that to you, that takes time. I also think that they're doing a little time lapse there and it doesn't get done as quickly as they're claiming it does but hey, I've been wrong before. I hope it goes as quickly and smoothly as they show it but I'm skeptical by nature and will wait to hear how it goes.
    They are clearly editing for time, but I don't think they've done much speeding up of the actual cutting video. As for removing chips, we could either set up a compressor air jet, or shop vac to clear chips while cutting, but it would be easier if we could have a second person handling that. I don't know if that is allowed or not. If not, I could probably make an adjustable stand to position the jet or hose.

As for the cutting oil, WD40 looks like what they are using. I don't know if there is a better option for this type of setting. Flood coolant would make it very easy, but I don't think the routers can handle it. I'll ask the tool room guys to see if they have a better suggestion.

When I get a chance, I'll show what happens to an end mill cutting aluminum that didn't have enough coolant/cutting oil and were running too aggressively without it.

But if we can change tool depth quickly, we can probably do one in under an hour. But that is just a guess. I won't be able to say for sure without trying it out and seeing how fast material removal really is.

(Berks County)

To use the shop vac we had to cease operations for a minute and blowing of the chips with an air compressor does blow some glitter around your shop.

(Bucks County)

To use the shop vac we had to cease operations for a minute and blowing of the chips with an air compressor does blow some glitter around your shop.
    Yep, it will do that. One of the required parts of my day job is cleaning up the chips.

(Bucks County)

This is an end mill that normally has no issue cutting aluminum. Coolant line got blocked by chips, and this was the result.

Also, got my router in from the garage. Looks to be in good shape, and depth adjustments should take less than 15 seconds each.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by t1066; February 24th, 2020 at 06:05 AM.

(Bucks County)

GRRGGGHHHH!!!!

I'm very unhappy with this jig at the moment. I was doing a test assembly and the forward take down pin wasn't fitting through.

Did some checking, and the hole in the jig for that position is 0.015" too close to the plate. You can't fit the lower in place without modifying the jig plate to give it room. I'll post a picture later today with arrows to show the problem. Fortunately, they sell replacement plates, so it shouldn't be a big deal for them to express out a replacement one.

I'm still happy with the design though, this is a quality control issue. Also, looking through the setup instructions again, the buffer location screw is hollow and designed to act as a shop vac hose mount.

Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast