Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Default Re: SEPA Milling Party?

While you could offer the space, I am now convinced that a "milling party" won't be much of a party.

I milled out my first one today, and it took about 5.5 hours and I didn't have any issues. 6 with cleanup.

Some tips/lessons learned:

*Tape over parts you do not scratched, it's worth the effort, but have Goo Gone because the glue from the tape will get heated up and gummy.
    *Don't bother with a drill press, unless it's a heavy duty one. I have a brand new, never before used 8" drill press...wouldn't cut through, I don't think you can get the leverage on a drill press handle that you can pressing down on a hand drill with your weight. I used an old CORDED Black & Decker drill, worked like a charm.
    *Lots of lube. Oil the bits and end mill every time it's out of the hole.
    *Don't drill too long without cleaning out the holes. I found a good tactic was drilling for 10 seconds, lift the bit out while still spinning to clear out the hole and go back in. Then after every 5 cycles, I'd stop and vacuum the entire receiver out, re-oil the bit and go for more. When I had holes fill with debris too much twice, the drill grabbed and nearly broke my wrist.
    *Take small passes with the router and you'll have an easy time and clean product.
    *Just take your time, vacuum after each pass to keep it clear and prevent a giant mess of shaving from piling up. Each hole I drilled covered the entire work bench so I can't imagine what your space would look like NOT vacuuming each pass.
    *Drilling was the bulk of the time, very time consuming, and required some muscle. Routing was very quick and effortless.

I also watched each step from this video before moving onto the next step:

I bought a backup receiver in case I messed up, but it went pretty much perfectly and my jig is unscathed, so I'll probably mill a second one next week.
    Psalms 73:26

(Berks County)

Looking good. Nice pictures.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Thanks!

Actually crappy pictures from the sun shining in the window but the inner wall i perfectly smooth, I'm surprised how well my first attempt turned out. The only flaw I see is that the trigger hole is slightly mis-shaped but it will work and no one will ever notice it but me.

NOW, I have to figure out if I need to coat the milled metal with a protective finish or leave raw. I am seeing conflicting opinions online. I'm thinking about getting some Duracoat spray and doing the inside and out, but then again, I'm easy to put the LPK in!

Anyone know if I really NEED to coat the inside?

It wont rust and if anything it will oxidize which actually makes it stronger from what I have read. I have seen raw 80%'s that were left that way once milled out and assembled into rifles without any issues after a few years. Once iI finished mine I was thinking about polishing one then giving it a clear coat so it shines.

That's what I've heard as well. It's just the inside, unseen.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627