Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: SEPA Milling Party?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Wow that looks extremely clean. So how hard would it be for someone with no machining experience to successfully us your set up?
    If your eye/hand co-ordination is decent, figure about 2-3 hours to finish one. The key thing is to not push the mill harder than it can easily cut. Extra passes at less than normal depth adjustment makes it even easier.

(Berks County)

Ate a pork sammich and passed out for a snooze after a long day at the shop. (Anything for more than two hours constitutes a long day for me ). t1066's setup was interesting and worked pretty good. We got two done on the lathe/mill but the jig is pretty cut up at this point and another top for it or another jig is needed. It seems like we can't do any of them perfectly and that kind of bugs me, something like this shouldn't be all that hard to get straight. I did one in two hours and I don't think I can knock much time off that. One thing that would definitely be better would be a 4" end mill with just a short length of flutes on the bottom of it, like 3/8" to 1/2", that's all you really need and that would speed things up a little as we wouldn't have to worry about it touching the jig.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Can you use brass bushings with the router so you don't tear up the jig? Also, are you letting the router spin down completely before you try to remove it from the jig?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have those brass bushings I use with my dove tail jig. I would think you could use something similar.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Can you use brass bushings with the router so you don't tear up the jig? Also, are you letting the router spin down completely before you try to remove it from the jig?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have those brass bushings I use with my dove tail jig. I would think you could use something similar.
    I don't know on that but this isn't the router, he didn't seem to have any trouble but he had a mill bit that was like I described.

I'd be interesting in attending on the weekends. I don't have a jig...but if someone is willing to loan me theirs along with router...I'll exchange it for my smoker. I can make pulled pork or something else on my smoker.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Ate a pork sammich and passed out for a snooze after a long day at the shop. (Anything for more than two hours constitutes a long day for me ). t1066's setup was interesting and worked pretty good. We got two done on the lathe/mill but the jig is pretty cut up at this point and another top for it or another jig is needed. It seems like we can't do any of them perfectly and that kind of bugs me, something like this shouldn't be all that hard to get straight. I did one in two hours and I don't think I can knock much time off that. One thing that would definitely be better would be a 4" end mill with just a short length of flutes on the bottom of it, like 3/8" to 1/2", that's all you really need and that would speed things up a little as we wouldn't have to worry about it touching the jig.
    You could take a dremel to the endmill and dull the flutes higher up to protect the jig

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    You could take a dremel to the endmill and dull the flutes higher up to protect the jig
    I did think about doing something like that. Could also stick it in the lathe and cut them back but they'd still be there and eventually would eat up the jig.

you could purchase a relieved end mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I did think about doing something like that. Could also stick it in the lathe and cut them back but they'd still be there and eventually would eat up the jig.
    If you had the equipment... you could make a fence that the outside of the router could ride against but it would only work with 1 router. Are you using mills like this one? https://www.americangunsmithtooling....rbide-end-mill

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    If you had the equipment... you could make a fence that the outside of the router could ride against but it would only work with 1 router. Are you using mills like this one? https://www.americangunsmithtooling....rbide-end-mill
    That was the mill I was using in the router. Works well.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast