Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the Glock

Default Re: What the Glock

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    I have the Rock Island Mapp CZ 75 clone in this caliber ,because I have a ton of CZ mags this caliber is just a blast to shoot. What I want is a 10.5 inch Ar setup to run this caliber in.
    The AR Guy will build you a 22TCM upper in whatever barrel length you want.

(Dauphin County)

Not exactly related, but if CMMG can sell Banshee parts in 5.7x28 (barrel and bolt group), perhaps they could be persuaded to offer a parts kit in .22tcm with enough emails...
    Here's the link to the 5.7x28- https://cmmginc.com/product/barrel-a...ription-anchor
    The rotating locking bolt delayed blowback design of the banshee would be perfect for the .22TCM or 9R. The hard part would be feeding it, and at this point we might be stuck with 9R out of a Glock 17 magazine and a pistol lower. I wouldn't mind that setup if I could get the right projectiles for reloading 9R.

(Cumberland County)

Bummed. Took my G17 with 22 tcm9r conversion and bad day 75% of the rounds were light strikes and didn't go boom. Some fired, but most had off center light strikes and wouldn't fire. Any thoughts? The G17 I used was a PD trade, but it didn't have issues with 9mm? Going to put the barrel and recoil spring in another G17 soon and see what happens.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Bummed. Took my G17 with 22 tcm9r conversion and bad day 75% of the rounds were light strikes and didn't go boom. Some fired, but most had off center light strikes and wouldn't fire. Any thoughts? The G17 I used was a PD trade, but it didn't have issues with 9mm? Going to put the barrel and recoil spring in another G17 soon and see what happens.

There's a private Facebook group called 22 TCM KREW that may be able to offer advice. You just need to request access.

(Bucks County)

If you get the issues resolved, I have some ammo and a conversion bbl I had issues with cheap, pm for details.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Dauphin County)

On Sunday, the sun and moon aligned with the third house of Sagittarius... And I finally got a chance to get to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds- many of those with the .22TCM9R conversion barrel on my G17. I had a few failures, about 4 in 100 rounds, and the slide seemed to return to battery with less than normal momentum most of the time. This would set up a situation for light strikes and (mostly FTE) jams.

I was thinking about getting a lightened aftermarket slide. The original .22TCM9R conversion kits included a slide with several lightening cuts. At the moment, it is easier to get a lightened slide than a standard looking one. Normally I don't like the idea of having a bunch of holes in the slide, but this time I may have to try one myself.

(Cumberland County)

Good though. Might take the slide off my 80% to try - it's an aftermarket with lightning cuts. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post
    On Sunday, the sun and moon aligned with the third house of Sagittarius... And I finally got a chance to get to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds- many of those with the .22TCM9R conversion barrel on my G17. I had a few failures, about 4 in 100 rounds, and the slide seemed to return to battery with less than normal momentum most of the time. This would set up a situation for light strikes and (mostly FTE) jams.

I was thinking about getting a lightened aftermarket slide. The original .22TCM9R conversion kits included a slide with several lightening cuts. At the moment, it is easier to get a lightened slide than a standard looking one. Normally I don't like the idea of having a bunch of holes in the slide, but this time I may have to try one myself.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Dauphin County)

The ammo supply warehouse finally had some 39gr projectiles for the .22 TCM9R, so I had to order a thousand. I'm looking forward to reloading for this cartridge, specifically for speed.

(Dauphin County)

Time to catch up! Over a year ago I built slide assembly for the .22TCM9R, and have been getting mixed results. My worked up reloads carefully using HS-6, but the sweet spot is hard to get; either the rounds don't want to cycle the action, or a few tenths of grains you start to get stuck casings. The stuck casings are a real pain, because I don't usually carry a short section of cleaning rod to act as a ram rod.

I then came up with the idea to polish the chamber to keep the casings from sticking. I was wrong- after that EVERY casing stuck. I then got a few boxes of factory ammo, and still had every case stick. I decided to wait this one out, and maybe fix this problem later. My pistol still functioned fine with the 9mm barrel and stock recoil spring in place of the TCM barrel and spring.

A few weeks ago I had a crazy idea- the 5.7x28mm cartridges were polymer coated so they would function in the FN FiveseveN pistol. Why didn't they function in the FiveseveN? They would stick. I remember the feel of the empty brass my FN PS-90 made, the polymer coat meant I couldn't tumble it to clean the empties- you had to use Windex and water to clean them. The polymer could be felt if you squeezed the casing with your fingernails.

Why not apply this idea to the .22TCM? I ordered a spray can of dry film Teflon lubricant off of Amazon, and sprayed 50 rounds of factory ammunition with it. I used two coats of the polymer spray. After they dried, the cartridges felt a little slippy to the touch, but not sticky. The nickle plated casings looked a little satiny instead of shiny.

Of course, the weather didn't help and I had to wait two weeks before I could get to the range.

The results were spectacular! I ran through a box of factory ammo without any hiccups at all. The TCM was it's original, fun self- all bark and no bite! A big flash, with little recoil. Accuracy was just as good as it was before I made the mistake of polishing the chamber. The reliability was so good I wish I would have sprayed a couple hundred rounds instead of just a box of 50. I could have shot them all right then with less time than it would have taken to load the magazines. I even used Magpul 15rd G19 magazines, which are known to be finicky.

The next plans are to just spray the next box of 50 with just one coat of Teflon instead of two, and see if I can keep the same results of 0% failures. I'm going to proceed carefully, to see how much gunk gets left in the chamber and if effects reliability or not. I also don't want the lack of friction make the pistol malfunction in a catastrophic way, either. After that I'll coat to whatever thickness keeps the pistol running well.

The retrieved empty casings have shown no signs of abnormal wear for this cartridge- no bulges by the rim or flattened primers. Not to say that the TCM cartridge has no wear in normal use; I usually have split casing necks that ruin the chance for reloading in several casings out of a box of 100. I believe that is the nature of this cartridge- it was created by hard drawing the neck into cut down 5.56 casings. Even if the brass was annealed, I think you would still have these problems because other reloaders have mentioned a loss rate of 1 or 2 casings per 100 when they make their own brass from 5.56 Nato.

I am excited about this cartridge again, renewing the desire for a rifle, carbine, or braced pistol in this caliber.

(Susquehanna County)

Sorry if this was previously covered and I missed it.m, but what are the benefits of having this caliber? It looks cool and fun, but does it give you a ballistic advantage, more accuracy… just curious what the appeal is. Thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast