Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I want To start reloading, but have no clue as to where to start

As the topic says i am very intrested in reloading, i want to start out small. I know my father has a press (its just a single press i think) and a couple sets of dies. He said i can have them. Just not sure where to go from there. Sites, books, is there anything you guys can recconmend to me.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I want To start reloading, but have no clue as to where to start

Start with reading.

ABC's of Reloading

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee

are two good books to start with.
    Also search this forum reloading section. There is lots of good information here.

But start by reading at least those two books if not a couple more reloading manuals. They will give you a very good understanding of what you are about to get into.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Washington County)

I second Koli. Reading is fundamental. Reloading isn't difficult, but you want to make sure you're doing everything right. blowing up a gun because you didn't know what you were doing would be a bad thing.

Modern Reloading by Lee is an excellent start. Obviously he leans towards his products, but the theory applies to any type of press.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

i just started reloading pistol shells about one week ago, just blew up my primer feeder tube. almost put the plastic primer tube rod through the ceiling. and a couple burns on the forearm thats all. all i have to say is wear safety glasses...damn, i love this hobby.

(Northampton County)

Before my cousin would even show me his reloader I had to read a book he gave to me about reloading. Read, learn what the parts are called and how they function. If you know someone that has reloading experience, see if you can get that person to help you, after you have read. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    Start with reading.

ABC's of Reloading

Modern Reloading by Richard Lee

are two good books to start with.
    Also search this forum reloading section. There is lots of good information here.

But start by reading at least those two books if not a couple more reloading manuals. They will give you a very good understanding of what you are about to get into.
    What he said. you could also look on you tube for some demo's.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Read a book... I would add the Lyman reloding manual. All of them are good for starting. Remember, it's a hobby that will hurt you if you do something wrong. Always think "Safety".

(Allegheny County)

Yes, definitly start with books.
    The internet has a lot of good information but there is also some bad information out there. The books will not steer you wrong as they tend to lean toward the side of safety. Once you get a grasp of what is going on, then it may be safe to search out information on the 'net.

wv: my grandma grew up in Phillipi, WV. many years ago we took her down there to see it and she said she thought she lived over there......it was a coal or slag pile or something. lol
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Monroe County)

I will certainly second the recommendation on ABC's of Reloading. That was the first book I read also. The other recommendation I have is find someone to mentor you a little. I know when I started, I would have loved to have someone there to ask questions and to watch and learn. It is one thing to read and another to see and touch. I notice you're not too far away, if you need any pointers or want to see stuff in action, reach out for me and i'll try to give you a hand. Reloading is not hard, but just like anything new, it can be a bit confusing if you don't know where to look for some of the answers...

later,
    AJ

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    ...just blew up my primer feeder tube. almost put the plastic primer tube rod through the ceiling...
    Can I know the details, so that I don't do the same thing?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast