Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Shot Show 2020.

Default Re: Shot Show 2020.

I typically don't care for ZEV slide designers but this Ed Brown 1911 just looks freaking cool.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post

https://www.brownells.com/guntech/ww....htm?lid=17958

Brownells with InRange and KE Arms seemed to release all of the details on the WWSD 2020 rifle and new Mk3 Polymer Lower. I'm not so much interested in the rifle, but I've been wanting one of the lowers.

I know EmptyMag was a long time user of the old CavArms/GWACS lowers, and I was quite impressed when I handled one of his builds.
    OMG! It's finally happening!!!
    I just checked the GWACS Aromry website again a few weeks ago.
    Looks like they reshaped the grip to a more "AR" shape and the magwell flare is new.
    I know that undercutting the trigger guard was a popular custom job on the old ones - can't tell if that was incorporated.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod132660.aspx

You save a penny!

It is a bit of a bummer that they don't have an option for the PDQ cutout on the stripped lowers.
    SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
    I WAS DONE building rifles... OMG OMG OMG... I'm so happy... I can NOT BELIEVE that price!!!

I paid $80 or $89 for mine on clearance from Rainier Arms. They were always much more directly from GWACS Armory.

That lower is PERFECT on my 7.62x9 carbine - rock solid and lightens the gun up notably.
    After building my wife her lightweight pencil barrel carbine with one of these, I said I would love to build a clone for myself, but then these lowers went "extinct".

Anyone on the fence should get one of these lowers. I'm almost willing to say that if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.
    I'm sitting here thinking, "Should I retrofit my existing carbines with these???" LOL

Oh, I'm so happy I finally started looking at this thread.
    Last edited by Emptymag; January 25th, 2020 at 01:08 AM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    OMG! It's finally happening!!!
    I just checked the GWACS Aromry website again a few weeks ago.
    Looks like they reshaped the grip to a more "AR" shape and the magwell flare is new.
    I know that undercutting the trigger guard was a popular custom job on the old ones - can't tell if that was incorporated.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
    I WAS DONE building rifles... OMG OMG OMG... I'm so happy... I can NOT BELIEVE that price!!!

I paid $80 or $89 for mine on clearance from Rainier Arms. They were always much more directly from GWACS Armory.

That lower is PERFECT on my 7.62x9 carbine - rock solid and lightens the gun up notably.
    After building my wife her lightweight pencil barrel carbine with one of these, I said I would love to build a clone for myself, but then these lowers went "extinct".

Anyone on the fence should get one of these lowers. I'm almost willing to say that if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.
    I'm sitting here thinking, "Should I retrofit my existing carbines with these???" LOL

Oh, I'm so happy I finally started looking at this thread.
    The WWSD rifle basically is just a super light weight AR, it shouldn't be all that hard to duplicate if you're diligent enough to get the parts when they're in stock.

(Berks County)

Never been to SHOT. Likely will never be eligible to attend. But by vicariously living through the attendance of others, I see:

WINS:

HK SP5 is not limited production and will continue to be imported.
    FB Mini Beryl in pistols form. Can you say Mini Beryl SBR?

LOSSES:
    Ever expanding useless AR accessories and uber expensive esoteric AR variants. (raxar makes a great point above.)
    Ever expanding tacticooled variants of existing designs.
    PSA MP5 clone. Feeble attempt with roller lock basics dressed up in Magpul to convert AR owners.
    A few PSA AK variants designed to mimic some older 'preban' rifles. 100% US made. When has that ever worked well for mass production?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Here's the new PSA PS9 Dagger pistol.

Looks like you get a lot in the base pistol for a $299.99 MSRP, and $350.00 for a threaded model cut for an RMR which is excellent.

100 bucks for a lower....hmmm. If it is assembled fully and works with a Glock Gen3 complete upper...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The WWSD rifle basically is just a super light weight AR, it shouldn't be all that hard to duplicate if you're diligent enough to get the parts when they're in stock.
    I think Emptymag has a thread on that... IN PURPLE!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    Never been to SHOT. Likely will never be eligible to attend. But by vicariously living through the attendance of others, I see:

WINS:

HK SP5 is not limited production and will continue to be imported.
    FB Mini Beryl in pistols form. Can you say Mini Beryl SBR?

LOSSES:
    Ever expanding useless AR accessories and uber expensive esoteric AR variants. (raxar makes a great point above.)
    Ever expanding tacticooled variants of existing designs.
    PSA MP5 clone. Feeble attempt with roller lock basics dressed up in Magpul to convert AR owners.
    A few PSA AK variants designed to mimic some older 'preban' rifles. 100% US made. When has that ever worked well for mass production?
    I disagree with just about everything you say. Regarding PSA the current line of PSA AK’s have been kicking serious ass for quite sometime now and they continue to expand their overall manufacturing in huge ways as compared to most other manufacturers out there who are just trying to stay afloat all while offering fair priced products people actually want.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 25th, 2020 at 12:21 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    OR the WWSD rifle basically is just a super expensive copy of MY super light weight AR!!!
    LOL!

And yes, anyone can put together a pretty similar version of the WWSD rifle - the two key elements (biggest weight-saving measures) are the polymer lower and the Faxon pencil barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I think Emptymag has a thread on that... IN PURPLE!
    Ha! I was trying to post a reply to the above, but my laptop keeps disconnecting from the web when I take more than 30 seconds to post something.

I looked it up, and while my finished lightweight build and the original WWSD rifle emerged within a few months of each other (2017), I ordered the GWACS Armory lower in 2015 with the intent to build exactly that - a lightweight rifle.

Here's the thread for my wife's purple build.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=320603
    I don't have the money for carbon fiber and high end triggers, but I did pony up for a Faxon pencil barrel, a low mass/lightweight BCG, and a unique, super-lightweight buffer.

It may take me another year or two to gather the parts, but now that these polymer powers are being produced again, I WILL build a lightweight carbine for ME too!

Last edited by Emptymag; January 25th, 2020 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    OR the WWSD rifle basically is just a super expensive copy of MY super light weight AR!!!
    LOL!

Ha! I was trying to post a reply to the above, but my laptop keeps disconnecting from the web when I take more than 30 seconds to post something.

I looked it up, and while my finished lightweight build and the original WWSD rifle emerged within a few months of each other (2017), I ordered the GWACS Armory lower in 2015 with the intent to build exactly that - a lightweight rifle.

Here's the thread for my wife's purple build.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=320603
    I don't have the money for carbon fiber and high end triggers, but I did pony up for a Faxon pencil barrel, a low mass/lightweight BCG, and a unique, super-lightweight buffer.

It may take me another year or two to gather the parts, but now that these polymer powers are being produced again, I WILL build a lightweight carbine for ME too!
    Their rifles will be priced somewhere around $1600.00 which isn’t out of line for the items they chose to use. If one were to source the same on their own you probably would pay more.

It was also about finding long term durability for them using the best of what’s on the market today in field or competition which they did with well over 5k rounds through each of theirs the last I saw.

Lots of light weight parts out there many don’t hold up since they took the weight out of the wrong places. If I had the funds I would get in on the pre order since I would have practical use for it but it’s not likely to happen.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 25th, 2020 at 12:23 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Their rifles will be priced somewhere around $1600.00 which isn’t out of line for the items they chose to use. If one were to source the same on their own you probably would pay more.

It was also about finding long term durability for them in competition which they did with well over 5k rounds through each of theirs.

Lots of light weight parts out there many don’t hold up since they took the weight out of the wrong places. If I had the funds I would get in on the pre order since I would have practical use for it but it’s not likely to happen.
    Absolutely. You get what you pay the and I don't think their WWSD rifle is priced way out of line at all.
    That said, you don't need to buy THAT 2020 WWSD carbine to get a really lightweight, quality gun.
    You WILL pay more than a basic M4, because the barrel can't be had cheap, but that Faxon barrel is THE best value in quality when seeking super-light barrels. (I saw the test they did comparing it to the Ballistic Advantage pencil barrel)

I could have gotten my weight down further by throwing more money into titanium parts, but in the end, I've never handed it to anyone who has said, "Eh, it's a little lighter than my AR" - the response is always various versions of "Wow, that's LIGHT."

I don't think a TON of people are going to run out and buy these lowers. Partly because the design isn't for everyone with no adjustable stock, or way to change grips, but also because people just don't know what they don't know - they think polymer, and they think "junk".
    That's OK... I'm super excited by this news. For me, it's the most exciting thing I've seen from SHOT because all that other stuff is beyond my reach. THIS is what I've been waiting for!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast