Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Best over under for casual clay shooting

Hi All,

As of late I’ve been enjoying sporting clays about once a month or so. Been eyeing up a few over unders and wanted everyone’s opinions. I’ll probably be shooting abkut 100-150 shells a month. Maybe 200 on a good month. Although I would love getting a browning Cynergy I currently can’t rationalize going that much. Any suggestions going off of my shooting amounts for an over under that won’t break the bank?Was currently looking at the Stevens 555 enhanced, cz teal, or at the highest price point a franchi instinct. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Best over under for casual clay shooting

Best advise I can give is to at minimum find and shoulder each gun, see how they feel, then research model you like best. I went from a Mossberg 930 to a Browning citori and don't know if the $1800 Browning is 6 times better than my $300 mossberg

(Chester County)

Thanks for the input. I shouldered a savage 555 enhanced today and it felt insanely good. I’ve read stories about double firing though so it had me concerned. I would love a browning I just can’t come to fork out the money at this point in my life just yet.

I have a Stoeger Condor Supreme that I like.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by rellisonii View Post
    Best advise I can give is to at minimum find and shoulder each gun, see how they feel, then research model you like best. I went from a Mossberg 930 to a Browning citori and don't know if the $1800 Browning is 6 times better than my $300 mossberg
    This is great advice. I can hit the broad side of a barn with my buddy's Browning, but not much better. Put me behind my Mossberg 500 and I'm breaking clays all day long.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Chester County)

Appreciate all the input. I shouldered a cz teal at cabelas today and really liked it. Really liked the Stevens 555 as well but unfortunately have read a lot of stories about them double firing.

(Centre County)

You might also consider a Tristar O/U, I just transferred the 6th one that has come through the shop. Fit and finish are very good, wood is very good. IIRC they are made in Turkey and I have not heard of any problems from any of my customers who bought one.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    You might also consider a Tristar O/U, I just transferred the 6th one that has come through the shop. Fit and finish are very good, wood is very good. IIRC they are made in Turkey and I have not heard of any problems from any of my customers who bought one.
    I had one about 10 years ago that was awful, maybe they've improved since then. Mine would only fire about 20% of the time that the trigger was pulled. Took it to a gunsmith and it improved, but still wasn't 100% reliable.

IMO you're taking a gamble on most any sub $1,500 O/U, most of which are made in Turkey. I would try like hell to find a Browning or Beretta on sale or used. My last resort would be a Franchi or CZ.

(Chester County)

Appreciate all the input. I am starting to look at the browning cynergy cx. A bit more than what I wanted to spend however it’s a firearm a potentially could keep forever. The cabelas near me has a ton of over under shotguns so I think I’ll be bugging the guy behind the counter for some time and shouldering them all. On the low end I’m looking at the cz teal (redhead premier) and the absolute high end for me would be the browning cynergy. Possibly with the franchi in the middle.

(Allegheny County)

Some sage advice...

Been down this road 12 years ago.

I started off in trap with a Stoeger Condor ($300). Typically shooting 20-21 birds. Only after people poo-pooed me for a year for using a Stoeger, I bought a used BT99 Single shot Trap gun ($1200) and sold the Stoeger. On average I only broke maybe 1 more bird. I shot that for another year.

Then some friends started shooting Skeet, so in order for me to participate, I bought a Browning XT O/U ($2,600) to use for both trap and skeet and sold the BT99. In trap I started breaking 23-24's, kind of sucked in skeet (whole different game and the XT is not really the right shotgun for Skeet)

After another year I lost interest in Trap all together and only shot Skeet. Since the Browning XT wasn't really the right shotgun for Skeet (barrel too long and too heavy to swing), I sold it and bought a used Remington 1100 ($300). I still shoot the 1100 today for Skeet and on rare occasion Trap. I don't shoot often enough anymore to shoot very well, but in Trap I can still break 22-23's with the 1100 and my Skeet score has never progressed past the low 20's.

Moral of the story...when it comes to shooting well "it's not the bow, its the Indian". Don't listen to anyone if they poo-poo your gun, if you shoot it well, it doesn't matter if its only $300 shotgun. It's very common for people to throw money at a gun expecting it to make them shoot better scores. Start off slow, don't spend the cash on an expensive shotgun at the start. After a few years, if you're still shooting, then decide if a better gun is worth it. If you stop shooting, then you've only spent $300 on a gun.
    Last edited by Hawk; January 23rd, 2020 at 01:13 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast