Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PICS denial

(Delaware County)

Default PICS denial

Hi everyone. This is my first post and I am a new member here. last Saturday i won a pistol via raffle. I was denied. Even with my SSN on the 4473. Heres the thing though. I have successfully purchased and transferred a dozen or so firearms in in the past 7 years with most recent being Aug 1st. I have a LTCF. There is nothing on my ciminal record tha prevents me from my 2nd amendment right in the state of Pennsylvania. I have had a traffic ticket in the past few months. I forgot to renew my registration. My court date for that is March 3rd. Also i am a Jr. With my father not being allowed a firearm because of his dodgy past. How long does an appeal like this take? I submitted the SP4-197 via mail today.
    Last edited by Ronnie857; February 4th, 2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

(Bucks County)

Default Re: PICS denial

Let me guess. You live in Philly.

I suggest contacting a lawyer that specializes in this.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by steve_010 View Post
    Let me guess. You live in Philly.
    I suggest contacting a lawyer that specializes in this.
    I reside in delco. I have contacted two lawyers but havent received a response as of yet. The ffl didnt even receive a transaction number. They just kicked the call. So i dont have that number

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie857 View Post
    I reside in delco. I have contacted two lawyers but havent received a response as of yet. The ffl didnt even receive a transaction number. They just kicked the call. So i dont have that number
    Are you sure you were really denied by pics? Could it be a shady FFL that doesnt want to lose a pistol to a raffle winner?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    Are you sure you were really denied by pics? Could it be a shady FFL that doesnt want to lose a pistol to a raffle winner?
    If thats the case i will find out either way. I highly doubt it though lol. He is a reputable guy. The ffl is is his side buisness with his full time gig being an LEO.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Royinmontco View Post
    That pistol should have already been contracted to be paid for by the people putting on the raffle, so the FFL's not losing anything. Also check the raffle, most have something in case a person does get denied (cash equivalent, substitute prize, etc.)

I hope you gave as much information on the challenge form about the differences between you and your dad, the more info you can provide them the better. If it comes back overturned (approved) they may also provide you with a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) that you will use in any future firearms purchases. If they do not give you one, I would suggest asking for it (since it happened once, it can happen again).

If it comes back upheld (denied) they may (should) tell you how to provide any other information that will be relevant to your case. If they don't, then it would probably be time to hire a lawyer who is versed in PA firearms laws. I think that if you gave them good info on the challenge form, it should come back approved.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; January 20th, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Phil Kline AKA gunlawyer

(215) 538-4444

FYI it is very possible they still flagged you because of your name if you are 100% positive you are good to go file a pics challenge asap you only have 30 days from the date of the denial to do so . The gun shop should have also discussed the denial and the challenge form with you as well if they did not then it sounds like something is not right. I'm not saying it is or isn't but seems strange to me. Gun shop won't know why your denied they just know you are.

here's the relevant information for the pics denial

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...em---PICS.aspx

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    That pistol should have already been contracted to be paid for by the people putting on the raffle, so the FFL's not losing anything. Also check the raffle, most have something in case a person does get denied (cash equivalent, substitute prize, etc.)

I hope you gave as much information on the challenge form about the differences between you and your dad, the more info you can provide them the better. If it comes back overturned (approved) they may also provide you with a UPIN (Unique Personal Identification Number) that you will use in any future firearms purchases. If they do not give you one, I would suggest asking for it (since it happened once, it can happen again).

If it comes back upheld (denied) they may (should) tell you how to provide any other information that will be relevant to your case. If they don't, then it would probably be time to hire a lawyer who is versed in PA firearms laws. I think that if you gave them good info on the challenge form, it should come back approved.
    The challenge form is the exact info the 4473 asked. The raffle was actually held by the ffl himself. He said if it didnt clear he would cash me out on the firearm.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    Phil Kline AKA gunlawyer

(215) 538-4444

FYI it is very possible they still flagged you because of your name if you are 100% positive you are good to go file a pics challenge asap you only have 30 days from the date of the denial to do so . The gun shop should have also discussed the denial and the challenge form with you as well if they did not then it sounds like something is not right. I'm not saying it is or isn't but seems strange to me. Gun shop won't know why your denied they just know you are.

here's the relevant information for the pics denial

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-info...em---PICS.aspx
    The ffl did provide the SP4-197 challenge form. I sent that off this morning. I also shot Phil and left a message for him just to get his opinion and cover all of my bases

(Lancaster County)

The ffl did provide the SP4-197 challenge form. I sent that off this morning. I also shot Phil and left a message for him just to get his opinion and cover all of my bases
    Phil is solid he's on here frequently as well but yes in regards to legal matters he will have you email him and call him directly and not discuss anything here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast