Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Looking to get into the NFA for the first time.

So i've been doing the research in preperations to purchase my first suppressor. Im very new at this, so please bear with me, if my terminology is off.

I've settled on the AAC TI-rant 9m. Its primarily for use on an 8" gen2 MPX pistol that I compete with from time to time, as well as a few M&P 9 pistols.

From the factory it comes with a 1/2 x 28 and a M13.5 x 1LH threaded piston.

Here is where I need some advice...

Since the MPX is a fixed barrel, will I need to purchase an additional M13.5 x1LH piston that is not part of a neilson device? As I understand it, I will need the suppressor to be static fit to the barrel, instead of spring tensioned like it would need to be if I were putting it on one of my M&Ps?

Lastly, would the transfer process be quicker if I purchased the suppresor from a PA dealer that currently has the can in stock? And if so, from whom would you buy it?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Looking to get into the NFA for the first time.

You’ll need the piston. You don’t need a second one if you can find a fixed barrel spacer or something named similarly for your suppressor. It’s basically a sleeve that you drop in in place of the spring on the piston and booster

(Berks County)

So I will use the m13.5 x1LH piston that comes with the can, and purchase a fixed barrel spacer to use with said piston?

(Lackawanna County)

(Washington County)

Yup that fixed barrel spacer is all you need and replaces the spring. Most expensive simple basic tube you will ever buy. Well other than an engagement ring.

(Westmoreland County)

Yep, these guys have given you perfect advice. I run a Rugged Obsidian 45 can on my MPX Gen 2 8 inch barrel. Have the 13.5x1 LH piston and fixed barrel spacer. The Fixed barrel spacer just replaces the spring on the outside of the piston for the MPX. I am actually now running an HK style 3-lug adapter on my MPX barrel and the 3-lug mount on the back of the can. Its a quick bayonet action to mount/remove the can from the MPX. Well, not so quick when it is hot.

Bought the 3-lug adapter in 13.5x1 LH to fit the MPX barrel. Now I can buy other 3-lug adapters and leave them on other guns that I will use that can on, like a 1/2x28 threaded 300 BLK bolt action that I shoot subsonic out of. Quick transfer between moounting on either barrel for whatever I want to shoot that day. Just to be clear, the 3-lug requires both the back of your suppressor and each barrel to have an adapter, so it can be a little spendy and is not super critical to run it that way, i just like toys.
    Last edited by VooDoo1VooDoo1; January 20th, 2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Update

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by VooDoo1VooDoo1 View Post
    Yep, these guys have given you perfect advice. I run a Rugged Obsidian 45 can on my MPX Gen 2 8 inch barrel. Have the 13.5x1 LH piston and fixed barrel spacer. The Fixed barrel spacer just replaces the spring on the outside of the piston for the MPX. I am actually now running an HK style 3-lug adapter on my MPX barrel and the 3-lug mount on the back of the can. Its a quick bayonet action to mount/remove the can from the MPX. Well, not so quick when it is hot.

Bought the 3-lug adapter in 13.5x1 LH to fit the MPX barrel. Now I can buy other 3-lug adapters and leave them on other guns that I will use that can on, like a 1/2x28 threaded 300 BLK bolt action that I shoot subsonic out of. Quick transfer between moounting on either barrel for whatever I want to shoot that day. Just to be clear, the 3-lug requires both the back of your suppressor and each barrel to have an adapter, so it can be a little spendy and is not super critical to run it that way, i just like toys.
    3 lug is also better because you don't have to worry about the threads backing off.

(Berks County)

Well thank you all very much! Not sure I'll need the tri-lug, as i dont plan on using this can on any other PCC/rifles.

Now, I've placed several calls around looking for one of these suppressors and cant seem to find one readily available for purchase. Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahadude427 View Post
    Well thank you all very much! Not sure I'll need the tri-lug, as i dont plan on using this can on any other PCC/rifles.

Now, I've placed several calls around looking for one of these suppressors and cant seem to find one readily available for purchase. Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction?
    Well, SHOT show is going on, and a lot of manufacturers release new items there for 2020. Suppressor makers seem to be really hesitant to build a lot of inventory. I usually start with Silencer Shop's page and see if there is a dealer near me that shows one in stock. I haven't bought through their kiosk yet, but it is a smooth way to get all your items needed done in one place (fingerprints done digitally, passport type photo, forms filled out electronically, etc) One of the biggest reasons for delays is forms that get kicked back if the buyer or shop fills out the forms incorrectly. Thats one reason I like buying from higher volume stores that can get Class III items.

(Westmoreland County)

The AAC Ti-Rant 9 is a good can, very popular, but there are others that are very comparable and might be a good substitution in stock. Unfortunately I do not believe you can submit any Forms until you have a serial number for the item, which means it has to be in hand at your dealer when you submit. I ended up with a Rugged Obsidian 45 (they also make an Obsidian 9) that is convertible to a shorter can by removing the last baffle and tube section. If I recall. at the end of 2018 when I bought the Obsidian, AAC had just blown out Ti-Rants with a rebate, or an extra accessory deal, they were nowhere to be found. I found the Obsidian and they had a deal with a few extra pistons, 3-lug adapter, fixed barrel spacer, etc.. All the accessories were free, to the tun eof about $300 worth of free extras.

I also found a Sig SRD45 that I bought too. Has the same ratings as the Obsidian, rated full auto, and for 9/45acp pistol calibers as well as 300BLK subsonic. I got a ridiculous deal when Gander Outdoors was closing a nearby store, I had to buy it. So that was my 4th suppressor purchase, you will wonder why every gun isn't sold with the means to be suppressed once you shoot one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast