Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question Heritage Rough Rider question(ammo related)

I wanna start off by saying I'm not completely new to shooting, but I never owned any firearms myself until recently. That said, my head is spinning with all this new information I suddenly have to learn and consider, especially when it comes to ammunition.

Now as far as I'm aware, because a revolver has fewer moving parts than any modern auto pistol, feeding obviously isn't an issue, so specific ammunition isn't as important to the specific gun, at least other than caliber. That said, I'm getting a Rough Rider with the .22WMR cylinder soon, and I have no idea what ammo I should buy or if it even really matters. The one I'm getting is the cheaper alloy-framed one, not the case-hardened one, if that matters.

What brand and specific type of ammo do you guys recommend, for both .22LR and .22WMR, specifically in this gun, and why? I mostly plan on just plinking targets with it for fun(I have a 20 gauge if needed for home defense), but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to have a good defensive round, should I ever need to use it for that. My main concerns are accuracy, stopping power, and whether or not there's any ammunition available in .22 at all that's too powerful for the cheaper aluminum alloy. ...And of course cost. I'm not made of money, which is why I opted for the Rough Rider in .22 in the first place.

How much does the specific ammo really matter, in an old style revolver with super basic fixed sights and a 4 3/4 inch barrel matter anyway?

And to the mods, I apologize if you feel this belongs in the ammo section instead, and feel free to move it. I just figured I might get a more specific answer here.

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: Heritage Rough Rider question(ammo related)

Not really a question that can be answered, ammo that shoots really well in one gun might not in another. In this case you'll probably be fine with whatever bulk pack .22 you get the cheapest, as rough riders are not precision pistols. As for wondering if any ammo is going to be too hot for it, not going to be an issue, if it can handle .22 magnum it will be able to handle whatever .22lr. Keep in mind while the frame is alloy the cylinder and barrel (which contain the pressure) are steel.

(Montgomery County)

The Rough Rider will eat anything you put through it, and in all likelihood, the round won't matter much for target shooting or otherwise. CCI's offerings for .22mag have been just fine for me. through about 200 rounds. I assume Fiocchi, Federal etc etc will be just fine as well. I would go for whatever you can get for least expensive.

I will say though, in my opinion, you're better off getting an inexpensive .380 or 9mm for self defense. I've never had a malfunction with my Rough Rider, but 6 rounds of even .22mag doesn't fill me with confidence. The M&P Shield comes to mind, as well as Bersa Thunder, as fairly inexpensive manageable pistols. You can buy steel cased ammo for cheaper than .22mag to practice with, and then keep one or two mags worth of self defense ammo. Just my two cents!
    I just love shooting.

(Lycoming County)

My .22lr/ 22 mag Rough Rider is horrible regardless of ammunition. Can't hit shit and it splits lead so bad that you don't wanna shoot it around anyone else because they get hit.

Also, every little machine screw vibrated loose on the first trip to the range and currently my cylinder gap is at .019 after about 1k to 2k rounds of .22lr. Only ever fired a few dozen magnums through it.

Just my 2 cents.. everyone else on the interwebz says they are accurate. I might have just got a lemon.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post
    My .22lr/ 22 mag Rough Rider is horrible regardless of ammunition. Can't hit shit and it splits lead so bad that you don't wanna shoot it around anyone else because they get hit.

Also, every little machine screw vibrated loose on the first trip to the range and currently my cylinder gap is at .019 after about 1k to 2k rounds of .22lr. Only ever fired a few dozen magnums through it.

Just my 2 cents.. everyone else on the interwebz says they are accurate. I might have just got a lemon.
    If it is spitting lead, it sounds like you have a timing problem and should send it back for warranty repair.

As to the OP:

How much does the specific ammo really matter, in an old style revolver with super basic fixed sights and a 4 3/4 inch barrel matter anyway?
    You answered your own question. This is a fun gun, for practice and plinking not a precision target gun, so get whatever you get the best deal on. Try a variety of brands and see which one shoots best for you, then go with that one. As you shoot more and get more familiar you will find that the differences might be more apparent, but for starters shoot the heck out of it.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gr1mfire View Post
    The Rough Rider will eat anything you put through it, and in all likelihood, the round won't matter much for target shooting or otherwise. CCI's offerings for .22mag have been just fine for me. through about 200 rounds. I assume Fiocchi, Federal etc etc will be just fine as well. I would go for whatever you can get for least expensive.

I will say though, in my opinion, you're better off getting an inexpensive .380 or 9mm for self defense. I've never had a malfunction with my Rough Rider, but 6 rounds of even .22mag doesn't fill me with confidence. The M&P Shield comes to mind, as well as Bersa Thunder, as fairly inexpensive manageable pistols. You can buy steel cased ammo for cheaper than .22mag to practice with, and then keep one or two mags worth of self defense ammo. Just my two cents!
    Know of a .380 or 9mm I can get for $150? Cuz that's all I'm paying for the gun and the transfer. I'm on a really tight budget.

Quote Originally Posted by kbcobra26 View Post

Mines a POS too when it comes to accuracy even at 5 yards. Not worth sending back since they don't issue RMA's and you have to pay return shipping as well.

So $60.00 for the trip isn't worth it to me for a $130.00 gun.

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    Know of a .380 or 9mm I can get for $150? Cuz that's all I'm paying for the gun and the transfer. I'm on a really tight budget.
    For $150.00 you can probably find a used Taurus TCP in .380 or maybe a Kel-Tech P3AT. I much prefer the Taurus vs the Kel-Tech in every way.

Personally I would take the time to save $25.00 to $50.00 more and get a Taurus G2 in 9mm. You might be able to find a used one locally. This is an affordable pistol that can be used for concealed carry or home defense and it has an excellent reliability track record. It has a decent trigger, good useable sights unlike the above .380's and it allows you to mount a light if you wanted down the line.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/taur...g2c931-12.html

If your absolutely unable to spend more check out the High point C9 especially if your looking for a home defense pistol. They are big, heavy, and ugly but they typically go boom and like the Taurus they have a lifetime warranty.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/225677
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 19th, 2020 at 01:39 AM.

(Franklin County)

Keep in mind when thinking about "if I ever have a need for self-defense"....the Rough Riders are single action, which means you have to manually cock the hammer before every shot.

They are great little guns for what they are, but that alone makes it less than ideal (in my mind) for potential self-defense. It's probably better than nothing at all, but if that's going to be a realistic part of its job, you'd better train like hell, because in an emergency, you're going to be pulling the trigger and wondering why nothing is happening.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    So $60.00 for the trip isn't worth it to me for a $130.00 gun.
    But you don't have a $130.00 gun. You have a $130 paperweight. I'd rather have a $260.00 Rough Rider that works properly than a $130.00 one that doesn't.

Since their warranty is only 1 year, to the original purchaser, and they don't pay the shipping either way, maybe you should see if you can find a local gunsmith to fix it.

I'll give you $65.00 for it, as is.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast