Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Heritage Rough Rider question(ammo related)

layaway & financing
    your friends in the gun world.
    you are on a limited budget but ideally want a SD handgun? i say ideally because you can't afford a utensil for every course, you are in spork territory.
    go to some LGS, feel some nicey things, find a range with rental, rent the one/s you liked. pop a few off and then with whatever is left, find the best price and plop some cash down on payments.
    in the end you will have a purchase you know pretty certain you are satisfied with and will do the job.
    this is the method i adopted after getting my first gun and being less than pleased.
    also don't fear using FFL's and online companies, it's not complicated.

trade stuff for ammo or buy small boxes if you have to.
    i wont argue caliber, .22 kills, 9mm kills, both fail to do it as well.
    i've had both go click when squeezed, .22 more so.
    heritage wasn't exactly designed for concealment, might be a wonky draw.
    if you just want a plinker, they're cool. if a dog attacks or a two legged animal, sure it'll put holes in them.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

.22 magnum is similarly priced to 9mm I believe.

Post a thread in the classifieds. I'm sure someone has a good, reliable 9mm gun they can sell to you in your budget. Give a brief description of your situation and I can almost guarantee a very good deal will be cut - true gun enthusiasts want everyone to be able to protect themselves, regardless of financial status.

For perhaps $20 more you may be able to go from a hi-point to a Ruger. The SR9 series is extremely affordable nowadays - especially used.

Edit - just re-read your original post that you have a 20gauge for the house. In that case, a 22LR rough Rider isn't a bad acquisition. But don't bother with the 22mag in my opinion due to ammo cost.

(Cumberland County)

Well, I posted an ad in the classified section, and that was a complete and utter mistake.

My budget is what it is. I can't just magic more money into existence, and I'm definitely not gonna enjoy a subcompact and have no desire to carry a gun every place I go. And if I would bother carrying one, something I can't get a comfortable or secure grip on is absolutely worthless. I'd be better off with nunchucks because even if I don't know how to use them properly, I can at least hit someone with them.

One of these days I'm gonna learn my lesson about bothering with forums...
    Last edited by DerpSchnitzel; January 21st, 2020 at 10:01 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    Well, I posted an ad in the classified section, and that was a complete and utter mistake.

My budget is what it is. I can't just magic more money into existence, and I'm definitely not gonna enjoy a subcompact and have no desire to carry a gun every place I go. And if I would bother carrying one, something I can't get a comfortable or secure grip on is absolutely worthless. I'd be better off with nunchucks because even if I don't know how to use them properly, I can at least hit someone with them.

One of these days I'm gonna learn my lesson about bothering with forums...
    Can you explain what happened?

I think your intentions were misunderstood (at least by me). The first thing you have to determine when purchasing a firearm is what you plan to use it for. Home defense, target shooting, hunting, carrying, etc. Some firearms can excel at multiple categories, most can't, and you'll compromise with all of them.

For target shooting, a .22LR single action revolver is great fun. For carrying or home defense - it's not. So if you don't plan to carry it, and you have a 20 gauge shotgun for the house - yes it's a good option. Guns are like kitchen knives - ideally you have to have a few for each specific task.

And also subcompacts can be practiced with - you can't expect to be proficient right away. Yes they're more difficult to master than a full size handgun, but they can certainly be shot well and are much better self defense tools than nunchucks (I know you were just being facetious, but still).

(Cumberland County)

Well I get told my budget is too low, which I kind of already knew anyway, then after talking to the wife I about doubled it and found what I actually would WANT, within that budget, and now I'm being told I need to increase it again or buy a gun I know I won't be happy with. And then some people are all "well why don't you get a .44 magnum?"

I love 1911s, they're comfortable as hell, they look nice, and they're battle tested. I found some Star BM 9mms online for around $200, so I decided I wanted that, and I got a buncha comments about how it's too heavy to carry all day long, and how I should get a subcompact. The Bersa Thunder is as small as I wanna go. I have small hands, but not THAT damn small.

(Lehigh County)

Well I get told my budget is too low, which I kind of already knew anyway, then after talking to the wife I about doubled it and found what I actually would WANT, within that budget, and now I'm being told I need to increase it again or buy a gun I know I won't be happy with. And then some people are all "well why don't you get a .44 magnum?"

I love 1911s, they're comfortable as hell, they look nice, and they're battle tested. I found some Star BM 9mms online for around $200, so I decided I wanted that, and I got a buncha comments about how it's too heavy to carry all day long, and how I should get a subcompact. The Bersa Thunder is as small as I wanna go. I have small hands, but not THAT damn small.
    Just ignore the naysayers and such other silly folks. Star makes a good gun and if you like that style, get it and shoot it. The all steel is heavy, but that reduces felt recoil, and in the days before plastic guns like Glocks, these were the standard carry for a lot of folks. I know a few people who prefer the all steel, even if it not as easy to carry as some new plastic fantastic wondergun. It all depends on YOUR preferences and your body.

Once you learn to ignore, or take the crap with a grain of salt, there is a lot of good info that passes thru this forum. Most all is not intended as anything personal, just the nature of the beast.
    Good luck with your venture.
    Last edited by gghbi; January 21st, 2020 at 11:33 AM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Chester County)

There are plenty of girlie men on the forums that carrying a 1911 is too much for them that's why they invented Glocks. Carry what you like and what you are comfortable with.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Just ignore the naysayers and such other silly folks. Star makes a good gun and if you like that style, get it and shoot it. The all steel is heavy, but that reduces felt recoil, and in the days before plastic guns like Glocks, these were the standard carry for a lot of folks. I know a few people who prefer the all steel, even if it not as easy to carry as some new plastic fantastic wondergun. It all depends on YOUR preferences and your body.

Once you learn to ignore, or take the crap with a grain of salt, there is a lot of good info that passes thru this forum. Most all is not intended as anything personal, just the nature of the beast.
    Good luck with your venture.
    That's exactly the plan, thank you. I have no desire to carry, but I'd rather carry a gun that's comfortable, that I can feel confident shooting than a "noisy cricket."

Out of all the handguns I've ever held, the luger, the 1911, and the HK USP 9 were the most comfortable. And the first and last are way outta my league/budget.
    Last edited by DerpSchnitzel; January 21st, 2020 at 12:40 PM.

a good belt mitigates the weight.
    having it all tugged down and slapping at your one side gets tiring real quick even with a compact.
    but a good proper belt distributes the weight and a few mags counterbalance. you can carry all day and not notice.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Clearfield County)

Its kind of a universal rule that "what should I buy" threads only get responses of people telling you what they want to buy.

I absolutely stand by what I said before. A gun that you can afford to become proficient with is a much better asset than something some jackass on the internet told you to buy because his wife won't let him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast