Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Heritage Rough Rider question(ammo related)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    For $150.00 you can probably find a used Taurus TCP in .380 or maybe a Kel-Tech P3AT. I much prefer the Taurus vs the Kel-Tech in every way.

Personally I would take the time to save $25.00 to $50.00 more and get a Taurus G2 in 9mm. You might be able to find a used one locally. This is an affordable pistol that can be used for concealed carry or home defense and it has an excellent reliability track record. It has a decent trigger, good useable sights unlike the above .380's and it allows you to mount a light if you wanted down the line.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/taur...g2c931-12.html

If your absolutely unable to spend more check out the High point C9 especially if your looking for a home defense pistol. They are big, heavy, and ugly but they typically go boom and like the Taurus they have a lifetime warranty.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst....cfm/ID/225677
    Completely agree with Hodg on this.
    Spend a few dollars more and get yourself a reliable and effective 9mm.
    22 cal is not a self defense round, neither is 20 gauge for that matter.
    Lots of guys here train people new to self defense shooting, just reach out if you are looking to learn.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

As much as people despise them and ridicule them for their aesthetics, and bad fit or finish, no one can deny their durability or reliability as well as iron clad warranty
    Hi Point.
    These are marketed just for those people on limited budget
    /thread

PS after looking at some of the new pistols that have come out recently, to me, there is a huge amount of equally hideous guns out there with thier tacticool rails and BS garbage all over an otherwise perfectly functional pistol
    Just my opinion
    Last edited by bigandy1966; January 19th, 2020 at 09:01 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I think a used Ruger LC9S or EC9S may be in your budget. Same with a used Taurus G2C.

The rough Rider is a good firearm in my opinion but only for fun - not defense.

(Franklin County)

To answer the ammo question: It sounds like you are on a tight budget, get the cheapest 22lr ammo you can find. The RR will shoot it fine. The RR is a range plinking gun only (not a home defense gun). Don't mess around with the 22 mag cylinder, it cost more to shoot and isn't any more fun at the range.
    For home defense, if all you have is a 20G shotgun, then that's what you have. Get some defensive ammo and take it to the range and learn to shoot it.
    Save up for a decent defensive pistol in 9mm (9mm is cheaper to shoot than any defensive round).
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

As far as accuracy, my Rough Rider with the 6.5” is much better than the one with the 4.75” but even that one shoots fairly accurate at about 15 yards. I have not used either extensively but I have no complaints with the quality of either and neither is case hardened. I don’t shoot with the 22 mag cylinder very much but when I did I used Federal Game Shok. I use just about any lr ammo I can get, Remington, Winchester or Federal Target Loads. For a cheap .22 plinker I really like the Rough Rider.
    Navy ⚓️ 1965–1969

(Clearfield County)

I will absolutely go against the grain and stay stick with a .22 in this situation. The price difference on ammo is huge, and a .22 you can practice with is a hell of a lot better in for self defense than a .45 you can't.

The $150 he would spend on something else would be much better spent on 5,000 rounds of .22 so he can learn how to shoot first.

(Cumberland County)

I was actually considering a 9mm before, but most of what I found was outta my budget or much smaller than I'd like. But now I'm actually looking into the C9 as a possible option as of this morning, even before having read the new responses just now. I even found one with a speed loader for about $20 less than the rough rider.

My only real concern with that is it seems to prefer hot ammo, and that can get pricey, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

As for the 20 gauge, my reasoning was that my wife can use it too if needed, and I think she'd struggle with a 12 gauge, but also, I don't want crazy penetration, as I live in a trailer park and would prefer not killing my neighbors accidentally in the process of shooting a bad guy in my house.

I do know HOW to shoot; I've fired several M1 carbines, 2 K98s, at least 3 Mosins, a single action army colt in .44mag and .45, a random 30-06 hunting rifle, and various random 12 gauges. But I'm not trained by any means. I wouldn't bet any money on my accuracy, but I don't need "training wheels" so to speak. .22 is cheap, and .22 pistols dip lower in price from what I've seen. I hadn't seen anything cheaper than a rough rider, so that's why I was looking at it. But I'm also not trying to be macho or an ammo snob or whatever. My main overall priority is cost. But again, I do want something I can use if I ever need it, in addition to wanting it for fun at the range.

One thing I do know I need to do is take a look at the used stuff at the local shops. I haven't gotten there yet because it's easier to look up specs and reviews and whatnot on a computer as soon as I see something within my budget, and I kinda feel weird asking "too many" questions at the gun shop cuz of the climate right now.
    Last edited by DerpSchnitzel; January 19th, 2020 at 04:27 PM.

(Clearfield County)

Knowing the basic mechanics of shooting isn't the same as marksmanship, being able to hit what you intend to hit is pretty vital in a gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    Completely agree with Hodg on this.
    Spend a few dollars more and get yourself a reliable and effective 9mm.
    22 cal is not a self defense round, neither is 20 gauge for that matter.
    Lots of guys here train people new to self defense shooting, just reach out if you are looking to learn.
    Bern-
    Are you referring to a 20 gauge handgun? A 20 gauge shotgun is right decent for self defense.

Rick

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Knowing the basic mechanics of shooting isn't the same as marksmanship, being able to hit what you intend to hit is pretty vital in a gunfight.
    I'm aware of that, I'm just saying I can deal with a little recoil and understand how sights work. I absolutely intend to practice and improve my marksmanship, regardless of what I end up purchasing. And you're 100% right about the price of .22 ammo. Whatever I do get though, I think .45 is too expensive, and 9mm is sufficient, if .22 magnum is not, in a pinch.
    Last edited by DerpSchnitzel; January 19th, 2020 at 05:52 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast