Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default State License & Obtaining a license to carry a firearm

I live in Wayne County, PA but I work in New York City my job there requires me to have a NY drivers license. How do I obtain a license to have and/or carry a firearm in PA? How would that work?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: State License & Obtaining a license to carry a firearm

If your primary residence is in PA, you're required to have a PA DL: https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...Residents.aspx
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Montgomery County)

Unless you have a PA driver's license, you won't be able to obtain a License to Carry Firearms in this situation. You'd need a firearm license from New York in order to get a Pennsylvania non-resident license, but assuming your 'old' address was NYC, then I doubt you had/have a firearms license.

You don't need a license to carry to purchase or possess (with many limitations) a firearm in PA, but again you need your PA driver's license to purchase a handgun for sure OR all of your NY firearms credentials to purchase a rifle/shotgun - but the FFL must be willing to sell to a NY resident, and the item must be legal in NY so you won't even be able to get the good stuff.

Basically you're in a tough spot. What the hell is that commute anyway? Look for a new job nearby and establish your residency.

Another benefit of changing your residence is you can vote here, and you can vote pro-freedom, pro-second amendment, etc.

(Monroe County)

So some state agency in NY requires you to have a NY DL which technically is against the law. When you are a Pa resident you get a Pa DL and surrender your NY DL. Are you a cop, fireman or city worker that is pretending to still have a NY residence. I knew many who did that over the years.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    So some state agency in NY requires you to have a NY DL which technically is against the law. When you are a Pa resident you get a Pa DL and surrender your NY DL. Are you a cop, fireman or city worker that is pretending to still have a NY residence. I knew many who did that over the years.
    same here..
    i had to do the same for a short time when i was affiliated with CBP out of newark, they allowed a NYC resident but not a PA resident.. long story!! but i didnt find that out until after i moved to PA

but i know a few guys, some on here, that live here, but have new york city or state jobs and are waiting to retire so they dont lose their benefits, so i can understand where the OP is coming from

its a slippery slope, chances are the OP is either NYPD, or Transit Authority, those are really the only 2 CITY agencies that break b*lls on stuff like this so the OP has to show a NYC address to retain his position and credentials, NYFD requires DL if you actually drive the vehicles, you can actually tell the FD you dont have a DL, its not a requirement unless your position IS to drive a vehicle
    Last edited by ghost183; January 17th, 2020 at 10:53 PM.

(Berks County)

It sounds to me like the requirement to have a NY DL is somewhat of a misrepresentation. I'm more likely to believe that the job requires the OP to be a NY resident. Driver's license coincides with state of residence.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Wayne County)

well yah...
    its the only bonafide proof of residecy one can provide to anyone requiring it, hence their requirement for a NY DL..

i went thru it, but found a reasonable alternative and walked away from CBP in newark

(Bucks County)

You already have a NY drivers license? Own a home in Pa? Reside in Pa? Why not go and get a Pa non- DL Identification card? You cannot have two DL’s, but who says you can’t get an ID from your state of residence? Lots of folks do not drive, and they have state ID.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    You already have a NY drivers license? Own a home in Pa? Reside in Pa? Why not go and get a Pa non- DL Identification card? You cannot have two DL’s, but who says you can’t get an ID from your state of residence? Lots of folks do not drive, and they have state ID.
    Except that you have to answer questions regarding if you have ever had a PA drivers license, or currently have a drivers license from another state . IANAL, but answering these questions falsely may be a felony.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Except that you have to answer questions regarding if you have ever had a PA drivers license, or currently have a drivers license from another state . IANAL, but answering these questions falsely may be a felony.
    I did not remember that. Good catch! Thanks for pointing it out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast